Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-03, 10:50 AM   #1
sbrady

Post GLXBadRenderRequest error with remote client

When I run /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/atlantis (and several others) over the network, I get the following:
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

X error in atlantis:
X Error of failed request: GLXBadRenderRequest
Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 1 (X_GLXRender)
Serial number of failed request: 126
Current serial number in output stream: 127

A window appears momentarily, and is then destroyed. We're using XFree86 4.2.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.0-8 with Red Hat 7.3) and version 4191 of the driver, built from source for Red Hat's 2.4.18-24.7.x kernel release. Everything seems to work fine locally.

I've noticed a few people having similar issues, due to conflicting gl libraries locally, but I'm running over the network and I don't think that it makes sense to run NVidia's drivers on the machine that's running the client. Does anyone have any idea how this could be resolved?

Many thanks.
sbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-03, 11:29 AM   #2
bwkaz

Default Re: GLXBadRenderRequest error with remote client

Quote:
Originally posted by sbrady
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
You are doing something like an xhost +remote_host_name before starting up the program, right? And you are doing something similar to export DISPLAY=xserver_ip_address:0.0, right?

Dumb questions maybe, but you didn't say...

When you say "the machine that's running the client", you mean the machine whose CPU the client is primarily using (the one you started the screensaver from), not the machine whose graphics card it's using, right? You may not need the drivers over there, but I don't know for sure. It depends on whether the screensaver uses libGL or the X server does -- and I think it's the client that uses it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-03, 03:18 PM   #3
sbrady

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
You are doing something like an xhost +remote_host_name before starting up the program, right? And you are doing something similar to export DISPLAY=xserver_ip_address:0.0, right?

Dumb questions maybe, but you didn't say...
No, that's not at all dumb. I've probably missed out quite a bit of important information, which I'd be happy to provide (although I'll have to do this tomorrow, since I don't have access to the machine right now). BTW, I've noticed one other person with what looks like a similar problem. (GLXBadRenderRequest remote display SGI or SUN). But yes, I had done this, and I got the same result with or without setting DISPLAY and exporting it. Gears and sproingies will run on the remote machine and appear to make use of the hardware acceleration on the local machine.
Quote:
When you say "the machine that's running the client", you mean the machine whose CPU the client is primarily using (the one you started the screensaver from), not the machine whose graphics card it's using, right? You may not need the drivers over there, but I don't know for sure. It depends on whether the screensaver uses libGL or the X server does -- and I think it's the client that uses it.
Yes; when I said "the machine that's running the client", I did indeed mean the machine that was running the screensaver, and not the one that's running the X server.

I noticed that similar errors when running locally are caused by existing GL libs which would conflict with NVidia's, and I'm wondering whether this is related. I'm not sure, but I think the client uses libGL, even for GLX. What's confusing is that when I run the client on the same remote machine, but display it on another local machine that uses the Xfree driver rather than NVidia's, I don't get this error. It's a little slow of course, but I don't think it's much slower than running the screensaver locally.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited by sbrady; 02-13-03 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-14-03, 11:54 AM   #4
mvogt

Hello,

I have the same problem. Looks
like an nvidia bug.
When I log into the machine from
a matrox g450 GLX enabled X11 server
glxinfo works, when I do the same
from a nvidia X11 server it reports:

>name of display: >grainhuebel.itwm.fhg.de:18.0
>Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: No protocol specified

The GLX extensions are reported fine.

>display: grainhuebel.itwm.fhg.de:18 >screen: 0
>direct rendering: No
>>>server glx vendor string: NVIDIA >Corporation
>server glx version string: 1.3
>server glx extensions:
> GLX_EXT_visual_info, >>GLX_EXT_visual_rating, >GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
> GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, >GLX_ARB_multisample

[...]

Needless to say, that on the local
display on every machine everything works fine too.

Does anyone know whats the problem?
I think its a bug in their closed source
driver, because the matrox driver
works.

regards,

Martin
mvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-03, 03:41 PM   #5
bwkaz

If you've both done an xhost +<hostname>, then I don't know what to tell you. Do normal programs (like gvim for instance) work?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-03, 04:23 PM   #6
sbrady

I get the 'connection refused' error with all of the screensavers that I've tried, with the exception of t3d (atlantis, bubble3d, cage, dangerball, gears, gflux, glplanet, gltext, moebius, molecule, morph3d, pipes, rubik, sierpinski3d, stairs, starwars, and superquadrics). This happens regardless of whether or not the machine running the X server has the NVidia drivers installed. On a machine without the drivers, they all seem to run, but I imagine that if there's an X server using :0.0 running on the client-side, a connection to it will be made!

I'm not getting this problem at home, although I do still suffer from the GLXBadRenderRequest error. On the machine that's running the X server, I have Debian 3.0 along with the 4191 driver and XFree86 4.1.0.1. On the machine that's running the client, I have Red Hat 7.0 without the NVidia drivers, and XFree86 4.0.2. Does anybody have remote GLX working with NVidia drivers on the server-side, with/without NVidia drivers on the client-side?

With the NVidia drivers, bubble3d, dangerball, gears, gltext, molecule, morph3d, pipes, rubik, sierpinski3d, starwars, and t3d work when run remotely, using the NVidia drivers locally (I.e. on the X server, rather than the machine that I connect to). All of the others give the GLXBadRenderRequest error. Atlantis and glplanet can be made to run by passing -no-texture or -wireframe. Superquadrics can be made to run by using -wireframe. I get exactly the same results at home. (Stairs, cage, and moebius seem to ignore the -wireframe option!)

Last edited by sbrady; 02-14-03 at 04:35 PM.