Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-08, 12:38 AM   #61
Gregor A.

Default Re: [173.08]2D is very slow

The same here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollebull View Post
...and I don't think it's just a "8400M GS"-problem, more like a 8xxx-problem, so I think there are a lot of users who would like some kind of statement from nvidia, I for one.
The problem is, NVIDIA ignores the problem.
And we didn't have any deadline.

Maybe the reputation of NVIDIA is to good !!

Please write your comments to hardware test magazines !
Please write you comments to PC Manufacturer with Linux support, like Dell.com

I think we need more public attention.

Some pubic tests are better than this crying here.

Directly comparisons between NVIDIA, ATI, INTEL (future) for 2D and 3D
Gregor A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 01:58 AM   #62
kriko
openSuSE11

Have anyone done a comparison between other graphics card?
I thought my 7600GT was ok in terms of 2d speed - no complains, but I got another cheap computer with some intel integrated graphics - and boy I was wrong!
Scrolling in eclipes, well actually everywhere is so much faster and nicer.
I have an old radeon at home (9250 I think) - will try that as well (opensource drivers should be mature by now).
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 03:50 AM   #63
ollebull

I have tried a computer with an old radeon card (5-7 years old, don't know the name of the card) using the "old" open source driver, and even that was performing better in 2D then any nvidia card I have tried so far (under Linux).

I have for a long time recommended people that are buying new hardware to use with GNU/Linux systems to buy nvidia cards, because of their easy to use and great driver. But the last month have really changed my mind about this.

Why is nvidia ignoring the problem, it seems that it have existed for quite a while... Is it not fixable, is nvidia cards generally lower performing in 2D then ATI, or does they want to give advantage for windows users (I don't notice this in windows)?

Is there any good benchmarking programs to measure 2D performance? I have so far just measured the difference between different graphic cards with my eyes and by feeling, I don't have any numbers to show.
ollebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 04:49 AM   #64
pawels133

Quote:

Why is nvidia ignoring the problem, it seems that it have existed for quite a while... Is it not fixable, is nvidia cards generally lower performing in 2D then ATI, or does they want to give advantage for windows users (I don't notice this in windows)?
I have the same feeling! It concern macos too, because windows and even macos nvidia drivers are much better than Linux ones!
Old 06-10-08, 03:32 PM   #65
jordimarch

Quote:
Is there any good benchmarking programs to measure 2D performance?
I've always benchmarked 2D with x11perf + Xmark. Xi Graphics (Accelerated X / Summit) do this test to throw away their results, and personally, Xi Graphics do the best all around graphic driver in the world (shame they cannot do an Nvidia driver )

So, command line:
x11perf -display :0 -v1.3 -rop GXcopy GXxor -all

Don't remember quite well... maybe it has changed a little bit since I did my tests...
(it takes 3-4 hours...)

Jordi
--
http://www.devilmaster.org
jordimarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 04:41 PM   #66
kriko
openSuSE11

3-4 hours? Isn't something like for 5 minutes so you can compare between cards?
Old 06-10-08, 05:40 PM   #67
logan

-all runs everything, maybe you could just do individual tests like -putimage500 or something. I'm not sure what's ideal for this.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 03:18 AM   #68
Linuxhippy

Although I think x11perf is a good tool to check wether everything is properly set up and working correctly, I think its not a really good benchmark.

Todays applications use much more than X11-Core drawing (e.g. XRender stuff is only tested minimal with x11perf) and have complex behaviour patterns which e.g. make it really hard for the driver to decide where to put its pixmaps.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-08, 03:21 AM   #69
kriko
openSuSE11

So we need a tool that will test painting / animation of antialiased fonts in different elements (buttons, menus), etc...
I wonder if such thing already exists.
Old 06-11-08, 05:56 AM   #70
burli

Hi
I'm using Xubuntu 8.04, 7900GS and the 169.12 Driver Version. The desktop performance could be better, but it's ok.

I'm also using the Linux version of the Eagle Layout Editor (Electonic CAD). The 2d performace is really weak. Smooth zooming is impossible. It takes up to 1 second to redraw the screen. The same software on my Laptop with Intel GMA950 and EXA is fast and smooth

I don't want to buy an new GFX Card or switch back to Windows just becaus of a buggy driver, so i hope Nvidia will fix this asap or (the better solution) makes an open source driver like ATI and Intel
burli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 06:34 AM   #71
ollebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by burli View Post
Hi
I'm using Xubuntu 8.04, 7900GS and the 169.12 Driver Version. The desktop performance could be better, but it's ok.

I'm also using the Linux version of the Eagle Layout Editor (Electonic CAD). The 2d performace is really weak. Smooth zooming is impossible. It takes up to 1 second to redraw the screen. The same software on my Laptop with Intel GMA950 and EXA is fast and smooth

I don't want to buy an new GFX Card or switch back to Windows just becaus of a buggy driver, so i hope Nvidia will fix this asap or (the better solution) makes an open source driver like ATI and Intel
I have actually used the same program (Eagle) and I recognize your problem. With all of the nvidia cards I have used Eagle is redrawing painfully slow (under Linux, but real fast under Windows). I though that had something to do with the program it self, a bad Linux port. But if you have got good performance with a Intel card under Linux I guess it is the nvidia driver that is the problem again?

AaronP or any nvidia expert do you know why is it such a big difference between Windows and Linux performance? 2D drawing sounds like quite basic functionality. Of course I'm not an expert in the subject so I don't know. But I would be interested in some explanation of what makes it so hard under Linux though.
ollebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 06:34 AM   #72
burli

Here is an addon information.

My old AMD Duron 1300 with 512MB Ram and Riva TNT2 has a similar (or a little bit better) drawing performance with Eagle. That's really disappointing
burli is offline   Reply With Quote