Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-24-09, 11:16 AM   #97
Scendore

Default Re: Tom Clancy's HAWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padibuz View Post
The game supports TrackIR, amBX, triplehead monitor setups, some sort of moving piloting chair thingie, and has Directx10 support for the PC, with volumetric clouds, god rays and all that jazz.

So yeah, the gadgets support is pretty cool

edit.
And what's wrong with an arcade game ? It's never been marketed as a simulator so I honestly don't get what the problem is. What's next, bashing Serious Sam for not having a character advancement system ?

There is nothing wrong with an Arcade game. It's a common reaction to folks that play more hardcore flight sims to look at a game like HAWKs and not appreciate it for what it is.

The fact that is supports a TIR is a great move on their part. I've been using a TIR for years now and it's absolutely made simming a whole new experience. It might just open people up to what is already out there.

Honestly I would like HAWKs to be successful because more guys will be introduced to my favorite genre. Right now the ranks are fairly thin because there aren't a lot of good sims to look forward too in the future. Too many Arcade, RTS, and Shooters to keep everyone distracted. Simulations by nature are played for years not a few months and then a new product comes out and you start playing that. Also most sims have a pretty good learning curve and it takes time to get good. HAWKs I'm sure has some elements of this built in but it will be more on an arcade level. That's why you get the attitude towards an arcade flight game.
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 11:44 AM   #98
JasonPC

There's nothing wrong with an arcade game. In some aspects I like it because it makes combat much easier. But when you start bending physics, that's when I get a little concerned. I liked the old novalogic flight sims. They weren't too complicated but not too arcadey either.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 12:05 PM   #99
Sabadin

My biggest complaint is that this game has been getting so much attention and praise simply because of the Clancy brand. I've played the 360 demo, and I've had more fun with the AC series and the old Jane's Combat series by EA. Even though it's arcadey, the physics in it are just plain broken. Why does a jet moving at 3000+mph feel slower than most other sims at 500mph? Hell, a harrier stalling at 300 mph made me laugh.

Most people probably wouldn't have given this thing a second glance if it was by any other publisher.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 12:50 PM   #100
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadin View Post
My biggest complaint is that this game has been getting so much attention and praise simply because of the Clancy brand. I've played the 360 demo, and I've had more fun with the AC series and the old Jane's Combat series by EA. Even though it's arcadey, the physics in it are just plain broken. Why does a jet moving at 3000+mph feel slower than most other sims at 500mph? Hell, a harrier stalling at 300 mph made me laugh.

Most people probably wouldn't have given this thing a second glance if it was by any other publisher.

Janes Combat Series are considered to be medium hardcore. You're probable right that people are interested because of the Brand but also it looks good too. The sense of speed is a seperate issue and given it's an arcade game it gets a pass.

This thread is interesting to read because it does a great job of giving us hardcore guys a different perspective.

I will be pulling down the demo for my PS3 come the 26th. I will be open mided even though I know I'm a snob when it comes to flight sims...

Just seeing the Top Gun "hit the brakes and he'll fly right by" routine says it all.....
Old 02-24-09, 12:59 PM   #101
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
There's nothing wrong with an arcade game. In some aspects I like it because it makes combat much easier. But when you start bending physics, that's when I get a little concerned. I liked the old novalogic flight sims. They weren't too complicated but not too arcadey either.
"Combat much easier" says quite a bit.... If you knew how it was really done it's not that much harder you just have to understand some concepts. Weapons deployment isn't all that difficult. Once you get the concepts down your enjoyment factor for getting a kill will go through the roof.

The concepts can be taught in about 15 minutes for BVR fighting.... The concepts of BFM and ACM are much more complex and would take a while.

Getting into a knife fight in a phone booth is one of the best parts of combat flight sim. Being able to use some real world tatics against a human brings it to a whole new level. That is something the arcade jockeys will never get to experience.
Old 02-24-09, 08:25 PM   #102
JasonPC

I think it was Lock On that I didn't like. Seemed a bit complicated for my taste.
Old 02-25-09, 10:19 PM   #103
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
I think it was Lock On that I didn't like. Seemed a bit complicated for my taste.
I have to laugh because by other standards LOCKON is a moderate to hardcore sim. It's lacking in many areas but solid enough to be considered a good Modern Combat sim.

Some would argue but I say Falcon 4 is considered the king of Modern Combat Flight sims.

The problem is guys get caught up by all the silly swithology and they miss the good stuff.

Mentioning F4 in a HAWX thread is not so wise. Apples and Trash Trucks...
Old 02-25-09, 10:36 PM   #104
JasonPC

I guess I wouldn't say it was too hard, it just seemed clunky and not very intuitive to me.

Old 02-26-09, 10:12 AM   #105
Scendore

Yeah part of that stems from the fact they semi automated some of the radar controls and they didn't explain why things happen. Also their Semi Active and Active Radar guided stuff was fairly full proof. It's really difficult to spoof or drag out/pump some of those missiles.

So I agree it was kinda clunky... The stuff in the SU27s where pretty spot on and using the IRST and such worked great.

Part off the clunkyness is they didn't make it a study sim. Meaning 6 different planes to choose from they didn't detail anyone of them out for the most part. The A10 was well done since they are simple planes to begin with. The F-15 was pretty lacking.

The Flaming Cliffs addon is where things got really interesting with the SU25. They did a great job.

Again I hope HAWX opens up a new crowd to the genre. It looks like it has the potential.
Old 02-26-09, 11:05 AM   #106
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Hawx is clearly aimed at the arcade and console market. I don't think it can motivate gamers to look into sims. It's so dumbed down it can't provide any hints on what combat sims could look like Getting a console gamer interested in sims takes more than Hawx. Hawx is there to start a new franchise to compete against Ace Combat and similar titles.
+1
Old 02-27-09, 11:01 AM   #107
trivium nate

i hear that the pc demo of this game comes out march 2nd im so downloading it!!
hopefully the graphics will be good n stuff
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 03:26 PM   #108
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Hawx is clearly aimed at the arcade and console market. I don't think it can motivate gamers to look into sims. It's so dumbed down it can't provide any hints on what combat sims could look like Getting a console gamer interested in sims takes more than Hawx. Hawx is there to start a new franchise to compete against Ace Combat and similar titles.
You would be correct sir... I downloaded the demo for the PS3 a few days ago and Played around with it. From a pure simming perspective it has nothing to do with being a sim. It's an arcade game end of story and with that said I doubt anyone would make the jump to a real sim.

It's a nice looking game but I think Black Shark Gives it a run for it's money in many respects.