Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-08, 02:10 AM   #1
SilentLexx

Exclamation Linux users need a good driver for nvidia products!

to NVIDIA developers:
When will be made normal working drivers for NVIDIA graphic cards? How many people who paid the chips to wait for your normal support your products to Linux? Drivers for your cards are incompatible with certain motherboards.
Example: I have ASrock ALiveSATA2-GLAN and Geforce 6600, on BIOS ver.2.60 I have hard lockup without any messages, on BIOS ver.2.50 I have Xid messages and only freeze of X server. On BIOS ver.1.50 I have both problem ... I try to use geforce 7300LE and I always have hard lockup with this card. If I use 'nv' or 'vesa' driver all work fine.
Dear NVIDIA's developers, do you find difficult to circumvent, and the reason for these hang and do a normal working driver. You pay a little? ;-)

to the participants in the forum:
Let us moral support expensive NVIDIA developers from the company. Maybe then they will make good support products, eliminating all errors and make possible support of hardware video decoding on Linux ...

To support this request!
Ubuntu 8.10, Albatron KM266Pro, AMD AthlonXP +1800@1600MHz, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 4 MX440.
SilentLexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 02:35 AM   #2
SilentLexx

Default Re: Linux users need a good driver for nvidia products!

PS: on BIOS ver.2.50 and driver ver.96.36 I have hard lockups without Xid messages... Now I use 100.14.19.

PPS: User support from NVIDIA terribly bad! I have often send bug reports and did not never received a response. Shame you!
Ubuntu 8.10, Albatron KM266Pro, AMD AthlonXP +1800@1600MHz, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 4 MX440.
Old 03-14-08, 09:16 AM   #3
energyman76b

Dear Nvidia devs,

thanks for your outstanding drivers.

I had a Gf2 mx400, a Gf4mx44, a GfFX5200, a Gf6600 and now a Gf8600GT.

And all cards always worked perfectly fine with your drivers!

No lockups.
No crashes.
Fast 3d.
Reasonable fast 2d.

Thank you very much!

ps.
SilentLexx - have you ever tried a non-crap mobo? Or a PSU powerfull enough to drive your rig? Like Enermax?
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 09:47 AM   #4
SilentLexx

Yes, until upgrade my PC I have very stable system with GeForce 4 MX440.

Embarrassed at the fact that everything is normal on Windows, and I can not complain in tech.support and change mobo. Because they do not work with Linux. But if the on Windows and the 'nv' driver has no such problems, it means hardware in order? Is't?

PS: On Windows I do not work for a number of reasons, one of which was a lack of stability of the system. When I upgrade my PC, I buy NVIDIA card because it worked before, and knew the good support for Linux. But now I am disappointed ...
Old 03-14-08, 10:14 AM   #5
txf

Frankly I'm not too happy at the recent quality of the drivers. When linux desktop and display technology was pretty static in the early xorg days I was quite satisfied with the nvidia drivers. These days it seems to me that nvidia has problems catching up.

Being behind isn't such a big problem but when my 2d performance on an 8600m gt sucks then yes all these small black marks start piling up. I have to say that honestly in the future 2/3 years my next laptop probably won't have a nvidia card. I'm not too fussy I JUST WANT DECENT 2D ACCELERATION
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 10:19 AM   #6
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLexx
Yes, until upgrade my PC I have very stable system with GeForce 4 MX440.

Embarrassed at the fact that everything is normal on Windows, and I can not complain in tech.support and change mobo. Because they do not work with Linux. But if the on Windows and the 'nv' driver has no such problems, it means hardware in order? Is't?
nv needs a lot less energy (because most of the card is unused)
windows needs less energy.

So no, your problems could still be hardware related. A bad PSU. A bad mobo with ****ty voltage regulators or a lot of line noise.

Quote:
PS: On Windows I do not work for a number of reasons, one of which was a lack of stability of the system. When I upgrade my PC, I buy NVIDIA card because it worked before, and knew the good support for Linux. But now I am disappointed ...
so windows was not stable? maybe it really is a hardware problem?
Old 03-14-08, 10:21 AM   #7
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf
Frankly I'm not too happy at the recent quality of the drivers. When linux desktop and display technology was pretty static in the early xorg days I was quite satisfied with the nvidia drivers. These days it seems to me that nvidia has problems catching up.

Being behind isn't such a big problem but when my 2d performance on an 8600m gt sucks then yes all these small black marks start piling up. I have to say that honestly in the future 2/3 years my next laptop probably won't have a nvidia card. I'm not too fussy I JUST WANT DECENT 2D ACCELERATION
AND YOU GET DECENT 2D ACCELERATION.

But you are not demanding 'decent' 2d acceleration, you want 'really great' 2d acceleration. It might be a surprise for you, but acceleration 2d is not as easy as it might look like.

btw, could you please point out where NVIDIA is falling behind? Compared to say ATI or MATROX or SIS or S3/VIA or INTEL?
Old 03-14-08, 01:00 PM   #8
brainkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
AND YOU GET DECENT 2D ACCELERATION.

But you are not demanding 'decent' 2d acceleration, you want 'really great' 2d acceleration. It might be a surprise for you, but acceleration 2d is not as easy as it might look like.

btw, could you please point out where NVIDIA is falling behind? Compared to say ATI or MATROX or SIS or S3/VIA or INTEL?
Playing a devil's advocate, a? Well, I do not want 2D acceleration that is 'greater' in any sense than 2D acceleration on Windows machine I use at work - smooth scrolling in Firefox 2, responsive GUI... on a Sempron 3000+ and nVidia 5200, whilst my 3 GHz dual core Athlon64 and nVidia 9600GT are giving me 1999. experience, esp. in Firefox (and that is FF 3, quite a performer when compared to FF2). I think I am entitled to ask, if not demand improved 2D support, as well as a response from someone in charge, not a local smartass...
brainkilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-08, 01:07 PM   #9
SilentLexx

Quote:
so windows was not stable? maybe it really is a hardware problem?
I mean the system in general ;-) (I don't like Windows at all)
About PSU maybe you rights. Hangs heavy in the system more frequently. For example when many usb devices connected.
Old 03-14-08, 01:19 PM   #10
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainkilla
Playing a devil's advocate, a? Well, I do not want 2D acceleration that is 'greater' in any sense than 2D acceleration on Windows machine I use at work - smooth scrolling in Firefox 2, responsive GUI... on a Sempron 3000+ and nVidia 5200, whilst my 3 GHz dual core Athlon64 and nVidia 9600GT are giving me 1999. experience, esp. in Firefox (and that is FF 3, quite a performer when compared to FF2). I think I am entitled to ask, if not demand improved 2D support, as well as a response from someone in charge, not a local smartass...
ah, and now we are down to insulting people?

hm, I don't use firefox, but I did not have scrolling problems in the past nor now with Konqueror. And the 171.0X driver even made it better ....

Quote:
I mean the system in general ;-) (I don't like Windows at all)
About PSU maybe you rights. Hangs heavy in the system more frequently. For example when many usb devices connected.
that is certainly a symptom that warrants a closer investigation.

Most PSUs out there suck. Even expensive brands.
For example this test:
http://www.tomshardware.com/de/stres...-237758-8.html

8 PSUs, 4 were bad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/de/Netzt...chte-1162.html

32% bad

PSUs are a VERY important and still almost always overlooked component.
Old 03-14-08, 02:57 PM   #11
nielsb

Quote:
Try to hook up an external VGA projector against a Linux installation with NVIDIA drivrs and compare that to a Linux installation with Intel (for example).

For more, see this thread, among others and you'll see how far behind NVIDIA is. Granted this has nothing to do with 2D/3D acceleration (which BTW, I have no complaints about), but pure usability - which in my mind is even more important.

Niels
nielsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 03:15 PM   #12
txf

I'm hardly the only one that has problems with the 2d acceleration under linux. If I thought I was I would drop my complaints. The fact that 2d speed is regressing is fairly annoying but it could be explained by more rich interfaces.

3 years ago I used to have a laptop with a geforce 6200 go. Frankly it was much more snappy at the time and for some years after than my brand new 8600m is now.

Have you tried kde4? It works better on Intel graphics cards than on any nvidia card, It even works faster in a nested x which isn't even accelerated. This is what I mean. I know I can't expect nvidia to drop everything to fix it but I would at least like them to be more forthcoming. They could say no it isn't our problem it's X (or whatever else) or yes it is a problem but we won't fix it for some time.

I remember when nvidia introduced texture from pixmap to their drivers and initially everyone was having problem with the black windows. They then said yes it is a problem and it will be fixed in the future.

Today, yes, the drivers are the best (mostly) and in 3d its really good (at least for me). I think that eventually ati or intel drivers will catch up maybe not in 3d features but certainly in features that matter to desktop users.

Well, I won't complain anymore ... I'll either wait for nouveau to mature or get a laptop with different card in the future...my gfx card is not being used optimally as I can't make use of its power.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote