Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-08, 07:53 AM   #1
markkendall

Default 169.12 'Blank' screen after deleting/recreating opengl window and context

I've been chasing my tail for some time trying to understand why the opengl video rendering code produces blank screens in Mythtv when using the 169.xxx series of drivers. The symptons are that playback will work once and then all subsequent attempts produce a blank screen - no errors are produced and mythtv thinks everything is fine.

I've managed to reproduce the issue with a small glx test app (code attached - only small changes from the original taken from the NeHe opengl tutorials - lesson 1!).

When run this will draw a white quad in a gl window. Pressing F1 deletes the entire opengl context/window etc and recreates it. First press works fine, second press results in a blank window, third press works again, fourth press blank window again etc. The 'symptoms' are consistent with how the mythtv code is operating.

Bug report and sample code attached. Issue is exactly the same with all 169 series drivers and when using a 7600gs instead of an 8800GT.

Thanks and regards

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: zip bugreport_and_code.zip (38.3 KB, 253 views)
markkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 03:34 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 169.12 'Blank' screen after deleting/recreating opengl window and context

Hi markkendall, sorry for the slow reply. Your test programs works fine for me. Does the problem still reproduce with 173.08?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:47 PM   #3
markkendall

Default Re: 169.12 'Blank' screen after deleting/recreating opengl window and context

AaronP

Thanks for the response. I can confirm the test code works fine with the driver updated to 173.08 - but mythtv still isn't playing!

GIven the test code uses the GLX1.2 api/calls, this prompted me to test mythtv by forcing it to use GLX 1.2 (it uses GLX1.3 when available) and it works fine then.

So, some updated test code attached that uses the GLX1.3 calls to create a window and this again fails for me with 173.08 on the 8800GT (first window fine, subsequent deletions/creations lead to a blank window). On a different machine with an FX5200 and 100.14.19 this works fine.

Shout if you need more details or an updated bug report.

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip version2.zip (3.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 04-27-08, 05:54 AM   #4
managementboy

I can confirm this issue. I just bought an 8600GT running mythbuntu 8.

I open one recording... everything nice... exit, open again, only sound, screen black

my mythfrontend information
MythTV Version : 16838
MythTV Branch : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live
managementboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 02:55 PM   #5
mocharhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkendall
GIven the test code uses the GLX1.2 api/calls, this prompted me to test mythtv by forcing it to use GLX 1.2 (it uses GLX1.3 when available) and it works fine then.
Hello, I have exactly the same problem with MythTV under Ubuntu Hardy (nvidia 169.12) with a 7600GS. I'm using a compiled from source version of 0.21-fixes branch.

Until nvidia can fix this problem, how did you force MythTV to use GLX 1.2?? I'd really appreciate to know. Thanks!
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 09:29 AM   #6
markkendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharhw
Hello, I have exactly the same problem with MythTV under Ubuntu Hardy (nvidia 169.12) with a 7600GS. I'm using a compiled from source version of 0.21-fixes branch.

Until nvidia can fix this problem, how did you force MythTV to use GLX 1.2?? I'd really appreciate to know. Thanks!
Apologies for the delay. Patch attached (pretty straightforward).

AaronP - any update on this? I'd appreciate a response - even it's along the lines of "your code is rubbish - fix the glaringly obvious mistake"

Regards

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: txt glx13.txt (416 Bytes, 334 views)
Old 05-15-08, 11:30 AM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Sorry I forgot to post an update. I reproduced the problem with the "version 2" code you attached, looked at the code and didn't see anything obviously wrong, and then got swamped with other work. I'll look at it a bit more today and get a bug filed.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 02:59 PM   #8
mocharhw

Thanks for the Myth patch, I'll try it later!

EDIT: I tried your patch and it doesn't work all the time. Specifically I still get a black screen with audio when I change from my DVB card to a channel on my PVR-250. Changing channels within the DVB channels is ok though. I hope Myth or Nvidia fixes this soon, OpenGL rendering is the only way I can do picture controls.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-08, 09:03 AM   #9
managementboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharhw
Thanks for the Myth patch, I'll try it later!

EDIT: I tried your patch and it doesn't work all the time. Specifically I still get a black screen with audio when I change from my DVB card to a channel on my PVR-250. Changing channels within the DVB channels is ok though. I hope Myth or Nvidia fixes this soon, OpenGL rendering is the only way I can do picture controls.
any status update? I am a little frustrated... tried the latest beta driver from nvidia but no fix.
Old 05-26-08, 05:03 AM   #10
petty123

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkendall
Apologies for the delay. Patch attached (pretty straightforward).

AaronP - any update on this? I'd appreciate a response - even it's along the lines of "your code is rubbish - fix the glaringly obvious mistake"

Regards

Mark
Sorry markkendall, your patch did not work at all in my system.

Same black screen as before. However when I switch the frontend from opengl to a standard renderer everything goes back to normal.

This bug may look trivial...however this little stupid bug makes opengl absolutely useless.

By rights, this bug deserves a higher priority!
petty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 10:58 AM   #11
oxyis

I will second that. I have the same problem with a 8600 GT, and the patch didn't work at all.
oxyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 10:08 AM   #12
managementboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyis
I will second that. I have the same problem with a 8600 GT, and the patch didn't work at all.
mine is a 8600 GT, too.

the sad thing for nvidia is that just yesterday I got asked my a friend what card to buy for a MythTV system and I had to say "not a 8000 series nvidia"...