Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-08, 11:33 AM   #25
energyman76b

Default Re: When is something going to be done about the crashing problem!!

oh come on.

Usually with gentoo you just emerge nvidia-drivers

and no 'original' libs get moved or overwritten. gentoo just sets some symlinks.

But, if you have ever installed the nvidia drivers by hand, you are ****ed. In the worst sense.

Hunt down all the manually installed files and remove them. A very nice way to waste an evening.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 11:40 AM   #26
Deanjo

I can't reproduce these issues either on Gentoo, openSUSE, Fedora or Bluewhite. All with various cards (6600GT, 7600GT, 8800GT and 7050).
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 03:17 PM   #27
edgan

You bug sounds like the same bug from this other thread. For me it happens during fast user switching, and with some delay.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104881
edgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 05:38 PM   #28
billydv

Okay, after fiddling with this a while I've got this somewhat figured out, you have to be running compiz-fusion for the crash to happen, if you switch via fusion icon to kwin, you can open all the duplicate windows you want, you won't get a crash, switch to Compiz and try a duplicate window, x crashes. Now who do I bug about this, Nvidia or Compiz-Fusion?
billydv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 05:44 PM   #29
billydv

Could someone else please confirm this?
Old 03-27-08, 05:46 PM   #30
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

No, but I can confirm it working without a crash here, with compiz.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 06:18 PM   #31
energyman76b

you could try stracing X.

start strace and attach it to X. Let it write everything into a logfile (of course, don't start strace in a xterm or konsole but vt). Now, after the crash, have a look at the log (it might be huge). There you can find some hints where the crash orginates. Next step - gdb

The problem is, compiz is very unstable and fast moving. Little differences can result in crashy or non crashy behaviour. Like different CFLAGS. You wrote you are using gentoo. Any insane/risky flags used?
Old 03-27-08, 08:44 PM   #32
billydv

Here is my make.conf

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

USE="3dnow 3dnowtext a52 aac aalib accessibility acpi aiglx alsa amarok amd64 apm arts artworkextra asf audiofile automount avahi avi bash-completion berkdb -bindist bidi bitmap-fonts bittorrent branding bzip2 cairo calendar cann cdda cdio cdparanoia cdr cli cpudetection crypt cups curl dbus deprecated devil dga directfb discouraged distribution divx dlloader doc dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr dvdread eds effects elibc_glibc elisp emacs emerald emboss encode esd evo examples exif ext-man ext-rtf ext-tex extraicons fam fat fax fbcon fbcondecor fbsplash ffmpeg firefox flac flash foomaticdb fortran freetype fuse gcj gb gd gdphoto2 gdbm gedit gif gimp gimpprint glitz gmedia gnome gnutls gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtkhtml gtk2 hal hddtemp hfs howl html htmlhandbook httpd idn ieee1394 imagemagick imlib inkjar input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog jack java jfs joystick jpeg kde kde4 kdehiddenvisibility kerberos kernel_linux lcms ldap libcaca libao libg++ lirc live lm_sensors logrotate mad mail matroska mdnsresponder-compat mikmod mime mjpeg mmx mmxext mng mono mozbranding mozcalendar mozilla mplayer mp3 mpeg multilib mysql nas nautilus ncurses networking new-login newspr nforce2 nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin ntfs nvidia odbc offensive ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam parport pcre pdf pdflib perl pmu png postgres ppds pppd python qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime rar rdesktop readline real realmedia reflection regex reiser4 reiserfs S3TC samba scanner sdl seamonkey semantic-desktop servletapi session skins slp smp sndfile snmp sound sounds speex spell spl spreadsheet sqlite sse sse2 ssl startup-notification stream streams subversion swat svg svga symlink sysfs syslog tcltk tcpd tetex theora thesaurus threads thunderbird tidy tiff timidity tk truetype truetype-fonts type1 type1-fonts udev unicode usb userland_GNU utempter utils v4l vcd vdr vlm voice vorbis vram weather win32codecs wmf wmp wordperfect wxwindows X xattr xcb xcomposite xforms xfs xine xml xorg xpm xprint xscreensaver xvid xv zeroconf zlib"

FEATURES="parallel-fetch fixpackages buildpkg"

PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log info qa"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/miscellaneous /usr/local/portage/font-overlay /usr/local/portage/desktop-effects"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
NOCOLOR="true"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

as you can see its pretty straight, no crazy flags

Besides, with the 100.14.23 drivers, everything is perfect. This happens to be the same issue on this amd64 gentoo box, another box running x86 gentoo, and 2 other boxes running debian, same results across 4 machines, thats not a leftover library, thats a conflict between the new nvidia-drivers, compiz and kde.

Old 03-28-08, 01:35 PM   #33
energyman76b

why did you set march=native?

and you still did not tell us how did you install your drivers. or posted the output of nvidia-bug-report.sh (best two, one before and one after crash).
Old 03-28-08, 07:43 PM   #34
billydv

march=native is the correct way starting with gcc 4.2.1 (or maybe 4.2.2), and I have always installed nvidia drivers on Gentoo with the ebuilds, never manually, on Debian though I always use the nvidia installer. Either way the effect is the same, if CF is enabled as window manager, it will crash, this has nothing to do with libraries, this is a bug, I intend to bug the Compiz Fusion team and see if they can figure out whats causing it.
Old 04-01-08, 03:28 AM   #35
pinguin74

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydv
I have sent bug reports twice, with the new drivers, anything in the 169 or 171 series, when you click the k icon in konqueror to open a new window, x crashes, sometimes with the first click, sometimes after a few, almost always if done as superuser, whats going on!!!
I had a problem with kaffeine crashing permanently. I am using now the 169.12 driver and everyhting is fine now. What i did, I added Option "UseCompositeWrapper" "true" to the device section in xorg.conf. This has solved the issue. See my thread at

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110029

Please let me know, if this has helped! Maybe even write a PM to me, I'm really curious if it helped!
pinguin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 12:26 AM   #36
billydv

I do use compiz and when I tried that option my computer froze. I went back to the 100.14.23 which has worked perfectly, until nvidia gets the bugs out, Im sticking with whats stable.