Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-08, 02:51 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Speakers...

Well, I'm thinking my LXI's are getting ready to give up the ghost. They just aren't sounding as good as they used to, and are distorting even in the ranges they're designed to handle. They're great speakers, only pair I've ever heard that sounded better are my two tower Curtis Mathes. Those rock like you're front row at a concert if you're listening to music, and front row like you're in a theater if you're watching a movie. But I've modified those while my LXI's remain stock. Here's my LXI's... yes they're old, but they did the job and did it with excellence.

So... what I'm wanting is another set of tower speakers. I'm wanting the best "bang-for-buck" speakers. I'm not looking to spend $1600 just for two speakers. I could do $250, maybe $300 for the pair plus tax. What I'm needing to know is:

1.)What are some good places to purchase from on-line, like a "Newegg.com" but only for good quality speakers at a realistic price?

2.)And then some recommendations as to what speakers would do good for the price.

Size isn't an issue, as it they can't be too big. The two towers I already have stand about 4' tall and probably weigh a good 80lbs each, atleast.

Thanks ya'll.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 12:15 AM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Speakers...

So nobody has any input? All you A/V enthusiasts here, where do you purchase your gear? Is what I'm seeking not in existance?

I've been browsing deal-time, and I'm seeing a bunch of speakers that seem decent, and within my price range, just not sure about the actual stores themselves. I suppose if they're listed on Dealtime then they're pretty reliable places to purchase from. Just rather here some feedback from actual customers that I trust (hence, fellow forum members here) if possible.
Old 02-15-08, 12:27 AM   #3
ntsck
*BANNED*

Check out www.av123.com . Specifically the Onix Rocket RS760 tower:

http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop...mart&Itemid=37

Unbeatable for the price. Hm, but for your price range, maybe the 250's?

You can put them on stands for tower listening height....
ntsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 12:29 AM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsck
Check out www.av123.com . Specifically the Onix Rocket RS760 tower:

Unbeatable for the price.

Um, thanks- but that is *way* out of my price range. I need a *pair* for *no more* than $300 dollars. I guess, by many folks standard those will be the "bottom of the barrel" speakers, but I'm just neading a recommendation as to which would be the best set to get for that price range.

No way I can afford near $1200 for just one speaker. That's $2400 for a pair... sure they sound devine, just not within my budget.

Thank you, though.
Old 02-15-08, 12:30 AM   #5
ntsck
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed

Um, thanks- but that is *way* out of my price range. I need a *pair* for *no more* than $300 dollars. I guess, by many folks standard those will be the "bottom of the barrel" speakers, but I'm just neading a recommendation as to which would be the best set to get for that price range.

No way I can afford near $1200 for just one speaker. That's $2400 for a pair... sure they sound devine, just not within my budget.

Thank you, though.
Price is per pair.

Quote:
Price is per pair of speakers.
Check out the other set I linked in my edit.
Old 02-15-08, 12:32 AM   #6
ntsck
*BANNED*

Or check out the next line down?

http://av123.com/index.php?option=co...d=21&Itemid=37

Well in your range. I am not affiliated with them, I just LOVE their stuff.
Old 02-15-08, 12:43 AM   #7
Redeemed

Hey thanks man!

^^I'm really liking those, though they're a bit more than I was willing to spend. I'm gonna' wait a bit longer and see if anybody else has any input before making a decision. But those are looking excellent!
Old 02-15-08, 11:37 AM   #8
Redeemed

*sigh*...

Old 02-15-08, 03:03 PM   #9
Gnaddel

It's not easy to give people advice regarding speakers. Also, remember speakers are regional good. I don't know any american speaker label. I could recommend you brands like Teufel, Quadral or Nubert ( www.quadral.com, www.nubert.de and www.teufel.de) but these don't even seem to be sold in the US.

The only advice I can give is to listen to the speakers you will buy. Isn't there some HiFI shop "Atop a horse, with [your] rifle, on some lone mountain range..."?

Audiatur et altera pars!
Gnaddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 03:34 PM   #10
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

what about those Klipsch 2.1 pair? i am sure you have heared of those....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 11:56 PM   #11
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaddel
It's not easy to give people advice regarding speakers. Also, remember speakers are regional good. I don't know any american speaker label. I could recommend you brands like Teufel, Quadral or Nubert ( www.quadral.com, www.nubert.de and www.teufel.de) but these don't even seem to be sold in the US.

The only advice I can give is to listen to the speakers you will buy. Isn't there some HiFI shop "Atop a horse, with [your] rifle, on some lone mountain range..."?

There are some local shops here, but they're super expensive. For a pair that sound comparable to the two towers I already have... I'm looking at like $400 atleast for a single speaker. I guess I could head by those shops again and have a quick peek, it has been a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget
what about those Klipsch 2.1 pair? i am sure you have heared of those....
Wrong *kind* of speakers. Thanks for the input though...
Old 02-16-08, 01:07 AM   #12
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

sowwy, didnt see "tower speakers"
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote