Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-08, 06:34 PM   #1
mmorales

Default Viewable area bigger than TV display

I'm currently Trying to set up my geforce 8800 GTX on UBUNTU linux 7.10 32 bit

I have a sharp 42 in ch aquos TV(1080P). and I'm connect from the card tot eh TV via the div port with a div to hdmi cable

I've got teh graphics driver to run right, but I'm having problems with my desktop being larger than my tv's display, I'm actually loosing about an inch all round the perimeter for my display, so i can't see menu bars and what not

How can i shrink the size of the image that is being displayed on my TV to make it fit.

In windows vista i simply used the slider tool to shrink the display size till everything fit properly, but i don't see this option in Linux.

Looking at my xorg, i notice its using my tv as a generic monitor, and i believe that to be the crux of the problem
mmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 03:11 PM   #2
_Inferno_

Default Re: Viewable area bigger than TV display

Same exact problem... I have a 30" wide sony using a dvi-hdmi connection and while I can correct for underscan in XP x64, I can't do it in Linux. I even tried OpenSuse which has the sax2 tool, and this was ineffectual.

Nvidia: Come on??? What the hell is this crap, why can ATI do it and not you?

Dave
_Inferno_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 06:24 PM   #3
mmorales

I actually solved my problem by going into my TV settings and setting my TV to ! to ! pixel ratio.
mmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 06:35 PM   #4
_Inferno_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorales
I actually solved my problem by going into my TV settings and setting my TV to ! to ! pixel ratio.
I guess I'm going to have to find out if there is some kind of advanced mode for my TV..

Dave
Old 04-27-08, 01:06 PM   #5
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Inferno_
Nvidia: Come on??? What the hell is this crap, why can ATI do it and not you?
And like you're gonna get help with that kind of attitude. I'm half-inclined to let you just wallow. But...

Sounds like your NVidia card doesn't have a problem/undesirable feature. Your TV does. TVs sport overscan so you use the whole display surface. Draw your picture smaller on your display and problem solved. With MythTV (albeit analog output) I solved this problem merely by tweaking the TVOverScan in xorg.conf. If that doesn't work and drawing smaller isn't desirable, with digital you can probably set up something similar using TwinView with MetaModes set to scan out only a subset of the entire desktop. Depends on your situation whether this will work.
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 04:12 PM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

As Dark Helmet mentioned, it is very common for TVs to overscan. I've filed an enhancement request to get some sort of overscan correction added to the driver, but I can't promise when such a feature might be implemented.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 03:17 PM   #7
_Inferno_

Dark Helmet: I have a digital display, so unfortunatly the tvoverscan option is not an option.

I also played with my TV's advanced mode settings, and although I can adjust the gun's settings and restore some of the overscanned image, the image is still cut at the top and bottom a little bit or the edges get wobbly and unstable, since the gun was never meant to project a perfect square image. The manufacturer counted on overscan. With Plasma / LCD displays, this is probably less of an issue, but I'm CRT.

AaronP: I feel confident that you will be able to expedite this case. I suggest locking the developers in a room with no energy drinks or pizza until they solve the problem/add the feature. No doubt it won't take long under those conditions There is a huge demand for this feature.

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-09-08, 02:36 PM   #8
bhmcintosh

Send a message via AIM to bhmcintosh

My mythtv box has a 6150 chipset on the motherboard and is feeding a 55" Sony SXRD TV. I don't have any problems with X at all; I can by diddling with the modeline numbers get a pretty good ,screen-filling 1920x1080p picture on the set's HDMI input. My big problem is text/console mode. when the thing boots and when I need to do things on the text console screens, I lose the first and last 2 or 3 lines. No combination of TV set adjustments will ameliorate this problem. And no, moving to the HD15 VGA input is NOT an option - 1300x768 display that leaves 3" black borders all the way around makes that a non-starter.

Is there any mechanism whereby the video chipset may be coerced into shrinking the text-mode output without affecting X?

Old 05-10-08, 02:35 AM   #9
pe1chl

Your textmode is determined by the vga= option on the boot parameter line.
You can edit it in /boot/grub/menu.txt
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 01:27 AM   #10
El1iP3S01D
Saleen s7 TT Rocks:-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorales
How do i do what you suggested, to my Samsung LN-S4092D which is a LCD Monitor TV?
Old 01-27-09, 06:13 AM   #11
slavagt

180.25 - "Viewable area bigger than TV display" bug is here. Did we have any hope in future for NVDIA TV out will be working fine ? Problem is more then half year old !!!!
slavagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 05:59 AM   #12
zwastik

Same problem here, in windows tvout works perfectly fine, but in linux I have this overscan issue, my 25" Sony CRT is kind of old so it does not have any advance mode setting that let me correct this problem.

Is there any workaround for this?

thanks

Ubuntu 8.10
Nvidia driver 180.29
zwastik is offline   Reply With Quote