Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-03, 07:23 PM   #1
fearofcarpet

Angry 100% CPU Utilization isntead of OpenGL on AthlonXP2100+

I figure I'll just post my problem then attach whatever files/outputs are needed...

I recently swapped my Celery out for an ASUS A7V333 & AthlonXP2100+ (and left Linux as is). I was running RedHat 9, kernel-2.4.20-9.athlon and the latest NVidia driver (4363) on my GF2MX. Everything was happy until the switch, at which point all my OpenGL apps pegged the CPU at 100% and gave slow, crappy graphics. I later upgraded to a GF4 Ti4200- same problem. I have reinstalled Mesa, the NVidia driver, qt, ran through all the OpenGL troubleshooting in the NVidia manual... I don't know what else to try, or even where to look for a problem!

FYI I installed the athlon version of the RH9 kernel because the x86's crash so I haven't been able to see if the i686 kernel (which I was using with the Celery) has the same problem. Me wantie fast fast 3D back!
fearofcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-03, 07:47 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Please read http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=9614 and post the requested information.

--andy
Old 05-01-03, 08:28 PM   #3
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Uninstall Mesa. Install nVidia's package and leave it at that. Mesa is software OpenGL and will definitely peg your CPU.

If you're using agpgart, you may also need to edit your kernel config and make sure you're using the right AGP driver (Under "character devices").
Old 05-02-03, 08:24 AM   #4
fearofcarpet

Default Info

Ok, here is that info.
____

Model: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: 04.28.20.05.24
Card Type: AGP

_____
XFree86 log/Config are included in a single text file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config_xfree86log.txt (43.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-02-03, 08:41 AM   #5
fearofcarpet

Default Mesa

Ok, Mesa is gone and I reinstalled the NVidia driver, but the problem remains. Thanks for the suggestion though; I will leave it uninstalled.

Perhaps this belongs in another forum, but I was looking into the agpgart.o thing and found this in /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h-- "#error Invalid kernel header included in userspace"

Last edited by fearofcarpet; 05-02-03 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-02-03, 12:42 PM   #6
fearofcarpet

Default Fixed it...

Clean reinstall of RH9 fixed the problem.
Old 05-03-03, 12:45 AM   #7
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Sorry it came to that. It looks like you needed to install the kernel header RPMs. I assume in your new installation, you enabled all the 'development' packages, correct? If so, I believe this is what solved your problem.
Old 05-05-03, 02:43 PM   #8
fearofcarpet

Actaully, after dealing with Windows, I find Linux clean installs to be no trouble.

I did in fact have the kernel headers installed before. I even uninstalled/reinstalled the RPM packages... Something was messed up though, because my computer was telling the RedHat Network it wanted i386 packages, but after the reinstall (where athlon packages were installed from the get go) it requested the correct architecture.

At any rate, thanks for everyone's input, my new GF4 is running famously.