Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-29-08, 12:57 AM   #1
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Thumbs down Can't update my mobo BIOS

I don't know if it's just with Vista or MSI in whole but I downloaded a BIOS update dated 3/24/08 and I read the readme file attached in the .zip. It says that I need Windows 98/ME ONLY to make a floppy boot disk but then it says in giant caps at the beginning "DO NOT USE BOOT FLOPPY!!!!" Wtf is that all about? Is there any other way I can update my BIOS without having to flash it through 98/ME? I miss my old Gigabyte board where it can flash your BIOS during a windows session... Is there anyone with an MSI board that knows how to flash their BIOS without using 98/ME?

Thanks
-Zapa

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 01:19 AM   #2
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Default Re: Can't update my mobo BIOS

Check the mainboard user manual for instructions on how to flash the BIOS.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 01:23 AM   #3
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

Here are the steps for making a USB boot device. My system has no floppy and this is the only way around that. Basically you gotta format the USB drive with the dos startup files and set it as a booy device in the bios, and VIOLA, you have a fully functional "floppy"

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk
Old 03-29-08, 01:23 AM   #4
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Does MSI boards support flashing the BIOS with an USB thumb drive within the BIOS itself? That's the safest way for Asus boards. Check your user manual.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Old 03-29-08, 09:09 AM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
Check the mainboard user manual for instructions on how to flash the BIOS.
Amuro <3's instructions.

Zapa, it sounds like your downloading a package that's supposed to be used with an application that runs from windows. there are typically two packages, one used for upgrading with a boot disc and one for an application from windows. poke around and see if you can find the app or the boot disc version.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 10:00 AM   #6
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Looks like this is the readme file you're talking about.

You should follow the AMI BIOS flash procedure cause that is the BIOS type listed on the MSI download page:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...1&prod_no=1373

Or use their live update:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloadindex

Quote:
Special Note:
The BIOS and DEVICE DRIVERS contained here are exclusively for Micro-Star products only. Micro-Star assumes no responsibility for any damages resulting from improper use or lack of technical expertise.

WARNING!!!!!
DON'T FLASH FROM A FLOPPY DISK!!!!
DON'T FLASH WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE!!!!
DON'T FLASH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

Award BIOS Flash Procedure
1. Know your model number
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (Some motherboards are named like K8N Diamond; make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like “W7100NMS V1.1 021705” This means the board is MS-7100 with BIOS version 1.1
Hint: Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, and you can either press “PAUSE” or disable the “Quick Boot” in the BIOS setup.

2. Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K8N Diamond; make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is AMD 939 type then look here
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...39%20(AMD%20K8)
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php

3. Extract the BIOS-archive that you have downloaded by double clicking to c:\test

4. Boot your system from a Win98 or WinME boot-floppy.
How to make boot floppy in case your don’t have it ready:
For Win9X, You can type [C:\ format a:/s] from the DOS prompt.
For WinME, You can make a boot floppy from control panel--> add/remove program-->make boot floppy. Remove autoexec.bat & config.sys file if there's any.
For Win2000, there's no way to make boot floppy, so you have to either use Win9X or WinME boot floppy.
For WinXP, you can make a DOS boot disk. Go to Your Computer, right click drive A:, select Format, select copy system files.

5. When you get the A:\ prompt, type the following sequence:
C: <enter>
cd\test <enter>
C:\test> awdfl865 BIOS file
(To save or not to save old BIOS is the user’s decision)

6. Reboot your system when prompted

AMI BIOS Flash Procedure
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (some motherboards are named like 945G Neo2, make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like “MSI 945P/G Neo 2 A7176IMS V3.3 Date: 04/26/06” This means the board is MS-7176 with BIOS version 3.3
Hint: Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, you can either press “PAUSE” or disable the “Quick Boot” in the BIOS setup.

2. Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like 945G Neo2, make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is Intel 775 type then look here
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...%20(Intel%20P4)
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php

3. Extract the BIOS-archive that you have downloaded by double clicking to c:\test

4. Boot your system from a Win98 or WinME boot-floppy.
How to make boot floppy in case your don’t have it ready:
For Win9X, You can type [C:\ format a:/s] from the DOS prompt.
For WinME, You can make a boot floppy from control panel--> add/remove program-->make boot floppy. Remove autoexec.bat & config.sys file if there's any.
For Win2000, there's no way to make boot floppy, so you have to either use Win9X or WinME boot floppy.
For WinXP, you can make a DOS boot disk. Go to Your Computer, right click drive A:, select Format, select copy system files.

5. When you get the A:\ prompt, type the following sequence:
C: <enter>
cd\test <enter>
C:\test> adsfi719 BIOS file
(to save or not to save old BIOS is the user’s decision)

6. Reboot your system when prompted

Flashing the BIOS for Non-FAT file system
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (some motherboards are named like K8N Diamond, make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like “W7100NMS V1.1 021705” This means the board is MS-7100 with BIOS version 1.1
Hint: Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, and you can either press “PAUSE” or disable the “Quick Boot” in the BIOS setup.

3. Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K8N Diamond; make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is AMD 939 type then look here
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...39%20(AMD%20K8)
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here <http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php>

4. Extract the file you have downloaded to a floppy (not the win ME/98 startup floppy) by double clocking the file in windows mode and supplying the path a:\

5. Boot the computer using windows ME or windows 98 startup disk. It must be one of these! A plain boot disk will not be good enough.
If you do not have Windows ME or 98 to create the floppy you can make one on a friend's computer.

6. When boot is done there will be a message on the screen showing:"Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive" followed by a single letter.
This letter is the letter assigned to the RAMDRIVE. This RAMDRIVE is a virtual drive in the system memory and can be accessed and controlled like any other drive with DOS commands such as:
MD - Make Directory
Copy - copy a file
Delete - Delete a file

There is one important difference which is that being in the system memory this drive is wiped once the computer is restarted or shut down.

7. Replace the startup floppy with the one containing the flash utility and bios ROM files previously extracted in windows.

8. Copy the 2 files to the RAMDRIVE by using the DOS command copy.
Here is an example, in this example the flash utility is AWFL865.EXE ,the ROM file is W7100NMS.110 and the RAMDRIVE letter assignment is D

copy awfl865.exe d:\
copy w7100nms.110 d:\

9. Change the current working directory to the RAMDRIVE root directory, with the example case of the RAMDRIVE being drive D this is done by simply done with the command d:

10. Execute the flash utility with the ROM file as a command line argument, with this example:
awfl865 w7100nms.110

If you wish to save the current bios you must specify the full path a:\filename. Specifying only a file name will save the bios to the RAMDRIVE which will be wiped after restarting the computer and the file will not be saved.

a:\bios.old is an example of the correct way to save the bios.

11. Reboot your system when prompted

12. If your system doesn't boot after you flashed, please refer to the BIOS recovery method as described

Old 03-29-08, 11:22 AM   #7
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

looks like Zapafail abandoned this thread
Old 03-29-08, 01:22 PM   #8
Zapablast05

The liveupdate doesn't work at all, I just get utility updates, not even a driver update or anything. I think I'm gonna try that USB method.

Everytime I double-click the BIOS file, WinAce gives me a 16-bit program error thing.

What should I format my flash drive to, FAT, FAT32, exFAT, or NTFS? FAT is default.

Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.

Old 03-29-08, 01:28 PM   #9
Zapablast05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeGod
Here are the steps for making a USB boot device. My system has no floppy and this is the only way around that. Basically you gotta format the USB drive with the dos startup files and set it as a booy device in the bios, and VIOLA, you have a fully functional "floppy"

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

Man, **** that stupid ass website, it's confusing as hell...

Old 03-29-08, 09:53 PM   #10
Amuro
Newtype Ace

You have to figure out a way to boot into DOS mode, go to the folder where you unzipped the files, and type "afud4234 a7380nms.200" without quotes.

Old 03-29-08, 11:14 PM   #11
Zapablast05

I got BronzeGod helping me out with this.

Old 03-30-08, 12:49 AM   #12
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

Yes, ZapaFAIL has successfully flashed his BIOS........without a floppy or MSILive. Yes, I've got