Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: AMD's Chipsets vs. Intel's vs. nVidia's
Keep your E6600, mobo, eliminator, and later sell the E6600 for the Q9450. 11 31.43%
Keep current mobo, sell E6600+Eliminator and get a Q6600 G0 and Ultra120. 9 25.71%
Sell the mobo, E6600, and Eliminator and go AMD all the way. 1 2.86%
Sell what I have, go with AMD's 790FX + cheap dual core till new Phenoms come out. 3 8.57%
New CC? Screw it all and buy something that'll make jAkUp cry from envy. 8 22.86%
Other. Please explain why you chose this in your post. 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-08, 11:40 AM   #37
Redeemed

Default Re: Opinions please...

Update:

I *just* placed the order for those parts. I'm predicting that they'll be here by Wednesday evening next week. I'll then have the computer fully assembled by Thursday night. As stated above in a previous post, I'll be running dual 7900GTs for a brief period of time.

With next week's pay check I'm planning on purchasing two 8800GTS 640MB cards (I'm partial to 'em ), and some better cooling. No, I do not aim to overclock the processor, but the fans that are currently in the case I'm gonna' be using *really* sucketh. They need replacing. And that stock HSF for the CPU just ain't that pretty, lookin' to replace it with the Tuniq Tower. Should make for an all around great rig. Not the best, but it'll suffice. And it should be a decent step up from what I was running, and a *gigantic* step up from what I *am* running.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 12:31 AM   #38
Redeemed

Okay, the parts arrived tonight, a whole night earlier than I anticipated. Snapped some pics of 'em and want to post 'em before I assemble the rig.

Here they be, snug in the packaging:

The parts ordered are:
AMD Phenom9600 Black Box Edition
ASUS M2N32 SLi Dlx WiFi Edition
4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM
2x Samsung CD/DVD-Burners (SATA)

The complete specs of this rig will be all of the above plus:
2x XFX 7900GT
Samsung 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
X-Blade mid-ATX tower
OCZ 600watt GameXstream Quad Rail PSU
Stock cooler, 2x120mm fans (intake/exhaust), 1x92mm fan (intake), 1x80mm fan (intake)
Vista Ultimate x64

I had a bad experience with SLi'd 8800s. I know I originally said I'd buy two 8800s this weekend, but after the headache SLi was with them I'm not so certain anymore. I wanna' see how well the drivers are for these 7900s and compare that to my experience with the 8800s. If the 7900s scale as I'm expecting them to, then I'll probably keep 'em as they should be comparable to a single 8800GTS 640MB. In which case I'd be satisfied. But if they don't perform to my expectations, then I'll buy a single 8800 now, and possibly a second later. If I go dual 8800s though, that means I'll be purchasing another PSU (one with more wattage, and great amps per rail).

Will report back shortly, hopefully using my new rig.
Old 04-02-08, 12:36 AM   #39
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Just finished setting up my Q 9450

It is so cool Love it.

Did I mention that Q6600 for $189 is still available at Fry's (at least the one in Austin).
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 03:24 AM   #40
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
Just finished setting up my Q 9450

It is so cool Love it.

Did I mention that Q6600 for $189 is still available at Fry's (at least the one in Austin).

Well, it's up and running. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do a fresh installation of Windows- but it appears as if that is unnavoidable.

Got XP Pro on it now, acquiring all the Updates. Using two hard drives currently- an 80Gig Maxtor, it currently has the fresh install of XP, and then a 500Gig Samsung. It has my old Vista Install, and all of my documents.

Since my copy of XP is pre-SP1, I gotta' get all the updates first, then transfer my documents from the 500Gig HDD to this 80Gig one, then re-install Vista onto the 500Gig Samsung. Not sure if I'm gonna' be doing any dual-booting this time. Might just get Vista installed, and leave the 80Gig HDD in simply for back-up purposes.

But so far so good. I'm actually quite excited to see how this rig will run Vista and all my games, as well as Ubuntu 8.04 x64. If that old AXP 2800 with 2GB of RAM could run that newest Ubuntu distro with ease, I'm sure it'll be a brease for this rig.
Old 04-03-08, 11:54 AM   #41
Redeemed

After much hassle, I managed to get Vista installed- but at the expense of losing all of my data (Music, pictures, family videos, etc). But atleast it is up and running. Currently having issues with my network. For some reason the new computer can't connect to the internet, though it is connected to our network just fine. I'll figure it out. Done messing with it for now.

When I get home from work tonight I'll go ahead and see if I can get it to connect. When I do, I'll start the benchmarking.
Old 04-03-08, 12:33 PM   #42
nemecb

You had a backup of all that data, right?

If nothing else the Ubuntu Live CD should have let you pull data off the drive before you reinstalled.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 10:28 PM   #43
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
You had a backup of all that data, right?

If nothing else the Ubuntu Live CD should have let you pull data off the drive before you reinstalled.
Nope. To be more precise of what happened:

All of my data, including my previous Vista installation, was on my 500GB Samsung HDD. My plan was to install XP onto my old 80GB Maxtor hard drive, transfer all of my personal documents and such onto the 80GB Maxtor HDD, and then do a fresh install of Vista onto the 500GB Samsung HDD.

Well, I had both HDDs installed and loaded into the Windows XP setup. Where the setup lists the available hard drives, I was *very careful* to select the 80GB Maxtor hard drive. I delete the partition that was on the 80GB Maxtor hard drive, then created the new partition and proceeded to format the 80GB Maxtor hard drive.

But instead of formatting ONLY THE 80GB MAXTOR HDD, it decided to format my Samsung HDD as well. No, I did NOT accidentally select the wrong hard drive to format, I selected the correct drive. But apparently WindowsXP setup knows better than I (the user) which drives need formatting ans which ones don't- as such it, in all its magnificent wisdom, opted for format BOTH DRIVES. I was rather pissed, and wanted to bash the living daylights out of whichever programmer at MS opted to make the setup app do that. Really had me ticked off. But, oh well. I had all of my music on my MP3 player (Creative Zen), so I just have to copy them over. I've done it before so I was never concerned about the music... it was all the pictures. Those are memories, a lot of which I'll still remember- but then there are some that I'll probably forget now. Oh well. Guess this is a lesson learned, right?

As to the new computer- I already encountered one BSOD... but I'll blame that on the TLB errata issue. Installed the latest BIOS for my mobo, which should eliminate that problem according to ASUS. So far it is working like a dream. VERY pleased with my purchase. Haven't done any benching yet. Will do that next.
Old 04-03-08, 10:34 PM   #44
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I've done the XP setup many many times and it will NEVER format more than the drive you tell it to. You simply goofed Redeemed. Easy to do. Maybe next time disconnect the drive before doing an Install.

Also you can recover data from a format, if the drive is still freshly formatted you should recover everything.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-08, 10:40 PM   #45
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
I've done the XP setup many many times and it will NEVER format more than the drive you tell it to. You simply goofed Redeemed. Easy to do. Maybe next time disconnect the drive before doing an Install.

Also you can recover data from a format, if the drive is still freshly formatted you should recover everything.
Buddy, it was no goof. I tried this 3 times, the last two times being extremely careful to select the appropriate drive.

I'm not certain if this makes a difference, but my copy of XP is Pre-SP1. I've not slipstreamed any updates to my copy. So, being that my 500GB HDD was already partitioned and formatted from the prior Vista installation, my Windows XP CD could only recognise 127GB on that drive. I'm assuming it re-formatted it to allow me to use it once XP was installed. Atleast, that's the only logical explaination I have as to why it'd do that. Otherwise my Samsung HDD wouldn't be usable untill I got SP2 installed. And of course, back when my copy of XP was made SP2 was still just a thought and nothing more.

What's done is done, I've got my music transferring now, and will just have to take an extra amount of pictures this year to compensate.
Old 04-03-08, 10:44 PM   #46
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

It's possible, IF the windows install saw the 500gb drive as C:, it may format it as it loves to use the C: as the boot partition, even if the OS is installed on another drive...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 10:50 PM   #47
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
It's possible, IF the windows install saw the 500gb drive as C:, it may format it as it loves to use the C: as the boot partition, even if the OS is installed on another drive...
You know, I hadn't thought of that. More than likely that is what happened.

Lesson learned regardless. I'm gonna' be investing in another hard specifically for backing up data. Might buy it tomorrow... not sure.
Old 04-03-08, 11:10 PM   #48
ViN86

this is why i disconnect all my drives except for the target drive whenever i format/reinstall the OS.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote