Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-08, 02:10 PM   #1
lwnexgen

Default Issues reinstalling after RHEL 3 kernel update

Hey Guys-

I've searched around various forums and can't seem to find an answer to what I'm trying to do.

A couple of weeks ago one of the people in my lab decided to install a bunch of updates on her workstation without letting me know; one of them being a kernel update to 2.4.21-53. This necessitated a reinstallation of the NVIDIA drivers, so I did the usual, downloading and running 169.12. For some reason, after reboot, X can't load with the nvidia drivers. It'll work if the comp is rebooted and the config is redone with VESA enabled, but not with the nvidia drivers.

I'd just completely update the machine, but as it has some critical data on it I'd rather not mess around with anything, and this seems to be something shat should relatively easy to fix.

I've attached the kernel log, XFree86 log, and the XF86Config file in a zip, if anyone would mind taking a look at it.

Here is the offending part of the XFree86 log (or when it fails, anyway):

Code:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:5:0:0. 
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     additional information.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
Thanks for any help anyone can give me, this is really driving me nuts!
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs.zip (44.7 KB, 105 views)
lwnexgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 02:55 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Issues reinstalling after RHEL 3 kernel update

Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 169.12 Thu Feb 14 17
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module i2c-core
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: Your Linux 2.4 kernel was configured to include modular
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: support for the Linux/i2c infrastructure, but the NVIDIA
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: Linux graphics driver was unable to locate and load the
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: i2c-core.o kernel module.
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM:
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: If you wish to take advantage of the NVIDIA driver's i2c
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: support feature, please make sure the Linux/i2c kernel
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: modules are installed correctly.
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: pmd not present for addr 0xf58f2000
Apr 15 13:35:14 tron kernel: NVRM: pmd not present for addr 0xf58f3000
(...)
Apr 15 13:35:26 tron kernel: NVRM: vmap() failed to map pages!
Apr 15 13:35:27 tron kernel: NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x54:0x0:1621)
Apr 15 13:35:27 tron kernel: NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
These error messages suggest that the kernel header files you built against don't match the running kernel (it looks like the configurations disagree about PAE). Please make sure you have the correct kernel-devel package installed.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 12:30 PM   #3
lwnexgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
These error messages suggest that the kernel header files you built against don't match the running kernel (it looks like the configurations disagree about PAE). Please make sure you have the correct kernel-devel package installed.
Alright, thanks for the suggestion. How exactly would I go about updating/checking what kernel-devel package I have installed from the command line? I'm not too familiar with how RPM works (most of my linux experience is Debian-based).

Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-16-08, 02:27 PM   #4
Lethe

rpm -qa | grep -i kernel

should do.

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 02:53 PM   #5
lwnexgen

When i do the grep command that Nick mentioned, nothing comes up for kernel-devel. There's a link for kernel-utils, is that what I'm after?

I tried updating both the current kernel and the kernel-utils, and both were already at their highest level.

Do I still need to worry about the kernel-devel package, or is my problem something else?

Thanks
Old 04-18-08, 12:59 PM   #6
lwnexgen

Also, since apparently kernel-devel isn't installed, how would I go about installing a version for the right kernel?

I can find kernel-devel RPMs for 2.6.x kernels, but nothing for 2.4.x.

Thanks
Old 04-18-08, 05:37 PM   #7
lwnexgen

Alright, I've checked around and it seems that the RHEL 3 equivalent to kernel-devel is kernel-source.

On the machine in question the kernel-source version matches the running kernel version, and still the drivers will not boot.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Edit - I've included the log files from the installer, it looks like errors in the compiling stage but I'm not sure; I'd think that the installer would throw an error and not complete if it reached anything but I could be wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs2.zip (7.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 04-19-08, 02:52 AM   #8
Lethe

Ummm, strange. The driver builds, but with funny warnings about redefined headers. That could make the driver build OK, but fail to work, I guess.

Also error message in Xfree log doesn't say a lot...

Try an older, like Try an older driver, like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...14.19-pkg1.run

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-08, 12:08 PM   #9
lwnexgen

Alright, I figured out what was going on. Apparently, the kernel I was running in was 2.4.21-53.ELsmp, which didn't have a source package that I could find. By booting into 2.4.21-53.EL, I was able to install the correct source package, which the installer could then use to compile the right kernel-compatible drivers for 2.4.21-53.EL.

Apparently, the kernel-devel packages are only necessary for kernel 2.6 packages; the extra headers they contain are not necessary or are already included in the kernel-source package in any kernel previous to 2.6
Old 04-21-08, 12:40 PM   #10
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Traditionally, distributions provided a subset of the configured kernel source tree for the purpose of building external kernel modules; these files were usually packaged as kernel-headers packages. As of Linux 2.6, the packages are typically called kernel-devel and provide a different subset of the kernel source trees. The motivation is the same, though.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote