Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: AMD's Chipsets vs. Intel's vs. nVidia's
Keep your E6600, mobo, eliminator, and later sell the E6600 for the Q9450. 11 31.43%
Keep current mobo, sell E6600+Eliminator and get a Q6600 G0 and Ultra120. 9 25.71%
Sell the mobo, E6600, and Eliminator and go AMD all the way. 1 2.86%
Sell what I have, go with AMD's 790FX + cheap dual core till new Phenoms come out. 3 8.57%
New CC? Screw it all and buy something that'll make jAkUp cry from envy. 8 22.86%
Other. Please explain why you chose this in your post. 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-08, 12:53 AM   #61
mullet

Default Re: Opinions please...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=183025
Old 04-08-08, 01:29 AM   #62
Redeemed

Impressive...
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 12:01 PM   #63
Redeemed

So RMA'ing for a refund is out of the question as they only give you one week for CPU refunds. So I could try selling this mobo and proc... but that 9850 would be best suited with DDR2 1066 RAM, wouldn't it? Or should it perform just fine with DDR2 800?
Old 04-09-08, 01:00 AM   #64
Redeemed

Okay, vim...

Decided to try re-installing Vista. Installation went without a hitch. Everything seems to be running fine. But in order for the Vista install to work (x64) I had to remove one of my sticks of RAM (2x2GB). Have yet to re-install it.

But so far everything is working like a charm. Nemecb seems to doubt the BSODs I encountered previously are related to my processor and mobo. It could be the RAM. One BSOD I encounted a couple times before was the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and if I recall correctly, that's usually an indication of defective RAM. If that be the case, Newegg owes me new RAM.

I'll run Memtest tonight as I sleep. 8 hours of straight testing ought to indicate whether the RAM is good or not. Then tomorrow afternoon when I head off to work, I'll run Prime95 SFF for all those 8 hours. If I come home and she's still purring a long without issue, then all's well. Atleast, I'd imagine.
Old 04-09-08, 01:47 AM   #65
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL could be RAM, or more likely an unhappy driver. It's a pain with new systems, because finding the conflict is very very time consuming. Least with a previously stable system, you can just roll back the driver you just replaced.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 02:47 AM   #66
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL could be RAM, or more likely an unhappy driver. It's a pain with new systems, because finding the conflict is very very time consuming. Least with a previously stable system, you can just roll back the driver you just replaced.
lawlz

You know, you're very right. That BSOD is usually related to drivers. Anyhow, running the latest drivers for everything, and so far not a single error... period. And I've had several apps open at once. Nothing too astounding (IE7 with a bunch of tabs, Windows Update, Download Window, and WMP11 playing a song while ripping a CD). So far she's as stable as can be.

I cannot express how thrilled I'll be if it turns out I can keep this system, everything winds up stable. I've never seen what dual 7900GTs are capable of first hand, so I'm really curious. If I'm too disappointed I can always drop dual 8800s in here. For that, though, I'll want to buy a better PSU and better cooling.

Anyhow, thank you for that Crainger. I used to not mind spending hours troubleshooting my computer. But anymore, I just want to hook it all up and have it work from the very beginning. Sadly, this isn't usually how it works and I just need to be more patient.

Grasshopper has learned very important lesson today. He thanks you greatly. *bows before Crainger*
Old 04-09-08, 09:49 AM   #67
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I cannot express how thrilled I'll be if it turns out I can keep this system, everything winds up stable.
I know exactly how you feel. I thought I was going to have to RMA both my RAM and a hard drive on my new build, but it turned out that a BIOS update fixed the RAM problems and a firmware update fixed the drive, so other than the fact that my processor seems to be one of the worst overclocking Q6600's I've ever heard of, I'm happy.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 11:25 AM   #68
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
I know exactly how you feel. I thought I was going to have to RMA both my RAM and a hard drive on my new build, but it turned out that a BIOS update fixed the RAM problems and a firmware update fixed the drive, so other than the fact that my processor seems to be one of the worst overclocking Q6600's I've ever heard of, I'm happy.
Yeah, it's probably a simple fix.

Anyhow, ran Memtest86 for 10 passes last night, all 4GB of RAM, not a single error.

Exit out of memtest, and I can't load into Windows. It BSODs left and right. Start Windows normaly, BSOD. Last Known Good Configuration, BSOD. Safe Mode, BSOD. Safe Mode with Networking, BSOD. And the worst part is, it didn't really list much info about the error. There was a bunch of hexidecimal looking characters on the screen. And the system never would restart, it'd just hang there. I almost took a picture of it to post here so ya'll might be able to help me. But I didn't. I did, however, remove a stick of RAM and the system seems to be working fine.

Could I be missing something? I have the latest MOBO BIOS installed, latest drivers for everything installed, my RAM passes Memtest (10 passes)... why won't the system work with all 4GB installed?

Oh, and like the usual ASUS BIOS, there's no option to disable any form of shadowing or caching in the BIOS so I have no idea if that's causing the problem or not.

Atleast the rig is working.

Old 04-09-08, 11:54 AM   #69
Redeemed

So how accurate is Memtest86? Is it possible that there would be a problem with my RAM that Memtest would not detect? Also, there are a TON of options in the BIOS that I have NO IDEA what they do, some relating to the RAM as well. I think most relate to fine-tuning the performance of my RAM... but I've left all of that to the default option (which is usually "Auto").

Any suggestions will be *greatly* appreciated. I'd like to be 100% certain that the RAM is defective before I go and purchase more RAM.
*EDIT*

I also have Crysis installing now. On my previous installation of Windows Vista when I put the Crysis disk in the drive it spun up, no menu ever appeared, then after about 10 seconds I got a BSOD. At which point I could not load back into Windows due to... BSODs. But, I had all 4GB installed at that time. Now, with only 2GB the system seems to work just fine. I've yet to just swap sticks and see if it is the physical sticks causing the issue, or if it is the 4GB of RAM causing the issue.

Well, I do know for certain that some way, some how, I'm going to get the Phenom 9850 and the DFI 790FX based mobo. When this computer works appropriately, it is FAST. Well, I've not done any gaming tests yet but just for day to day use... it's FAST. I'm sure that 9850 would only help especially when pushing dual 3870X2s. I might shoot to buy the new proc and mobo next week. Not sure if I'm gonna' keep this proc and mobo yet...
Old 04-09-08, 12:46 PM   #70
nemecb

Yeah, it's possible for memtest86 to miss things, but I have a hard time believing that your RAM is at fault if Linux is stable and Windows isn't. Generally if you have a memory problem it's the other way around because Linux's caching exercises all of your RAM while Windows historically doesn't (although I hear Vista's memory management is better so that may not be true anymore).

Unfortunately the fact that it's stable with one stick complicates things even more. I would definitely try it with just the other stick too before sending it back.

I'm currently running with my RAM settings at Auto for what I think is exactly the same RAM as you, although obviously I have a different board. I know I had to set my old DFI's memory timings by hand to get it stable, but that was a tweaker's board and I was using cheap RAM with it. There was also an excellent guide to configuring memory options on that board because it needed to be done manually, and I've never seen that for any other boards.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 02:00 PM   #71
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Yeah, it's possible for memtest86 to miss things, but I have a hard time believing that your RAM is at fault if Linux is stable and Windows isn't. Generally if you have a memory problem it's the other way around because Linux's caching exercises all of your RAM while Windows historically doesn't (although I hear Vista's memory management is better so that may not be true anymore).

Unfortunately the fact that it's stable with one stick complicates things even more. I would definitely try it with just the other stick too before sending it back.

I'm currently running with my RAM settings at Auto for what I think is exactly the same RAM as you, although obviously I have a different board. I know I had to set my old DFI's memory timings by hand to get it stable, but that was a tweaker's board and I was using cheap RAM with it. There was also an excellent guide to configuring memory options on that board because it needed to be done manually, and I've never seen that for any other boards.
Well, I played some Crysis and aside from dropping to around 23fps here and there, everything went well.

I'll try just the other stick of RAM to see how it works. If it is still stable, I'm going to be really stumped. Would I be wrong to then assume it might be an incorrect BIOS setting?
Old 04-10-08, 09:04 AM   #72
excile
*BANNED*

Ok first of all who in their right mind builds a new system from ground up using AMD instead of Intel besides an obvious HUGE FANBOY? ROTFLMAO.

Second of all didnt you used to have 8800GTS's for sli? and you massively downgraded to 7900GT's for SLI? WTF? ROTF!

You do realize that a single 8800GTS is probably faster than 7900GT's in sli do you not? Who cares how well old tech scales in SLI when it still gets its ass beat by a more reliable single card solution? I mean really wtf are you thinking? choosing Amd over intel and then downgrading to 7 series cards? HAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

Lastley I must say I have never in my entire life seen someone with soooooooo many issues with their build in all my life! good grief.
excile is offline   Reply With Quote