Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-08, 03:57 AM   #1
Greeno

Default Networking Vista to Vista

Hi guys,

Just a quick question really...

I've got a couple of boxes with XP on that I share the C: on for simplicity reasons more than anything else... but I'm having some bother with Vista (doing the same).

I must confess, I've not really sat down and looked at it, but I need to get it sorted.

Basically, the guy has relaxed as much security as he can find, but accessing anything but "Public" documents/files/folders is a no no.

Is there something obvious I should be looking for? He just says that he's not been "granted permission" I'd like to just get to a point where I can create a new short cut for him on his desktop and use \\<PC NAME>\<NETWORK RESOURCE> and he can double click and move stuff about (like he always used to on his XP boxes). Vista is causing him all sorts of headaches, but he thinks XP is some sort of embarrassing step back now.

I appreciate that you might not be able to exclusively share your C: with someone because this is a shoddy security practice, but I can't imagine you can't just grant access to all on files/folders other than the public docs? They're visible on the network, but not accessible.

Cheers!
Greeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 04:19 AM   #2
Greeno

Default Re: Networking Vista to Vista

Can this thread be closed/deleted please? I've actually looked into it now and sorted it.

Cheers!
Greeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 04:14 PM   #3
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: Networking Vista to Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeno
Can this thread be closed/deleted please? I've actually looked into it now and sorted it.

Cheers!

Maybe you could reveal your answers for folks asking the same questions as you were.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote