Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-08, 08:27 PM   #1
bitmage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 32
Thumbs down 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Same symptoms as always, hard lock, no error messages.
maxcpus=1 prevents problem at cost of losing half of processing power.
Just like 169.04, 169.07, 169.09, 169.12.

Things tried: Different network card. Setting irqbalance to run in one-shot mode. Disabling irqbalance entirely. Search my previous threads for other attempts.

XP runs fine on same machine.

nvidia log attached.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (134.2 KB, 98 views)
bitmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 09:13 AM   #2
burgeon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Thumbs down Re: 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmage
Same symptoms as always, hard lock, no error messages.
maxcpus=1 prevents problem at cost of losing half of processing power.
Just like 169.04, 169.07, 169.09, 169.12.

Things tried: Different network card. Setting irqbalance to run in one-shot mode. Disabling irqbalance entirely. Search my previous threads for other attempts.

XP runs fine on same machine.

nvidia log attached.
I have exactly the same problem. The only working option is maxncpus=1 for me. I doubt if this can be really an option that justifies running linux on multiple cores.
burgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 09:31 AM   #3
chunkey
#!/?*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 662
Default Re: 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmage
Same symptoms as always, hard lock, no error messages.
maxcpus=1 prevents problem at cost of losing half of processing power.
Just like 169.04, 169.07, 169.09, 169.12.

nvidia log attached.
The log doesn't contain any valuable infomation about the real causes of the crashes...
But it seems that you have something on the serial port?
Code:
/proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1       
  0:     650412          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:          2          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  4:        230       6002   IO-APIC-edge      serial
[...]
Is this a serial console, or something like that? Because you can catch very useful Oops or the panic log with it!


Howto enable the serial console (but you'll need another PC with a terminal!)
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 08:11 AM   #4
bitmage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 32
Default Re: 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkey
Is this a serial console, or something like that? Because you can catch very useful Oops or the panic log with it!
It's the monitoring connection to my UPS, but that was an excellent idea. I disabled the UPS monitoring software, and set up the serial console with another machine to log the messages.

I removed maxcpus=1, rebooted, and went to bed. In the morning my machine was locked up tight. Alas, nothing unusual was logged to the serial console. You just see normal log messages (smartd, etc)...and then silence until the messages from my reboot start appearing.

Whatever this crash is, it halts the CPU so fast it doesn't even have time to scream.
bitmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 08:30 AM   #5
chunkey
#!/?*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 662
Default Re: 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmage
I removed maxcpus=1, rebooted, and went to bed. In the morning my machine was locked up tight. Alas, nothing unusual was logged to the serial console. You just see normal log messages (smartd, etc)...and then silence until the messages from my reboot start appearing.

Whatever this crash is, it halts the CPU so fast it doesn't even have time to scream.
what was your baud-rate? The 9600bps is too slow nowadays... you should try 115200 !
BTW, when your kernel freezes can you please check if your keyboard LEDs are flashing?
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:05 AM   #6
bitmage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 32
Default Re: 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Had it at 14400. No flashing of the keyboard LEDs, just NumLock stuck on. I don't think the kernel is having a chance to panic.
bitmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 10:01 AM   #7
chunkey
#!/?*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 662
Default Re: 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmage
Had it at 14400. No flashing of the keyboard LEDs, just NumLock stuck on. I don't think the kernel is having a chance to panic.
oh? no LEDs... Well, then the next step would be a watchdog-card or firewire (ohci1394 can read/write to the system memory over DMA) but I have no idea how to do that...
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 01:17 PM   #8
mlauss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 43
Default Re: 171.06 still locking up dual core with 8800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkey
firewire (ohci1394 can read/write to the system memory over DMA) but I have no idea how to do that...
Firescope:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/firesc...ease_id=273725
mlauss is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting The 'Ultra' Into New Dual Core Ivy Bridge Ultrabooks News Archived News Items 0 06-05-12 03:41 AM
Intel's Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K Overheating Issue Detailed News Archived News Items 0 05-16-12 10:40 AM
CPUMark99 - how do you compare fuelrod Benchmarking And Overclocking 66 07-19-11 08:32 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.