Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-08, 08:30 AM   #241
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Assassin's Creed Feedback Thread

I get the same results, DX9 runs about 5-10fps faster at the same settings. I still play in DX10 though, because it looks better.

I don't think there's a problem with your rig or anything, it's just a demanding game, and more demanding in DX10 (no matter what they said). Tweakguides' Koroush did report that in Vista the game runs faster in DX10 though, so maybe we both have a problem.

I run the game in 1680x1050 with settings maxed except multisampling at 2/3 and level detail at 3/4 on an 8800GT 512MB, 4GB ram, and a worse processor than yours.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 09:29 AM   #242
ASUSEN7900GTX

Only thing i havenŽr touched in the in game settings is multisampling as it goes syrup on me.

so in NV CP i have 16xAF supersampling, trilinear, high quality

here is benchemark

Frames5032
Time (ms) 105649
Min 31
Avg 47.629
Max 78

this is the first parts of the game as i go damaskus iŽll bench more

i might try multisampling 3/3
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 09:42 AM   #243
Nza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero
I get the same results, DX9 runs about 5-10fps faster at the same settings. I still play in DX10 though, because it looks better.

I don't think there's a problem with your rig or anything, it's just a demanding game, and more demanding in DX10 (no matter what they said). Tweakguides' Koroush did report that in Vista the game runs faster in DX10 though, so maybe we both have a problem.

I run the game in 1680x1050 with settings maxed except multisampling at 2/3 and level detail at 3/4 on an 8800GT 512MB, 4GB ram, and a worse processor than yours.
Is DX10 windowed for you too? i.e. do you have to alt+enter each time you start it up?

I'll have another 2GB to add in this coming week some time, maybe that will help a little, but it obviously won't help the DX10 issue per se.

I've read that DX10 hardware is still not quite powerful enough yet to truely take advantage of its features, so maybe the reasonably mid range 8800GTS 320MB just isn't meant to run it great? wouldn't be the first time a "feature" ends up being a issue in an early card (I recall similar problems with T&L when it first came about I think).
Nza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 02:26 PM   #244
Vasot02
Crazy Greek guy

Meh DX10 is a waste of time for me
Little better graphics with a huge loss of performance

No thanks i will stick with Dx9

And anyway this game is pretty boring...
The THIEF series was way better

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch21
I want to know if they updated the AI any, cause it was lacking.
Unfortunately its almost the same...
Old 04-21-08, 02:20 AM   #245
MaXThReAT
GTX to the MaX

It's your step. Hit towards the enemy and imidiatly click.
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!
"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 04:58 AM   #246
wysiwyg

i finished the game last night

i hated it when i first got it as the camera was a bit annoying and the game is repetetive. but stick with it as i found the story very deep.

lots of the game is based on reality in the 1100's and the cities are how they would have looked accurately back then
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 06:07 AM   #247
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasot02
Meh DX10 is a waste of time for me
Little better graphics with a huge loss of performance

No thanks i will stick with Dx9
The performance difference doesn't bother me so much. The reason I'm sticking with DX9 is because the shadows are glitchy in DX10 and I can't force supersampling, which makes a pretty big difference in IQ.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 06:08 AM   #248
Nza

I did a fraps run just then. While it's hard to do a deadly accurate comparison in fraps, I more or less did the exact same 60 second run from one point to another, and...

DX9
min 31
max 71
avg 46.37

DX10
min 23
max 39
avg 30.467

Yikes. I knew DX10 was slower, but 16fps? And I don't even think it looks much better if any better at all:

DX9

DX10

I guess the DX10 scene does look more "realistic" in that the castle doesn't look like it's made out of copper like the DX9 shot does, but for 16fps? No way. BTW, is this something just wrong with AC or are all DX10 games so far like this performance wise? or, better yet, anyone here see an actual performance gain with AC DX10? Would be interesting to know what card would achieve that.

(Also, note the banner's graphic corruption in the DX10 shot, lol. Poor DX10 ).

Old 04-21-08, 07:49 AM   #249
wysiwyg

I highly recommend people read up on the net about the knights templar, the assassins brotherhood, the cities Acre, Damascus, Jerusalem as well as the meaning of the symbols at the end of the game

Very interesting and fascinating and much of assassins creed is factual like the templars, the layout of the cities, the brotherhood and the people you assassinate are based on real people who were assassinated in the 1100’s

edit:

knights templar doc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQGvpZ2AqOo
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 08:48 AM   #250
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Poor DX10 ).
While it runs slower and does have some shadow corruption, the lighting and shadows look better in DX10... it's an added feature with a performance cost, just like it was in BioShock with the cooler water and Crysis with the cooler light rays. Probably not worth the performance cost but cool if your system can handle it.

I don't see why people attack DX10 for slower performance... it's not like DX9 was faster than DX8. I agree we're not seeing huge visual improvement like we did then, but that's simply consoles holding us back (no offense to consoles intended, just a true statement).
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 09:17 AM   #251
Nza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero
While it runs slower and does have some shadow corruption, the lighting and shadows look better in DX10... it's an added feature with a performance cost, just like it was in BioShock with the cooler water and Crysis with the cooler light rays. Probably not worth the performance cost but cool if your system can handle it.

I don't see why people attack DX10 for slower performance... it's not like DX9 was faster than DX8. I agree we're not seeing huge visual improvement like we did then, but that's simply consoles holding us back (no offense to consoles intended, just a true statement).
Ah, yes, but game developers and Microsoft weren't touting performance gains WITH quality increases with DX9 like they were DX10. Remember when Crytek said Crysis would run faster and look better on DX10? Remember when article upon article raved how DX10 was more efficient, and at the very LEAST we'd have better image quality at the same performance?

It has been a major let down. Cool for those whose system can tame it, but it's almost amazing PC gaming is still functioning after the mess Vista and DX10 has been (even though I actually happen to really like Vista, just moving over this past weekend).

Also, whilst my card isn't top end, it'd be nice to be able to actually run DX10 on it with acceptable performance while we're still in the first era of DX10 games, although I'm not really sure who to blame for that. At the very least I think expecting it to run DX10 with some visual improvements while retaining the same DX9 performance wasn't too much to ask given the promises handed out before hand.
Old 04-21-08, 09:23 AM   #252
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I highly recommend people read up on the net about the knights templar, the assassins brotherhood, the cities Acre, Damascus, Jerusalem as well as the meaning of the symbols at the end of the game
Screw that. Like I want a history lesson when playing a game. I just want a game to be fun as heck; which this game delivers for about 3 hours then gets old.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote