Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: AMD's Chipsets vs. Intel's vs. nVidia's
Keep your E6600, mobo, eliminator, and later sell the E6600 for the Q9450. 11 31.43%
Keep current mobo, sell E6600+Eliminator and get a Q6600 G0 and Ultra120. 9 25.71%
Sell the mobo, E6600, and Eliminator and go AMD all the way. 1 2.86%
Sell what I have, go with AMD's 790FX + cheap dual core till new Phenoms come out. 3 8.57%
New CC? Screw it all and buy something that'll make jAkUp cry from envy. 8 22.86%
Other. Please explain why you chose this in your post. 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-08, 01:16 AM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: Opinions please...

Well, seems I'm in luck. I found an old ASUS A7V8X-X mobo lying around my room. Fired it up in a test rig configuration (IOW "Out of Case") just to see if it'd work. And it does. In fact, it's what I'm using now to type this. Running Ubuntu 8.04 (beta) from the LiveCD. Gonna' shut her down now, properly assemble the system, then install Ubuntu 8.04. Good bye Vista x64 and gaming awesomeness. Hello Linux and uber-geeking in command prompt!

So, it looks as though this is gonna' be my new rig untill I get the parts next week. Such a massive downgrade from what I currently have. Oh well... I'll be rockin' something quite a bit better in just under a week so nothing to sweat over.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 02:15 AM   #26
Heinzftw
Im 57 Flavors!!!

I have a question for you. So why in the hell don't you have credit? You should of got a $800 limit STUDENT visa when you turned 17. Most banks offer it and if you #$%^ up which im taking you did. You will be fine. Establish some credit or get another piece of plastic called a DEBIT CARD. Good luck with the build!

Apexia Full Tower, Thermaltake 750 Watt Psu, Intel Q6600, Dual 8800GT's, Coolermaster Liquid Cpu Cooling, 3 Gb Corsair XMS2, Evga 780i Striker Motherboard, 2 X 160Gb Dual Hitachi Raid 0, Windows Xp Pro
3DMark06: 13,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
We're gonna need a bigger fence.
Heinzftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 02:40 AM   #27
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw
I have a question for you. So why in the hell don't you have credit? You should of got a $800 limit STUDENT visa when you turned 17. Most banks offer it and if you #$%^ up which im taking you did. You will be fine. Establish some credit or get another piece of plastic called a DEBIT CARD. Good luck with the build!
First of all... I *just* turned 21 this past Wednesday. Secondly, I've just never gotten a credit card nor have I ever purchased anything on credit. Never taken out a loan, never financed anything- either paid with cash or my debit card. I did, however, attend the local community college here for two semesters, but I paid for that with my debit card. Hence the zero credit.

I guess you could say that I "#$%^"ed up by not building credit at a younger age- but live and learn, right?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 04:05 AM   #28
Heinzftw
Im 57 Flavors!!!

Hell yes bro. Good luck with everything!!

Apexia Full Tower, Thermaltake 750 Watt Psu, Intel Q6600, Dual 8800GT's, Coolermaster Liquid Cpu Cooling, 3 Gb Corsair XMS2, Evga 780i Striker Motherboard, 2 X 160Gb Dual Hitachi Raid 0, Windows Xp Pro
3DMark06: 13,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
We're gonna need a bigger fence.
Heinzftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 10:01 AM   #29
nemecb

Hmm, NewEgg doesn't carry the Black Edition Phenoms? That sucks. According to the Hard article about them they're the only way to go for overclocking Phenoms because of the FSB limitations on the ones with locked multis. Of course if you're not overclocking then it's a moot point.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 10:10 AM   #30
Buckeye

I would drop the CoolIt Eliminator, I have one and it works fine until you start OCing and then it simply cannot keep up. On my chip I can OC to about 3.6 but it is starting to get pretty warm, at 3.8 my temps are past 60c so I ended up going with 3.2 and everything is fine.

Plus they take up a huge amount of space above the CPU and over to the case fan slot. They are nice for what they are ment for, slight OCing and all but I think some Air Cooling setups work better.

I voted for ... New CC? Screw it all and buy something that'll make jAkUp cry from envy. LOL
Old 03-28-08, 10:24 AM   #31
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
First of all... I *just* turned 21 this past Wednesday. Secondly, I've just never gotten a credit card nor have I ever purchased anything on credit. Never taken out a loan, never financed anything- either paid with cash or my debit card. I did, however, attend the local community college here for two semesters, but I paid for that with my debit card. Hence the zero credit.

I guess you could say that I "#$%^"ed up by not building credit at a younger age- but live and learn, right?
dude, dont worry about credit for now. i have one credit card and i never use it. the problem with the country right now is that pretty much everyone is in debt they cant pay off. if you dont need credit, then dont get it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 10:31 AM   #32
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
dude, dont worry about credit for now. i have one credit card and i never use it. the problem with the country right now is that pretty much everyone is in debt they cant pay off. if you dont need credit, then dont get it.
Or better yet, use it to build a credit rating but pay it off every month so you don't get screwed by the interest. That way when you do need credit for something it will be available. Also keeps you from overspending since you can't spend money you don't have (as long as you stick to paying it off).
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-08, 10:33 AM   #33
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Or better yet, use it to build a credit rating but pay it off every month so you don't get screwed by the interest. That way when you do need credit for something it will be available. Also keeps you from overspending since you can't spend money you don't have (as long as you stick to paying it off).
yea, every purchase i make with my credit card, i have the cash available in my bank account.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 10:50 AM   #34
Buckeye

Credit scores can rise pretty quickly if you pay attention to what you are doing.

Get one of those simple credit cards that you get offers in the mail for all the time. Pick just one. Use it only for small things like putting gas in your car every once in awhile. Do not let the debt get very high. Pay that off in full each month.

So you only put maybe $50-$100 on the card each month and pay it off in full Every month.

Soon they will raise your cap and resulting credit score. Takes time but it's better to do it in small steps that you can pay off each month in full then not have any credit score at all.