Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-08, 03:52 AM   #1
HenryHu

Default compiz (or other Composite WM ) + glxgears (or other OpenGL app) = crash

I've submitted a PR for this. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=124638
If I start any composite window manager ( compiz, kwin4 + desktop effects, metacity + composite enabled ), and then start any OpenGL application (glxgears, stellarium, ...), the X would crash immediately.
I've found nothing useful in the log files.

nvidia-bug-report attached.

PS. I've seen other people reporting similar issue in other threads.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116152

PPS. There's no problem with driver 169.12. There are problems with 173.*, 177.*
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (20.2 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by HenryHu; 08-23-08 at 03:59 AM. Reason: more information available.
HenryHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 06:33 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: compiz (or other Composite WM ) + glxgears (or other OpenGL app) = crash

Thank you for your report. I was able to reproduce and fix this crash today. The problem should be resolved in the next 177.xx BETA driver release.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:50 PM   #3
rnejdl

Default Re: compiz (or other Composite WM ) + glxgears (or other OpenGL app) = crash

Zander,

That is most welcome news. I will grab the new beta as soon as you post it. For the longest time I wasn't sure if it was something I had misconfigured and only until recently was I able to affirm that it was the driver.

Rusty
rnejdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 12:59 AM   #4
NeHe

I also reported this problem, and in the 177.67 driver the crashing with OpenGL in Native BSD and using Linux Emulation seems to be fixed (have not done a lot of testing, but was able to play ET without issues)... however, whenever I run a wine application (any type of game or demo), I experience the exact same crash. Nothing reported in the logs... X just shuts down. Are you able to fix this problem as well? In wine, it seems like the crash happens the minute the system goes into fullscreen mode. I was trying to run a demo called 1995 (which works fine with the 169.x driver) in an 800x600 virtual desktop... and although I selected to run it in a window, my screen still flicked and went fullscreen, then X crashed.

I'm running BSD 7.x (latest), sources are up to date, no major kernel customizations, other than loading cam and sound. Gnome 2.22 (latest in tree), and compiz. Nvidia 8800 GTS card, and 177.67 driver
NeHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 08:07 AM   #5
rnejdl

Although I don't know for sure if this will be fixed, wine uses OpenGL acceleration and would suffer from the same problem as mentioned earlier since you are using compiz. I bet if you disable compiz, your crash will go away. I believe this is what Zander has claimed to have fixed.

Rusty Nejdl
Old 08-24-08, 09:10 AM   #6
HenryHu

Thanks a lot for the fix. Now I can use stellarium with compiz, and not worrying about careless crash.
Old 08-24-08, 10:00 PM   #7
NeHe

Ok, I guess I was completely wrong... I did some more testing tonight, and found that although Enemy Territory (which I was certain was an OpenGL game) runs just fine with 177.67/compiz/etc... a simple game like Neverball crashes the system just like before. After disabling compositing everything runs fine, including wine.

So what am I missing here? Is there something special about ET that allows it to run fullscreen in OpenGL, or am I completely off?

I'm happy that the crashing is resolved for those people not running compiz, but I enjoy compiz... and would rather not sacrifice one for the other. Compiz and OpenGL applications ran fine in 169.X so what changed since then?

Last edited by NeHe; 08-24-08 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Not enough testing done before posting last comment.
NeHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 12:22 PM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

To clarify: the problem I fixed was a crash running glxgears with Compiz already running; this problem was a regression introduced after 169.xx, i.e. present in 173.xx and all 177.xx BETA builds available at this point.

@NeHe: the problem was related to the delivery of DAMAGE events, so I expect ET would also crash if run in a window.

Old 08-25-08, 12:51 PM   #9
rnejdl

Zander,

This very much fits the general description of what I am seeing, which is when running either Compiz or KDE compositing, running an opengl app, such as stellarium or wine, will cause X to hard crash. Do you know when you will be able to post this updated beta for us to test with as I am eager to see how KDE4 does with it? So far, the results are quite nice although this is still a show stopper for me.

Rusty Nejdl
Old 08-25-08, 01:08 PM   #10
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Hopefully very soon, but as always, I can't promise a specific date.
Old 08-27-08, 11:08 AM   #11
HenryHu

Zander,

I've tried the new 177.68 driver, and the problem still exists. I'm sorry.
But if I set "DamageEvents" to "false", then the X doesn't crash, but glxgears runs at ~600 FPS with composite, and ~1200 without it. (It was ~5000 without composite when "DamageEvents" was set to "true"). Does it means that 177.68 hasn't included the fix ?
The crash happens in glXSwapBuffers().
Old 08-27-08, 12:56 PM   #12
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@HenryHu: correct, the 177.68 NVIDIA BETA graphics driver build predates my fixes and is expected to behave as you describe. My hope is that an updated BETA driver will become available very soon.