Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-08, 05:11 PM   #1
luother

Default No PowerMizer Settings in 169.12? Change Performance Level?

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell XPS 1330 with Geforce 8400M GS and installed the 169.12 Driver today.
I recognized that it features the PowerMizer Feature and Displays its state.

Is there a way to change Attributes like the Performance Level? There is a difference of about 4Watt on my Notebook between Performance Level 0 and 2 on an IDLE Desktop and I think that PL 0 is enough for browsing and writing Documents.

Thanks for Hints,

Is maybe the 171 Beta Driver capable? I can't try it this week.

-luother
Old 03-19-08, 05:41 PM   #2
shaundennie

Default Re: No PowerMizer Settings in 169.12? Change Performance Level?

I have essentially the same laptop and, as far as I know, there is no way to directly change the PowerMizer settings. There are indirect ways to nudge it to maximum power but, if you aren't using any hacks, by default, the card will spin down to the lowest power level after 60 seconds of being relatively idle (30 seconds to go into medium power and another 30 to go to lowest power). That's actually a pretty decent setting while on battery but, if you enable CoolBits (just search this forum for how to do so), it's possible that you could underclock the card to the lowest power setting at all times while on batteries but, I've never tried that and don't know if it actually works.
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote