Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-08, 11:48 PM   #13
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Default Re: Moving from single to dual core - Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presle r
I have the CPU Driver already to go, and I guess I won't bother with the Optimizer thing then.
The Dual Core Optimizer was the CPU driver thing I was talking about. It really improves multi core tasks.

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 03:35 PM   #14
mojoman0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
Thanks for the info guys. All my hardware arrived and I am installing Windows now. I have the CPU Driver already to go, and I guess I won't bother with the Optimizer thing then.

So far the only problem has been that my old IDE drive (slave) doesn't work, but the DVDR drive (master) does on the same ribbon. No biggie though, I'll figure that one out later. MY new SATA drive is working.
Yea make sure the HD jumper is on master and the dvd jumper to slave. Did this recently on a friends computer and both were found. GL
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 01:26 AM   #15
boow

I thought the amd cpu driver was for cool n quiet and the dualcore optimizer was for timing problems some apps and games have with dual core procs.
boow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 02:52 PM   #16
Elvin Presler

boow, I think you are correct.

All up and running. Performace is almost 3 times what it was with my Athlon 64 4000, Geforce 7800GS. F.E.A.R at 1680x1050, High settings:

Before: FEAR v1.08 | Athlon 64 4000+ | Geforce 7800GS AGP 256 meg
Frames: 2341 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 39.017 - Min: 2 - Max: 144

After: FEAR v1.08 | Athlon 64 X2 5400 | Geforce 9600GT PCIE-2 512 meg
Frames: 6001 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 100.017 - Min: 68 - Max: 178

Now that I have it all installed and a backup image of my C:\ drive, I'll play around with the X2 CPU Optimizer thing now too. I have a few kinks to work out. My DDR2 800 is supposed to be 4-4-4-12 but is auto-set something like 5-5-5-16 anf my SATA 3.0 is not as fast as I would have expected. Sandra show HDD SMART enabled, but it is off in the BIOS.

As for the Slave/Master thing...doesn't the master have to be at the end of the ribbon and the slave in the middle (or was that just some rare cable select thing I got stuck in my head?)? If so, I can't do it due to the distance between them in my rather large Antec case. I don't really need the drive in there anyway. I was just going to slap it in for backup, but I can just make a partition for that on my new drive.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 04:09 AM   #17
Elvin Presler

That Dual Core Optimizer causes BSOD's when booting up like mad. IRQ Not Less or Equal To. Well, I hope it works well without it.
Old 04-18-08, 04:37 AM   #18
bu1basaur

I wasn't sure what OS you were using, but there's a hotfix for Windows XP. There's supposed to be a problem with XP not utilizing both cores or causing BSODs, but I'm not sure b/c I never had those problems. As of right now, I'm using the Dual Core Optimizer and I really don't see any difference, but it feels good knowing there can be
bu1basaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 06:41 AM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
That Dual Core Optimizer causes BSOD's when booting up like mad. IRQ Not Less or Equal To. Well, I hope it works well without it.
That link I provided at the beginning of the thread covers exactly how to install the drivers/optimizer and ensure they are working properly.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=81429
Old 04-20-08, 02:36 PM   #20
Elvin Presler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
That link I provided at the beginning of the thread covers exactly how to install the drivers/optimizer and ensure they are working properly.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=81429
Thanks, but I tried that, to the letter and the AMD Optimizer still causes BSODs. Tried it with and without the MS Hotfix, same result. Hopefully, I won't need it.