Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-08, 10:05 AM   #13
draconux

Unhappy Re: Hybrid power support on Linux?

this is really sad
thanks for your responses
draconux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 04:31 PM   #14
Nico.Laus

Default Re: Hybrid power support on Linux?

thanks for your clarification on that topic

it really is quite unfortunate though - I can just hope that your (NVidia's) plans change in future and that you'll support this great feature on Linux as well...

... for now that did at least save me some money on buying a 9xxx graphics card whose only real difference compared to the old 8xxx is Hybrid Power. I also won't be needing a new mainboard then...
Nico.Laus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 08:30 PM   #15
Jogie214

I have to agree with Nico.Laus, I would buy a new graphics card and a new mb, if I would benefit from Hybrid-Power under linux (In germany electric bills are very high ), but if there is no support for hybrid-power I'm happy with my good old geforce7600gs...
Jogie214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-08, 04:24 PM   #16
rrobbb

Is there any movement on hybrid power on Linux?

I'm thinking about a new graphics card/motherboard.
I'd only buy a 9800 series graphics card, and high end nforce powered motherboard
if hybrid power was supported. Otherwise, I'd make do with something less power-hungry, and
quieter.

Also, the company I work for needs low power workstations, (quiet on-set in the movie
industry.) If there was hybrid power on Linux, this might encourage use to think about using higher end GPUs.
rrobbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 11:17 AM   #17
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

I just purchased the ASUS Crosshair II Formula. I wasn't counting on the ability to use either Hybrid Power or Hybrid SLI on Linux, but it would be nice. I am surprised that it appears that more people are interested in Hybrid Power. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but Hybrid Power and Hybrid SLI are two different things, right?

Does (Will) the Linux drivers support Hybrid SLI? I didn't find any mention of it on the web or the forums.

Thanks,
Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 08:08 AM   #18
Nico.Laus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroombr
I am surprised that it appears that more people are interested in Hybrid Power. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but Hybrid Power and Hybrid SLI are two different things, right?
yes, those two are different:
  • Hybrid SLI is the ability to combine the power of a dedicated graphics card with the mainboard's GPU
  • Hybrid Power is the ability to switch off the dedicated graphics card if the 3D application does not require that much performance and the mainboard's GPU can (easily) handle the graphics on its own

However, they seam to come together - so graphics cards either support both or none (afaik).

The thing with Hybrid SLI is, that if you have a high performance dedicated graphics card, SLI with the rather low-performance onboard chip is not really worth it and might even decrease performance if each of the graphics cards renders alternating frames (the dedicated GPU just has to wait too long for the onboard GPU to finish its frame) - maybe there are different SLI configurations, I don't know.

Also on linux you'd mostly not be interested in SLI since most linux games do not require that much performance - and most of the time you're working without the need of a high-performance 3D graphics card (ok, maybe there are some 3D applications...) - that is why Hybrid Power is a much more crucial feature for linux users than Hybrid SLI.
Old 05-22-08, 08:35 AM   #19
apaige

I'm not sure "most", as in, the number of linux games, is relevant, since there are very few high-profile games on linux. I think those matter most. UT3, ET: QW could use a boost in performance on systems with low-to-midrange discrete cards.
apaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 08:49 AM   #20
Nico.Laus

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaige
I'm not sure "most", as in, the number of linux games, is relevant, since there are very few high-profile games on linux. I think those matter most. UT3, ET: QW could use a boost in performance on systems with low-to-midrange discrete cards.
ok, with those cards it's probably important too...

@UT3: last time I checked, the linux client was not released yet and there are very few other "high-profile games" on linux

Old 05-22-08, 01:26 PM   #21
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico.Laus
@UT3: last time I checked, the linux client was not released yet and there are very few other "high-profile games" on linux
True, but unless Linux supports "high-profile" games, they will never come. I have also found that Wine has been doing a great job of running several "Windows only" games quite well and having the horsepower to run those is important.

Ken
Old 09-21-08, 06:34 PM   #22
aigarius

Soooo, World of Warcraft (that has been running on Linux since ... forever) is not high-profile enough? Native games are not all there is, you know. I lot of WoW players frustrated with viruses and with keyloggers stealing their WoW accounts and destroying their characters that the players have spent years to make. Now these frustrated people are going either to Mac or to Linux just to play WoW there. Often they also stay for other things.

But back to the topic - support of the Hybrid Power and Hybrid SLI on Linux could make a significant impact on the buying decision for new notebooks. You need a dedicated video card (preferably with Hybrid SLI) to run WoW on Linux, but you cann't have that video card draining your battery on the important trip, thus making Hybrid Power essential. If ATi get it first, they could have a significant advantage in a rapidly growing demographic.
aigarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 04:12 PM   #23
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigarius View Post
Soooo, World of Warcraft (that has been running on Linux since ... forever) is not high-profile enough?
World of Warcraft is just one game. Every little bit helps, but there are many popular games that will not run on Linux, native or via Wine.

Ken
Old 09-22-08, 05:19 PM   #24
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

I too wish additional work would be done for Linux support as well as XP for Hyrid technologies.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote