Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-08, 06:11 PM   #49
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Coming August 31

All these reactions to the PC port... must be a pretty bad port, that's all I can say. The console game is quite good.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 06:58 PM   #50
Bman212121

I'm borrowing this game from a friend for a day. I first installed it onto a pc with a 17" LCD with 1280 x 1024 native res. Go figure, but the game doesn't support that resolution, so I had to set it to 1024 x 768. (He had the same problem) It looked absolutely awful, it wasn't even funny. Part of that is due to the boat and the water reflections. Where they start you off is pretty bad graphics. The other thing that I noticed right away was their cute little symbols for what keys do what instead of just telling you a key to press, that was another major drawback as I had to keep going into the options to figure out what the controls were.

I brought it home and installed it on the rig in my sig. Now, interestingly enough my monitor is 1920 x 1200 and that resolution doesn't show up in the options either. This time it did give me higher resolution options and I was able to run 1920 x 1080. From what I can remember vaguely from the other pc this did make a little bit of a difference. FYI I don't have 1680 x 1050 in the options either, but I do have 1600 x 1200 as the highest 4:3 res. I did try changing it to 1280 x 1024 in the config file on the other pc, but that just threw it back to 640 x 480, so I'm guessing they need a patch to fix the resolution settings.

I just took 2 screenies of this game about 3 minutes into it.

These were taken with AA and AF enabled, although it doesn't look like AA is being enabled judging by the bad jaggie on the vehicle. What I found interesting about those pics I took is you need to look at certain objects. The character model looks much smoother than anything else I think I've seen so far. There are two flames just to the left of her head in the 2nd pic, those flames looks pretty good in motion. The lighting on the building looks decent, and the building textures aren't too bad. Then if you look at either of the vehicles they have pretty poor textures, and the ground and foliage aren't impressive either. Overall it kind of looks like they blurred the textures a little to hide some of the jaggies.

My impression on this pc is a lot better than when I first saw it on the other pc at 1024 x 768. It still isn't impressive by todays standard, but it makes it bearable. My friend added that later on in the game it will look at little better yet, and it sounded like it could be a little fun.

Now to rag on it a little more. I was hoping to get this game to be able to play coop with my friend and also be able to play during a lan party with it. The game only has 2 player coop via online ONLY. You need to login to EA to be able to play 2 player coop. This alone takes the game off my list as it defeats the purpose of why I wanted to play it. 2 Player coop might be okay if it were a $20 game, but I don't think it deserves to be full price when it's missing lan and multiplayer. (2+) It is more or less a single player game.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 07:17 PM   #51
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Those screens really don't look any better than the console game, other than resolution. That was probably a given, but I figured I would confirm it anyway.

And play further... give the game a chance. Once you get all the cool weapons and airstrikes it's almost impossible not to have fun.
Old 09-09-08, 07:47 PM   #52
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
I'm borrowing this game from a friend for a day. I first installed it onto a pc with a 17" LCD with 1280 x 1024 native res. Go figure, but the game doesn't support that resolution, so I had to set it to 1024 x 768. (He had the same problem) It looked absolutely awful, it wasn't even funny. Part of that is due to the boat and the water reflections. Where they start you off is pretty bad graphics. The other thing that I noticed right away was their cute little symbols for what keys do what instead of just telling you a key to press, that was another major drawback as I had to keep going into the options to figure out what the controls were.

I brought it home and installed it on the rig in my sig. Now, interestingly enough my monitor is 1920 x 1200 and that resolution doesn't show up in the options either. This time it did give me higher resolution options and I was able to run 1920 x 1080. From what I can remember vaguely from the other pc this did make a little bit of a difference. FYI I don't have 1680 x 1050 in the options either, but I do have 1600 x 1200 as the highest 4:3 res. I did try changing it to 1280 x 1024 in the config file on the other pc, but that just threw it back to 640 x 480, so I'm guessing they need a patch to fix the resolution settings.

I just took 2 screenies of this game about 3 minutes into it.

These were taken with AA and AF enabled, although it doesn't look like AA is being enabled judging by the bad jaggie on the vehicle. What I found interesting about those pics I took is you need to look at certain objects. The character model looks much smoother than anything else I think I've seen so far. There are two flames just to the left of her head in the 2nd pic, those flames looks pretty good in motion. The lighting on the building looks decent, and the building textures aren't too bad. Then if you look at either of the vehicles they have pretty poor textures, and the ground and foliage aren't impressive either. Overall it kind of looks like they blurred the textures a little to hide some of the jaggies.

My impression on this pc is a lot better than when I first saw it on the other pc at 1024 x 768. It still isn't impressive by todays standard, but it makes it bearable. My friend added that later on in the game it will look at little better yet, and it sounded like it could be a little fun.

Now to rag on it a little more. I was hoping to get this game to be able to play coop with my friend and also be able to play during a lan party with it. The game only has 2 player coop via online ONLY. You need to login to EA to be able to play 2 player coop. This alone takes the game off my list as it defeats the purpose of why I wanted to play it. 2 Player coop might be okay if it were a $20 game, but I don't think it deserves to be full price when it's missing lan and multiplayer. (2+) It is more or less a single player game.
Thanks for the write up. It certainly is not what I'd call a Next Gen looking game by any means. Gameplay would have to be hella fun for me to buy it.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 07:53 PM   #53
Bman212121

Here are a few more screenies I took.

Tank FTW. Being able to actually drive through trees and buildings is a plus.

A few more from the first mission.

This is from the second mission.

Now to break everyone's heart. The FMV scene makes me want to puke. The commentary is kind of funny but I can barely watch the video it looks that bad. I'm not sure what they were going for here but it consists of fail.

A couple more from the second mission.

The bike is impossible to handle with a KB, I'm not sure how it works with a game controller, but it will do a 90 degree turn if you're stopped and try to make any maneuvers. I thought I was going to die just trying to get through the gate. The car handled okay, a lot better than the bike did. The tank wasn't too bad to drive either.

I might play a few more minutes here but I keep getting this recurring thought that I'm playing and old game and I turned off all of the options, that's seriously what it feels like to me. There are no physics what so ever, people don't ragdoll, the bike makes the sound as if it's spinning the wheel but doesn't leave a mark and it drives completely flat. I ran into something and rather than the front wheel being lifted up the entire bike went up into the air at the same time like a rectangular box that got lifted in the air. When I drive into trees or other stuff it doesn't fall over or blow apart, it just disappears. It must have EA style hitboxes cause I had a full headshot with a red crosshair and it took at least a clip to kill the person. It's like my rifle can only shoot as far as a pistol. I don't mean to keep ragging on this game but I'm still looking for something that is actually impressive.
Old 09-09-08, 08:20 PM   #54
Destroy

Quote:
I don't mean to keep ragging on this game but I'm still looking for something that is actually impressive.
That about sums it up for this game it seems. Glad I didn't waste $50.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 08:34 PM   #55
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
That about sums it up for this game it seems. Glad I didn't waste $50.
Yea same here, I finished out that mission and I'm washing my hands of this game. I did finally see some physics from boxes and figured out the weapon problem a little (The gun doesn't like to shoot anywhere near the dot in the middle unless you are crouched), but the part where I had to steal the tank was about as stupid as it gets. Once again they used those stupid little symbols, but apparently when the your in the middle of a mission and you esc to goto the control menu, they disappear. (Some of them were shown if you goto into the options from the main menu.)

You basically have to get close to the tank, hit e to climb up the turret, hit f to melee the dudes gun out of his hand, then you need to mash the space bar to pull the grenade away from him. It took me about 10 minutes to find the right keys to do that, cause I couldn't figure out what the symbols meant. What's so stupid about it is that if you hit the wrong key it just gives you a red x and puts you back on the ground next to the tank, and you actually gain health while failing that part because your health regens while your waiting for the animations.

Uninstalling now.
Old 09-10-08, 01:30 AM   #56
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
I don't mean to keep ragging on this game but I'm still looking for something that is actually impressive.
It's HELLA fun, basically.

All your comments and insults of the game are graphics and technology based. The game does not excel in these areas, no. It does, however, shoot adrenaline up your ass constantly after the first couple missions, and everything is able to be exploded, and you get tactical nukes for God's sake.

I mean, if you don't get it, that's fine... but I honestly can't imagine anyone not enjoying this game. I guess judging by the widely different reviews, 5-9 depending on the site, some people can indeed find it boring... but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Old 09-10-08, 07:32 AM   #57
Sectus

Quote:
The bike is impossible to handle with a KB, I'm not sure how it works with a game controller, but it will do a 90 degree turn if you're stopped and try to make any maneuvers. I thought I was going to die just trying to get through the gate. The car handled okay, a lot better than the bike did. The tank wasn't too bad to drive either.
The controls for vehicles are the same on 360 and PC. It might feel a bit natural to turn with an analog stick, but it's basically identical. PC version has a small advantage that it's easier to navigate a tank while aiming and shooting.

Quote:
I might play a few more minutes here but I keep getting this recurring thought that I'm playing and old game and I turned off all of the options, that's seriously what it feels like to me. There are no physics what so ever, people don't ragdoll, the bike makes the sound as if it's spinning the wheel but doesn't leave a mark and it drives completely flat. I ran into something and rather than the front wheel being lifted up the entire bike went up into the air at the same time like a rectangular box that got lifted in the air. When I drive into trees or other stuff it doesn't fall over or blow apart, it just disappears. It must have EA style hitboxes cause I had a full headshot with a red crosshair and it took at least a clip to kill the person. It's like my rifle can only shoot as far as a pistol. I don't mean to keep ragging on this game but I'm still looking for something that is actually impressive.
No physics whatsoever? No ragdoll? Try killing any person with explosives or driving on someone, there's your ragdoll. Regarding physics, well, kick any object, or blow up anything... there's your physics.

The game starts to really kick off after getting the PMC, it's then you start to get lots of options and missions become a lot less linear. You can easily do each mission 10 or more different ways. And the game is much much MUCH more fun when played coop.

If people can look past the average graphics, quirky controls and random bugs you'll find one of most fun games to be released this year. And the developer is already working on a patch which should hopefully fix most of the bugs in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I mean, if you don't get it, that's fine... but I honestly can't imagine anyone not enjoying this game. I guess judging by the widely different reviews, 5-9 depending on the site, some people can indeed find it boring... but I can't for the life of me figure out why.
I've been listening to a few podcasts from the press regarding Mercs 2. It seems just about everybody agrees Mercs 2 is a fun game, but they complain a *lot* about the bugs. I personally find those complaints to be vastly exaggarated, most of the bugs are so trivial it doesn't matter (like hovering boxes or clipping issues), and some bugs are so amusing I don't mind them at all (like an AI car randomly starting to bounce off the road). There's a few bugs which are gamebreaking, but they're extremely rare and just about all of those are fixed by restarting the game.

I've been playing coop for about 15 hours so far and I personally encountered no bugs which ruined the gameplay. My friend encountered one bug where it became impossible for him to regain health, but that was fixed by simply restarting the server.
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:37 AM   #58
|MaguS|

I played the game on the PS3 last night and really enjoyed it, but then again I loved the original. I think the game as a whole is better then GTA4 (mainly thanks to tree's not being as strong as buildings).

Yeah its not a graphical masterpiece but it looks decent and is fun as hell to play.
Old 09-10-08, 08:06 AM   #59
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

worst game i played entire year, simply pathetic
Old 09-10-08, 08:10 AM   #60
ATi
RooR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
worst game i played entire year, simply pathetic