|04-11-08, 02:10 PM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2008
ASUS K8V-X SE X Bombs on AGP Init - Work-Around Found
Upgrading to the 64-bit Ubuntu distribution resolved this issue without any fuss. I hope this thread can help someone find this answer more quickly than I did.
Again, thank you to those who read this.
When GDM starts at boot I get a garbled screen of black-and-white block characters that flash, however I can still switch to a VT. When I disabled GDM and manually did startx -- -logverbose 6, my system immediately hard-locked and stopped pinging.
It appears that it is an issue with AGP. From dmesg:
[ 66.893094] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0. [ 66.893263] agpgart: Device is in legacy mode, falling back to 2.x [ 66.893395] agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode [ 66.893588] agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode [ 67.555926] NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 6, PE0000 1ffc ffffffff 00000000 ffffffff 00000000
Status: Disabled AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file for additional information on this problem.
I am running Ubuntu 7.10 and have tried the Ubuntu-supplied driver package (9639) as well as the latest driver package from the nVidia site, as well as a staggering array of BIOS options without success. I have an ASUS K8V-X SE motherboard with the latest BIOS (1501), an AMD Athilon64 2000+, and a GeForce 3 TI 500.
Currently I have the nVidia drivers up and running, but the performance is kinda poor as one might expect. Can anyone tell me what's going on with the AGP?
Attached is the bug report log after starting GDM with the distro-supplied 9639 package. As stated previously startx -- -logverbose 6 results in immediate hard-lock, so that is not present.
I had read that blacklisting both AGP kernel modules would result in the NvAGP taking over, however I just tried it and this did not happen.
Contents of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-agp:
blacklist amd64_agp blacklist agpgart
agpgart 35016 1 nvidia
I just tried setting "NvAGP" in my xorg.conf file to 3, that did not work. Neither did setting it to 1.
Apparently my Google-Fu is weak. Turns out to be a known issue with this motherboard.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311772&page=2 (bottom of page)
I'll try using the 64-bit distro as suggested in the first link and see how it goes. Thanks to those who have read this.
Last edited by qbradq; 04-12-08 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Work-Around Found
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|What You Can Expect From GeForce GRID||News||Latest Tech And Game Headlines||0||06-04-12 05:20 PM|
|Nvidia GeForce 301.42 WHQL drivers||DSC||NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers||5||05-29-12 11:12 PM|
|New GPU from Nvidia Announced Today, the GeForce GTX 670||News||Latest Tech And Game Headlines||0||05-10-12 02:50 PM|
|Gainward Unleashes the Sexy GeForce GTX 670 Phantom Graphics Card, Also launches the||News||Latest Tech And Game Headlines||0||05-10-12 10:28 AM|