Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-08, 08:47 AM   #61
Bman212121

Default Re: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Coming August 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It's HELLA fun, basically.

All your comments and insults of the game are graphics and technology based. The game does not excel in these areas, no. It does, however, shoot adrenaline up your ass constantly after the first couple missions, and everything is able to be exploded, and you get tactical nukes for God's sake.

I mean, if you don't get it, that's fine... but I honestly can't imagine anyone not enjoying this game. I guess judging by the widely different reviews, 5-9 depending on the site, some people can indeed find it boring... but I can't for the life of me figure out why.
I think that's probably what it is. I don't have the patience to play a game for 5 hours to get to the good part. My friend who has it says he liked it as well, but he has a lot more tolerance than I do.

There are other things that I did leave out, like you can't climb stuff as far as I can tell. I was stuck in the pool and couldn't even climb up a little ledge to get out. I would agree with you that I might have more fun when I did get to the part where the real guns came out, but it's not worth it to me to have to suffer through the beginning to get there.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 08:49 AM   #62
|MaguS|

I fell in the pool aswell... all you had to do was swim over to the ladder and climb out. Funny that Enemies die if they fall into the pool but you don't, hehe.
Old 09-10-08, 08:53 AM   #63
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I fell in the pool aswell... all you had to do was swim over to the ladder and climb out. Funny that Enemies die if they fall into the pool but you don't, hehe.
I didn't see a ladder, but I was on the side opposite of the mansion so there might not be one on that side. I ended up swimming back to the stairs to get out of the pool. On that side there is a little circle waiting pool with a low ledge, your character cannot get into that part with any of the buttons I pressed.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 11:24 AM   #64
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
I think that's probably what it is. I don't have the patience to play a game for 5 hours to get to the good part. My friend who has it says he liked it as well, but he has a lot more tolerance than I do.

There are other things that I did leave out, like you can't climb stuff as far as I can tell. I was stuck in the pool and couldn't even climb up a little ledge to get out. I would agree with you that I might have more fun when I did get to the part where the real guns came out, but it's not worth it to me to have to suffer through the beginning to get there.
Well I liked it from the start, I just didn't start to really love it until I was a few hours in.

Reviews on this game are so widely varied, not only from professionals but also from reader reviews. One guy will give it a 10 and the next a 4. It is obviously a love it or hate it game, and I guess it all boils down to your tolerance of technical issues. For me I have spent 28 hours on the game in a week and have been more addicted to it than any game since GTA4... for others here, they played a couple missions and stopped altogether. Love it or hate it.

One thing I will say: I have a feeling the PC version is crap. As said, I am playing it on console, and if you have a console I strongly urge you to check it out someday when it's cheaper. The game actually looks pretty good on an HDTV relative to other console games, and while it has some bugs it generally runs fine and smooth.

All I know is I unlocked the laser-guided cruise missle last night, and I destroyed an entire island of Jamaican buildings, supplies and infantry. And it was SWEET.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 12:21 PM   #65
Sectus

Well, the PC and console versions are pretty much identical. There's a few things which is a bit of an annoyance on the PC version:
-AA doesn't work
-You see generic icons instead of specific buttons when hijacking vehicles
-You can't turn off autoaim (although it's so minor it has little effect anyway)
-There's a few technical issues with specific hardware configurations

On the other hand, the PC version has some advantages too:
-Tank controls are significantly better
-You can aim (well, it's technically possible to aim with a gamepad too, just a lot lot easier with a mouse)
-You can run the game at a high framerate all the time

The console versions will probably give a better first impression, but if you can get past a few oddities, the PC version is just fine.

I find it unbelieveable so many people dislike the game. This is basically GTA+Battlefield+coop... you can't go wrong with that!
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 01:59 PM   #66
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectus View Post
Well, the PC and console versions are pretty much identical. There's a few things which is a bit of an annoyance on the PC version:
-AA doesn't work
-You see generic icons instead of specific buttons when hijacking vehicles
-You can't turn off autoaim (although it's so minor it has little effect anyway)
-There's a few technical issues with specific hardware configurations

On the other hand, the PC version has some advantages too:
-Tank controls are significantly better
-You can aim (well, it's technically possible to aim with a gamepad too, just a lot lot easier with a mouse)
-You can run the game at a high framerate all the time

The console versions will probably give a better first impression, but if you can get past a few oddities, the PC version is just fine.

I find it unbelieveable so many people dislike the game. This is basically GTA+Battlefield+coop... you can't go wrong with that!
people expected a more polished release is all, took them a couple of years to develop and some of the bugs / glitches are just so easy to spot, you wonder who tested the games for them, they need to be fired Im sure most things can be fixed with patches, but for 50$ you always want top quality release. I was looking forward to play this one but going to wait and see what patches if any get released first.
Old 09-11-08, 01:14 AM   #67
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I pretty much agree completely with this Game Trailers review, for those still interested in maybe grabbing the game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39789.html

About the only thing I disagree with is the voice acting comment... I thought the acting was great and the one-liners funny, they're just repeated too often.
Old 09-11-08, 02:50 AM   #68
KoosAlberts

For all the people with the widescreen resolution problem, there is a fix for that:
http://dynamiclinq.blogspot.com/2008...80-x-1050.html

so just edit the ini, and then start the mercs2res.exe, and it works for me ! I'm now playing at 1680x1050 only AA still isn't working for me
KoosAlberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-08, 08:47 AM   #69
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoosAlberts View Post
For all the people with the widescreen resolution problem, there is a fix for that:
http://dynamiclinq.blogspot.com/2008...80-x-1050.html

so just edit the ini, and then start the mercs2res.exe, and it works for me ! I'm now playing at 1680x1050 only AA still isn't working for me
Is there no way to edit the ini & get it to stick without having to run the program from the link above?

I hate "running" things i know nothing about.
Old 09-11-08, 09:14 AM   #70
KoosAlberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Is there no way to edit the ini & get it to stick without having to run the program from the link above?

I hate "running" things i know nothing about.
No not yet, probably because it changes something in the mercenaries.exe. But i scanned it with virustotal.com (thats all virusscanners in 1 :P) and says it's clean
KoosAlberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 12:29 PM   #71
Paddywak

Old 09-13-08, 01:53 AM   #72
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Supposedly there is a demo up now on Xbox 360 and there will be one on Thursday for PSN, so those with a console can try the game out for themselves.

No word on a PC demo.