Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-08, 07:42 AM   #49
managementboy

Default Re: 169.12 'Blank' screen after deleting/recreating opengl window and context

could there be a problem with a screen resolution of 960x544? or when the frontend is on a second screen running via twinview?

It only crashes on my small screen... on my 1600 screen its very stable
managementboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 04:18 AM   #50
markkendall

Default Re: 169.12 'Blank' screen after deleting/recreating opengl window and context

Quote:
Originally Posted by managementboy View Post
could there be a problem with a screen resolution of 960x544? or when the frontend is on a second screen running via twinview?
I'll see if I can test out that resolution on one of my displays, but I can't think of any particular reason why that resolution should cause difficulties.

If you are running a second screen, is there something running on it at the same time? Is 960x544 always the 'first' screen?

Regards

Mark
markkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 09:14 AM   #51
managementboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkendall View Post
I'll see if I can test out that resolution on one of my displays, but I can't think of any particular reason why that resolution should cause difficulties.

If you are running a second screen, is there something running on it at the same time? Is 960x544 always the 'first' screen?

Regards

Mark
Thanks, 960x544 is always the second screen. It has a KDE desktop, with nothing on it. Most of the time we watch myhtv using the first screen at 1600x1050 which is stable.
Old 08-06-08, 07:55 AM   #52
managementboy

just for the sake of keeping the information flowing. Patches 25 and 26 apply and work fine with 0.21-fixes
Old 08-19-08, 03:17 AM   #53
managementboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkendall View Post

Regards

Mark
Hi Mark, the full patch has fixed this issue. Could your patches be applied to mainline 0.21-fixes?
Old 08-29-08, 12:48 AM   #54
mocharhw

Can someone give me a hand please? I downloaded the "fixes 1to26" patch and attempted to apply it to 0.21 fixes 17706 (circa July 5) and a lot of the hunks failed. The "fixes 1to24" patch applied without problem however. Is the 1to26 patch only for more recent 0.21 fixes checkouts? What do patches 25 and 26 provide?

Also, I'm a little confused, if I run the current stable nvidia 173.14.12, do I still need this patch to correct the issue of the video going blank when using OpenGL rendering? According to the nvidia driver page 173.14.12 "Fixed a problem with missing rendering in OpenGL Workstation Overlays"

Thanks.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 10:06 AM   #55
managementboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharhw View Post
Can someone give me a hand please? I downloaded the "fixes 1to26" patch and attempted to apply it to 0.21 fixes 17706 (circa July 5) and a lot of the hunks failed. The "fixes 1to24" patch applied without problem however. Is the 1to26 patch only for more recent 0.21 fixes checkouts? What do patches 25 and 26 provide?

Also, I'm a little confused, if I run the current stable nvidia 173.14.12, do I still need this patch to correct the issue of the video going blank when using OpenGL rendering? According to the nvidia driver page 173.14.12 "Fixed a problem with missing rendering in OpenGL Workstation Overlays"

Thanks.
Applies perfectly to 18161, please upgrade.

you need at least a 17X driver, with me it only works with 177 drivers.

Check out http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/ to see what each patch does, but 25-26 fixed a lot of stability problems.
Old 08-29-08, 02:29 PM   #56
mocharhw

Quote:

you need at least a 17X driver, with me it only works with 177 drivers.

Check out http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/ to see what each patch does, but 25-26 fixed a lot of stability problems.
Mark,

Thanks very much. I'll do a fresh pull later, apply your "1to26" patch, and let you know what happens. FYI, I upgraded to the latest stable 173.14.12 and with your "1to23" patch on SVN 17706 the OpenGL rendering blank screen problem is completely gone! Thank you very much for this!

Old 08-30-08, 04:57 AM   #57
mocharhw

Quote:
Yep, confirmed. Thanks.
Old 09-18-08, 10:01 PM   #58
markkendall

If anyone is still reading (I've been away/busy for a while), I've just checked out 177.70 and it looks like the glx1.3 issue is still there (which is disappointing to say the least).

I've also just posted patch #27 for mythtv but it's only a small fix when using CPU based bobdeint, so probably not worth bothering with.

Cheers

Mark

http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall
markkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 10:05 AM   #59
mocharhw

I'm still reading. I've been using you patches for about 3-4 weeks and I have to say that my Myth has never been more stable or enjoyable. Thank you very much for your work. I've recommended this thread to numerous friends.
Old 10-20-08, 12:11 AM   #60
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Very impressive work.. Just about to patch my mythtv installation as it exhibits this problem...

What display profile do you use in MythTV ?
I'm assuming you created your own; interested to know what deinterlacer and renderer you found to work best.

Edit: Just patched on ubuntu using the method mentioned earlier. Still watching anything a 2nd time anything will result in a blank screen.
Someone mentioned a glx13.patch, which I assume forces the use of OpenGL 1.2, where is it ? is it included in the 1-27 patch ?

Edit: Okay... silly me, my system was still using the old library. Removed them and it now works fine...
Ok..
I've made a little compilation on what works best for me:

The CPU usage figure is how much CPU mythfrontend is using
I was watching a 1080i MPEG2 video : news with information text scrolling at the bottom. My aim was to have smooth video with perfect scrolling text.

System used: Intel E8500 process (dual-core 3.16GHz) with a discrete nvidia 9400GT.
Myth is set to use 2 core for decoding video.

LinearBlend (HW): 27% CPU, 82.2% idle, weird pixels are on during scrolling on text, not too smooth
OneField (HW): 24%, 86.9% idle, rather smooth but it's obvious lines are missing
Kernel (HW): 27%, 83% idle, no obvious interlacing artefacts, but text scrolling not perfectly smooth
Bob(X2, HW): 42% CPU, 76% idle, smother than kernel but obivious interlacing artefacts (odd line more displaced than even on scrolling text)
LinearBlend(2X,HW): 56% CPU, 72.2% idle, very smooth scrolling text, but weird pixels in text
One Field(2x, HW): 50%, 74.5% idle, smooth scroll, but like OneField(HW), lines are missing, also like linearblend, some pixels in scrolled text
Kernel(2x, HW): 69% , 63% idle, smooth text, no obvious interlace artefacts ; slight flickering
After about 1 minute or so, CPU will jump to 116% usage for mythfrontend, 40% idle
If using one core only for decoding, usage is 116% and 33.8% idle

Interlaced (2X,HW), 38%, 81.2% idle, smooth text, interlacing artefacts
Yadif(2x, HW): 119%, 43.8% idle, lost frames seems to be a video at 3 frames/s at best. unwatchable
Yadif(hw): 114% CPU, 44% idle, like Yadif(2x,hw)

Linear Blend: 35% CPU, 81% idle. Text not perfectly smooth just okay slighly jerky
Kernel: 31%, 84% idle, similar to linearblend, less jerky but slight blur on scrolling text
Greedy High Motion: 45% CPU, 75% idle, scroll slightly jerky
Greedy High Motion(2x): 112%, 37% idle, very good, smooth, not interlace artefacts
Yadif: 48%, 65% idle, no interlace artefacts, text slightly jerky (usage jumps a lot to 75%)
Yadif(2x): 110% , 44% idle: skipping frames, unwatchable

None: 28%, 86% idle, smooth text, obvious interlace artefacts as expected

For all the opengl deinterlacer, when opening the video I get errors like:
2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Failed to approve 'opengldoubleratekerneldeint' deinterlacer
2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Couldn't load deinterlace filter

But it makes a difference depending on the deinterlacer I use, so I expect that despite that message the deinterlacer starts okay.

As a comparison, XVVideo rendering: Greedy High Motion (2x): 55%CPU, X: 53% CPU, 44% idle. Great video just like with OpenGL.

So at that stage, I can't say I notice much improvement using OpenGL over XVideo. If I use OpenGL then the CPU usage of X.org is extremely small (always around 1-2%) but then mythfrontend uses much more, and the IDLE figure are the same anyway.

So, the best results I've had on my system are with OpenGL / Kernel (2x,hw), OpenGL / Greedy Highmotion (2x) and XVideo / Greedy High Motion (2X)

Note that I've *never* been able to use Yadif 2X on any of the PC I tried, no matter the video card... Has anyone ever got it working for them ?

Edit2: Opengl/Greedy High motion (2x) doesn't seem to work properly with a 1280 x 720 MPEG2 source, lots of dropped frame.

So really, the best combination is OpenGL/Kernel(2X,HW)
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote