Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: AMD's Chipsets vs. Intel's vs. nVidia's
Keep your E6600, mobo, eliminator, and later sell the E6600 for the Q9450. 11 31.43%
Keep current mobo, sell E6600+Eliminator and get a Q6600 G0 and Ultra120. 9 25.71%
Sell the mobo, E6600, and Eliminator and go AMD all the way. 1 2.86%
Sell what I have, go with AMD's 790FX + cheap dual core till new Phenoms come out. 3 8.57%
New CC? Screw it all and buy something that'll make jAkUp cry from envy. 8 22.86%
Other. Please explain why you chose this in your post. 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-08, 12:13 AM   #49
Redeemed

Default Re: Opinions please...

MY MUSIC WON'T PLAY!!! Says that I need to update my license. Problem is I purchased the songs from URGE. URGE was purchased by RealNetworks. And RealNetworks, in their vast wisdom, wont release a version of Rhapsody that will work on 64-bit Vista. Several hundred dollars worth of music... freaking gone. GOD DAMN YOU WINDOWS XP!!! AND GOD DAMN YOU RHAPSODY!!!

I'll have to get a 32-bit install on some other machine. Then just download everything and burn it to CDs. Atleast once I have CD's I'll be able to rip them back onto my computer. This just frikken sucks...
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 02:24 AM   #50
Redeemed

So, I ran 3DMark03 just for kicks, scored just shy of 30k. Quit 3DMark, closed IE, and went to install Crysis. The disk spun up, but never loaded. Got a BSOD, shortly after which the computer restarted. From that point on I got a BSOD no matter how I tried to load into Windows.

So now, I'm using my Ubuntu LiveCD. So far it's working. I'm gonna' just run Ubuntu for a while. Fell in love with this OS on my previous rig, it should run even smoother on this one... I'd imagine.

I don't know what the problem is, it could be any number of things: it could be that TLB Errata bug, or it could be an incompatibility issue between this mobo and my processor... I just don't know.

So, untill I figure out exactly what I'm gonna' do... I'm sticking with Ubuntu. Here's hoping I have zero issues.
Old 04-04-08, 06:58 AM   #51
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Should have bought an Intel.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 10:32 AM   #52
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I don't know what the problem is, it could be any number of things: it could be that TLB Errata bug, or it could be an incompatibility issue between this mobo and my processor... I just don't know.
Or it could be that Windows sucks, but then you already figured that out when it reformatted the wrong drive.

The same thing happened to a coworker of mine once. I can't remember if it was exactly the same, but I'm pretty sure he didn't just format the wrong drive either. Apparently he woke up his wife because he was screaming at the installer so loudly.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 10:45 AM   #53
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Or it could be that Windows sucks, but then you already figured that out when it reformatted the wrong drive.

The same thing happened to a coworker of mine once. I can't remember if it was exactly the same, but I'm pretty sure he didn't just format the wrong drive either. Apparently he woke up his wife because he was screaming at the installer so loudly.
Like that German brat?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 11:02 AM   #54
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Like that German brat?

Apparently I missed whatever story you're referring to.
Old 04-04-08, 11:46 AM   #55
Redeemed

lol

Hasn't crashed yet. I doubt it's an issue with Windows. I'm pretty convinced it's either the mobo just isn't liking the Phenom, or it's that TLB errata issue. I'm leaning towards the latter. So I'm thinking of just running Ubuntu untill B3 Phenoms are "officially" released. Newegg does have the 9550 for sale, which is a B3, but I do not what something that is in anyway a downgrade. When the B3s are released in full, I'll exchange this processor for whatever is the fastest Phenom available at that time, paying the difference of course. With the new proc I'll purchase my remaining 4GB of RAM, a new HDD (for back-up purposes), and some new case fans and Tuniq Tower. Not replacing the video cards just yet as I've not really gotten the opportunity to see how they'll perform. I want to run Crysis and see how they handle that. I'm not expecting everything to be maxed out, I'm more curious about SLi scaling with the 7900s. I'm curious as to whether or not these 7900s will scale better than my 8800s did, and if SLi will work more consistently or not.
Old 04-07-08, 10:38 PM   #56
Redeemed

So, with this motherboard, could I run 4 3870X2s?

lol It seems at most I could run only three physically. The question is, would it work? 6-Way CrossFire... seeexxxxyyyyyy.

Anyhow, so I've been having nothing but troubles when trying to use my setup as a gaming rig. It runs Ubuntu 8.04 like a dream (x32). But both Windows XP and Vista BSOD left and right.

So, me thought is that there are one of two (if not both) things happening: 1.)The BSODs are indeed caused by the TLB Errata bug, 2.)My mobo is, indeed incompatible with the Phenoms, or 3.)The BSODs are cuase by both the TLB Errata bug and my mobo being incompatible with the Phenoms.

So, I AM going to return this mobo and processor. For what is the question. I'm thinking of the Phenom 9850 when it comes out, if it is not too expensive. But then what mobo? Supposedly the ASUS CrossFire supports the Phenoms according to AMD's website, though ASUS does not list the ASUS CrossHair as supporting Phenoms. I could, however, ditch SLi and purchase a board with CrossFire and AMD's 790FX chipset. Should be guaranteed compatibility with the Phenom processor, and being that it'd support AM2+ I'd be able to take full advantage of the Phenoms.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards getting a 790FX based mobo. Just wanted to hear what ya'll thought about that.

And NO... don't say I should get an Intel quad-core rig. I am, but I want both: and AMD based Quad-Core setup, and an Intel based Quad Core setup. On the AMD rig I'm considering running CrossFire, and on the Intel rig I'd run SLi. But right now I'm just focussing on the AMD rig.

Thoughts? Recommendations on mobos? Prices on the new Phenoms?

Old 04-07-08, 11:03 PM   #57
nemecb

It seems highly unlikely to me that you're running into the TLB errata bug on a regular basis, unless you're doing some heavy VM work. As I understand it you should almost never hit it in the course of normal desktop use.

I assume you've checked for BIOS updates for your board?
Old 04-07-08, 11:23 PM   #58
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
It seems highly unlikely to me that you're running into the TLB errata bug on a regular basis, unless you're doing some heavy VM work. As I understand it you should almost never hit it in the course of normal desktop use.

I assume you've checked for BIOS updates for your board?
Yes. I'm running the latest BIOS. And the board DOES recognise the chip correctly (Phenom 9600, 2.3GHz).

Well, I could try putting Windows on here one more time.

The last time I had it on here, I'd randomly experience BSODs. Installed latest mobo BIOS and all seemed well. Ran 3DMark03, no problems, decent score. Went to install Crysis, the CD spun as it should, but no menu appeared. Then, after a short while, I got a BSOD. After that I never could load back into windows as it'd always BSOD. I suppose the RAM could be defective. Haven't tried running Memtest on it yet...

I guess I could re-install Windows tonight, run Memtest over night to test the RAM. And then run Prime95 SFF to test the CPU while I'm at work tomorrow. That'd be about 8 straight hours testing the RAM, and another 8 striaght hours testing the CPU.
Old 04-08-08, 01:16 AM   #59
Redeemed

Only $243.00!?!?!?!?!?! Hmm... my buddy has expressed interest in my current Quad. He already owns an ASUS CrossFire mobo which AMD and ASUS both list as supporting the 9600...

I'm thinking of giving him this processor and mobo, he can run the 9600 in the CrossHair mobo and his 6000+ in the M2N32 mobo. I'll buy the DFI 790FX mobo and the 9850, plus the Tuniq Tower... then later two 3850s in Quad CrossFire. That should be a sufficient gaming rig. I could try OC'ing... maybe I'd get lucky at have a chip that could do 3.2GHz on air. Or not... even at 2.6Ghz (a mere 100Mhz oc) I'd be satisfied.

Oooh! 2.6GHz quad-core, 8GB DDR2 800 RAM, 2x3870X2s, Vista Ultimate x64....
Old 04-08-08, 01:34 AM   #60
Redeemed

Okay, so if I returned my 9600 and mobo, I'd still owe about $46.00 if I did a straight exchange. Not sure if Newegg allows echanges like that. If not, I'd get a refund, and then buy the 9850 and DFI mobo. I am curious though, is DFI a pretty solid company though? I know they used to be the company of choice for OC'ers back when AMD was king of the hill, are they still?