Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-08, 06:58 AM   #1
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Default XFX 680i LT O/C Lockup Win XP

Hi all. Running in to a little problem. I just picked up a XFX 680i lt board and from I've been reading is a great O/C board. It even advertise as being extreme overclocking on the box. Well, I can't nudge it at all dispite using the 680i guides that are out on the net. Even just a slight bump to the fsb(220 or so) locks up the system a few seconds in to windows.

My specs:

XFX 680i LT
E4500(stock cooler)
evga 8800gts 512(back from team red )
2gigs Crucial Balistix 5300
Antec 500Earthwatt PS(sonata III case)
Win XP sp2, all updates.

Also have the NV system software loaded, 6.10 I believe.

Now I can run stable at spec and everthing on auto. The slightest hint of an OC and it boots up to XP but freezes 5 seconds in, everytime.

Thanks
Old 03-28-08, 07:16 AM   #2
elitegamer
*BANNED*

Default Re: XFX 680i LT O/C Lockup Win XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
Hi all. Running in to a little problem. I just picked up a XFX 680i lt board and from I've been reading is a great O/C board. It even advertise as being extreme overclocking on the box. Well, I can't nudge it at all dispite using the 680i guides that are out on the net. Even just a slight bump to the fsb(220 or so) locks up the system a few seconds in to windows.

My specs:

XFX 680i LT
E4500(stock cooler)
evga 8800gts 512(back from team red )
2gigs Crucial Balistix 5300
Antec 500Earthwatt PS(sonata III case)
Win XP sp2, all updates.

Also have the NV system software loaded, 6.10 I believe.

Now I can run stable at spec and everthing on auto. The slightest hint of an OC and it boots up to XP but freezes 5 seconds in, everytime.

Thanks

Unless you plan to go SLI you should have not even bothered with the POS 680I board and should have instead purchased an intel P35 or something along those lines.

Intel boards are far far far more stable and overclock without all of the fuss that you get out of the 680I boards not to mention all the instability issues and FSB holes that still plague Nvidia Chipsets.
elitegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 07:34 AM   #3
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Well I did have an Asus P5K(P35) but had nothing but issues with that board even at stock settings or spec settings. After researching there was a ton of negative feedback about Asus bios and quality going down hill. So after two of those boards boot and post issues I went with this board. Put it together, booted right up, always boots. It just won't O/C the least bit. I just tried a 7 fsb increase and it locked windows.

I thought SLI would be nice for future upgrades when that time comes where a game I'm playing could use the added horsepower. Simple upgrade(I think).

I dunno, have a few days off of work and just want to get a stable machine with a decent O/C being everything I read these e4500 do 3.0MHz no sweat.

I may just go get that Gigabyte board that supports DDR2-3. I've read nothing but good things about GB.

Not to mention this boards N and S bridge fans scream. Not good.
Old 03-28-08, 07:47 AM   #4
elitegamer
*BANNED*

Quote:
Well I did have an Asus P5K(P35) but had nothing but issues with that board even at stock settings or spec settings. After researching there was a ton of negative feedback about Asus bios and quality going down hill. So after two of those boards boot and post issues I went with this board. Put it together, booted right up, always boots. It just won't O/C the least bit. I just tried a 7 fsb increase and it locked windows.

I thought SLI would be nice for future upgrades when that time comes where a game I'm playing could use the added horsepower. Simple upgrade(I think).

I dunno, have a few days off of work and just want to get a stable machine with a decent O/C being everything I read these e4500 do 3.0MHz no sweat.

I may just go get that Gigabyte board that supports DDR2-3. I've read nothing but good things about GB.

Not to mention this boards N and S bridge fans scream. Not good.

Yeah im sorry but I should have mentioned to stay away from Asus, now my last board was an Asus P5b Deluxe and that was a great board and I never had an issue with it at all but from what I have heard the asus P35 boards etc are horrible.

Gigabyte is the way to go, they make really good P35 boards and are highly recommended. What resolution do you game at anyway? with all these dual cards coming out you really do not need to worry about having an SLI board anyway.

Intel board + 9800GX2 card is the best and most stable way to go if SLI is a must for you.
Old 03-28-08, 09:27 AM   #5
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Uninstalled Nvidia nForce System Tools and no lockups lol.
Old 03-28-08, 11:33 AM   #6
elitegamer
*BANNED*

Quote:
Uninstalled Nvidia nForce System Tools and no lockups lol.
Sweet, at least you found the problem.