Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-08, 11:41 PM   #1
nrdstrm

Default Slingbox

I just grabbed a Solo, and it works as advertised...

Setup was about 20 minutes. I've only used it so far on my desktop PC (LAN) and it looks great...I'm getting a cheap used lappy from a guy next week so I can watch games in our patio (covered so not much sunlight) while BBQing and what not over Wifi...I'm going to test the "internet" viewing tomorrow, but I probably won't use that part to much so I'm not too concerned if the quality is lacking...

It's pretty cool not needing a TV tuner or anything on MY PC. I had an extra STB laying around not even connected to a TV, so it worked out perfect...

Any of you guys use one? Thoughts?

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 06:44 AM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Slingbox

Please tell my more. I went to the Slingbox site and that fat guy pissed me off I had to close the site. Over to you nrdstrm.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 10:26 AM   #3
Lyme

I recieved a flyer in the mail a while back about them.. I am under the impression that they will only sling SD media, and not HD media. Is that correct? I'm also unsure if it supports the playback of many of the obtuse media formats that both the ps3 and 360 have recently added support for.

On the bright side, it does seem pretty darn easy to setup and use.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 11:57 AM   #4
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
I recieved a flyer in the mail a while back about them.. I am under the impression that they will only sling SD media, and not HD media. Is that correct? I'm also unsure if it supports the playback of many of the obtuse media formats that both the ps3 and 360 have recently added support for.

On the bright side, it does seem pretty darn easy to setup and use.
Well, your getting a bit confused there I think...It won't "play media" of any sort. It will only "sling" what is on your cable box to a PC. They are coming out with "Slingcatcher" that does do media (think Apple TV only better according to a few articles I've seen, but it's not out yet)...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 01:23 AM   #5
crainger

I like the sound of that. All we need here is internet plans with unlimited downloads.
Old 04-06-08, 09:03 AM   #6
BrianG
aka HalcYoN - Hook Em!

Sling is far better than a TV Tuner card. I have had a Sling AV controlling the cable box in the bedroom for TV on the PC and at work for a few years. There is a Sling Pro that can stream HD content, but you lose surround sound. That is not too big a deal given that many users will not have surround on the PC they stream to. The picture quality when streaming on the home network is better than any TV card I have tried as teh box and software do a great job of deinterlacing.

I have a 4G EEE PC that has been upgraded to 2GB of system memory and has an add on 8GB SD card. With Windows XP installed, it does a great job of running the Sling player software. On the home network, it rolls up to a 3Mb stream when set to the next to highest stream quality. The Desktop will run at 5Mb and produce outstanding results.

Depending on your ISPs upstream limits, you get anywhere from normal youtube (200Kb/s) to better flash player quality (500k-1Mb/s) unless you have FIOS, in which case it'll look like it does on the home network as long as the network you are on has the bandwidth.

The Sling AV is a great product, can't recommend it highly enough.

And crainger, you can manually set the stream size to conserve bandwidth.

photobriangray
Nikon D700 and D300s | SB-600 | Tamron 28-75/2.8 | Tamron 17-50/2.8 | Nikon 70-200VR I
10.5/2.8 Fisheye | 28/1.8 AF-S | 35/1.8 AF-S | 50/1.8 | 105/F2 AF-D | Sigma 150/2.8 Macro
Nikon J1 | 10-30VR |30-100VR | 10/2.8 | 18/1.8
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 12:29 AM   #7
crainger

I can?

Logitech make a Slingbox don't they?

I know that one is available locally, I might check it out. ::

EDIT: Nevermind. I was thinking of a Squeezebox. ::