Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-08, 03:50 PM   #1
nielsb

Default External projector, 640x480 resolution and EDID (or rather missing EDID)

It seems (after having read several threads) that there is a problem when trying to connect an external VGA projector to a Linux box with NVidia drivers - when the projector isn't supplying EDID info (or NVIDIA can't seem to capture it), and earlier this week I experienced the same issue.

My hardware and software:
MacBook Pro (3:rd generation, Santa Rosa) 2.4 GHz cpu, 4 Gig RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with the 169.12 x64 drivers
Ubuntu 7.10 x64

I was speaking at a conference Monday, Tuesday and when I tried to hook up my laptop to the external projector (NEC portable, fairly modern), which supports 1024x768. I used nvidia-settings, but nvidia-settings reported the projector as a CRT-0 with maximum resolution of 640x480.

So, I had to run under that resolution, and I can tell you it is no fun trying to demo code like that :-(. I did boot into my OSX partition and against the same projector with the same cabling etc, OSX picked it up, projector type, resolution etc and I could run under the 1024x768 resolution (unfortunately I didn't have the necessary software installed on OSX to be able to do my demos).

Now, I cannot say to 100% that the EDID info wasn't sent (or picked up) as I didn't check any logs or ran the bug report tool. It seems however that it is the case due to other threads about the same issue.

So my questions are:
1. if there is anything that can be done about it - i.e. other OS's with the same graphic cards (on the same machine) can handle it, why cannot the Linux drivers do it?
2. I've seen some threads where they have a specific xorg config file, to handle this situation, but that solution seems very iffy to me. So is there no way to force (by nvidia-settings) a bigger resolution? I.e. the projector supports a bigger resolution, so why is nvidia not letting me set a resolution?

Thanks!!!

Niels
nielsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 08:37 PM   #2
Xinef

Default Re: External projector, 640x480 resolution and EDID (or rather missing EDID)

Hello,

Up to now, I have had that kind of issues chronically with my laptop computer (during conferences this is truly troublesome). It seems to be broken and then fixed every new driver version... Anyways, this is a problem that the open source (default) nv driver doesn't seem to have. This usually happens with an analog connection via D-SUB cable.

It also seems that many projector have a corrupted EDID (if any) and that most drivers ignore it if it detects the corruption. This is an issue when you use a digital connection like using DVI (D) cable. The BenQ projectors appear to be some of the most painful cases: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...8&#entry324268
shows how it is best handled so far.
In any case, the 8xxx family drivers are still fairly unstable, not to talk about the linux factor...

Anyways, my guess is you were using a D-SUB connector and that a simple update of your drivers should give you better luck very soon. In the worst case, try some of the older drivers or the beta version.
In the mean time, I am also very interested in a potential way to force the resolution and refresh rate, if a command line exists.
I would really like to be able to program a keyboard shortcut to activate the external display, in clone mode with default 1024x768@60Hz mode...
Xinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 01:58 AM   #3
weltall

Default Re: External projector, 640x480 resolution and EDID (or rather missing EDID)

i've experienced the same problems with my crt monitor (w/ acer 5920G laptop). But in this case i'm sure the edid is ok as i get it to work correctly on the desktop pc (with an XFX 7600GS) and i copied the edid from my main computer to the laptop to make it work (i force the edid.bin file from xorg.org) but no way to get the edid directly from the laptop (which has 8600M GT)
my earlier post were always ignored ... i hope this will get fixed soon as in three months i will find myself in your same situation and i will need 800x600.
as of now i've tried every stable and released version from september and always had this problem...
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 02:35 AM   #4
nielsb

Hi Xinef!

Thanks for the reply, I really do appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinef
Anyways, my guess is you were using a D-SUB connector and that a simple update of your drivers should give you better luck very soon. In the worst case, try some of the older drivers or the beta version.
In the mean time, I am also very interested in a potential way to force the resolution and refresh rate, if a command line exists.
I would really like to be able to program a keyboard shortcut to activate the external display, in clone mode with default 1024x768@60Hz mode...
I connected with a DVI-VGA cable (as the Mac has only DVI output). The driver's didn't make any difference, I tried first with the existing nvidia drivers that were installed while ago (100.something) and then with the 169 drivers.

My main gripe here is (I think), that exactly the same setup (apart from OS) works beautifully, i.e the same MacBook Pro, the same projector, the same cabling, but using OSX. What makes this even more infuriating is that it also works using Linux, but with another graphics card; i.e. my MacBook (not Pro) - running Ubuntu 7.10 - with Intel graphics, connects great to that particular projector; gets the projector information, name, resolutions, etc. So IMHO this is definitely a NVIDIA problem.

Niels
Old 03-13-08, 02:43 AM   #5
nielsb

Hi Weltall,

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltall
i've experienced the same problems with my crt monitor (w/ acer 5920G laptop). But in this case i'm sure the edid is ok as i get it to work correctly on the desktop pc (with an XFX 7600GS) and i copied the edid from my main computer to the laptop to make it work (i force the edid.bin file from xorg.org) but no way to get the edid directly from the laptop (which has 8600M GT)
my earlier post were always ignored ... i hope this will get fixed soon as in three months i will find myself in your same situation and i will need 800x600.
as of now i've tried every stable and released version from september and always had this problem...
Yes, I feel your frustration!! This is clearly an NVIDIA issue (I say in my ignorance), seeing how the same hardware but different OS can connect fine, plus the fact that against the same projector my MacBook (not Pro) running Ubuntu as well, with Intel graphics works just fine; it can see what type of projector it is, what resolutions, etc, etc.

Niels
Old 03-13-08, 03:41 AM   #6
pe1chl

When you want support from nvidia, you need to run their bugreport script as described in the sticky posts. With the X server running with verbose logging. The output file will contain details about what is going wrong.
To solve the problem you can capture the EDID in an environment where it works OK, save it in a file, and provide that file as a parameter in the xorg.conf
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 06:11 AM   #7
nielsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
When you want support from nvidia, you need to run their bugreport script as described in the sticky posts. With the X server running with verbose logging. The output file will contain details about what is going wrong.
Yes, I'm aware of that - now . Unfortunately, when this happened to me I wasn't aware of this being a problem, seeing that I've been able to connect other Linux boxes (not NVIDIA based obviously) to the same projector, so in my mind I didn't even think it would be a problem. Right now I'm not anywhere close to a projcetor, in order to generate a bug-report. I thought however that by now, NVIDIA would have had enough bug-reports about this particular problem, seeing the number of threads (with bug-report included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
To solve the problem you can capture the EDID in an environment where it works OK, save it in a file, and provide that file as a parameter in the xorg.conf
Yes, I'm aware of work-arounds - now, after the problem occured. Next time I'm where these projectors are I'll test it, and use it.

However, this has to be fixed, as it clearly is an NVIDIA issue (NVIDIA on Linux), and I would have hoped to see something "official" -along the lines of; "we are aware of the problem, and we are working on a solution", and not as it is - a deafening silence.

Niels
Old 03-13-08, 09:07 AM   #8
weltall

this is the post i did months ago (back on the 100.x.x series)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...60&postcount=5
no answers back.
at the end you can clearly see:
SetClientVersion: 0 9
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0

Old 03-13-08, 11:42 AM   #9
nielsb

Hi weltall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltall
this is the post i did months ago (back on the 100.x.x series)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...60&postcount=5
no answers back.
at the end you can clearly see:
SetClientVersion: 0 9
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
Exactly, this is what I mean with the "deafening" silence. A bugreport has been placed, there are other threads about this issue as well - but still no reaction. And what makes it even more infuriating is that this is clearly an NVIDIA on Linux issue. It's not OS, it's not hardware. It's NVIDIA who cannot see/handle/do the right thing with what information (or lack of information) that is received from the projector.

I am a recent switcher to Linux, coming from Windows, then Mac and finally now Linux. However I make my living doing presentations/teaching around the world - so being able to hook up to a projector is vital. I've seen some of the hacks "floating" around, and next time I'm nearby one of these projectors, I'll test it out. But once again. NVIDIA has to fix it - other video driver manufacturers running on Linux handles this correctly, why not NVIDIA?!!!

OK, I better stop ranting :-)

Niels
Old 03-13-08, 08:23 PM   #10
Xinef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsb
I make my living doing presentations/teaching around the world - so being able to hook up to a projector is vital.
That's the point. Workarounds and all are very nice, considered that they are the only way to get things to work.
But when you have less than 2 minutes to setup your computer and make your presentation, you have other things to think than getting an EDID of the projector (that you will most likely use this one time only), and then force your drivers to take it into account.
In MacOS or Windows, you just press a keyboard shortcut, and the projector is detected, the display configured and you're ready to go in 5 seconds at max. I would like to be able to do the same thing. 80% of the projectors I've been seeing lately are 1024x768@60Hz, and the few remaining are either 800x600@60 or 1280x1024@60. No need for EDID, it would already be great to be able to tell the driver to just send the GD signal.
Xinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 08:04 AM   #11
weltall

and not only that i can't even output in pal modes trough the svideo connector which is way annoying. just to make sure i did a bugreport with verbosity set to 10. it clearly states the ctr0 edid problem!
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (34.4 KB, 154 views)