Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-02, 02:39 PM   #13
rtz

Use the tar files, and run "make install" instead of the rpm files.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 04:35 PM   #14
ctaggart

Default nForce 420-D Chipset

Hi all,

I've installed:
NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0241.rh73up.athlon.rpm
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.i686.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm

but everytime I try to start X-Windows by running 'startx' all I get is a blank screen. I am able to restart by hitting ctrl+alt+delete, so it isn't totally frozen.

Motherboard = ASUS A7N266-E with NVidia nForce 420-D Chipset
Monitor = Samsung SyncMaster 955DF

I boot to runlevel 3 by default. I login as root. I then run 'lsmod NVdriver' to start it up and then I run 'startx'. I don't have any errors when booting. I've editted /etc/modules.conf. I ran Xconfigurator without testing (that would hang) and then editted /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as described in one of the readme files.

I've attached the log file /var/log/XFree86.0.log. I'm not sure how to proceed. If there are any other files I can attach or paste, let me know. I would like to get Redhat Linux 7.3 up and running.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xfree86.0.log.txt (14.3 KB, 664 views)
ctaggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 04:53 PM   #15
rtz

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"

That's the problem. Edit your XF86Config-4 file. Change the word nvidia to nv.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 05:36 PM   #16
ctaggart

Unhappy

The instructions that come with the rpm's say to change it. When I try to load it with 'nv' instead of 'nvidia' it freezes and I can't even use ctrl+alt+delete to reboot.

NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Driver Set README & Installation Guide
Last Updated: $Date: 2002/05/12 $
Most Recent Driver: 1.0-2960

That document in (sec-03) EDITING YOUR XF86CONFIG FILE says this:
----------------------------------------
If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

if they exist. There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver. Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options.
----------------------------------------

I've attached my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. I'll probably reinstalling Redhat 7.3 and then try to compile the tarballs. I'm not sure if that will help any. The RPMs should work. I put in really low monitor requirements in that config file. My monitor supports much better.

One of these days I will have a GUI.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (1.9 KB, 486 views)
Old 09-07-02, 07:47 AM   #17
shaun680

I'd just like to say a big thankyou to everyone who helped me in this thread, especially rtz. Finally got X working now! Woo Hoo! Now all I gotta do is learn how to use it!

Thanks again,
Shaun
shaun680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 05:00 PM   #18
targatop

Default Sound Issues - RH7.3

Has anybody had any issues getting the integrated sound to work on RH7.3? I am really struggling...I got the ethernet card and video card working, but I keep getting "unresolved symbols" error when I try to install nvaudio or load it up using "modprobe". Any ideas? I'm really desperate here. I'm about 1 step away from trashing this whole idea and buying a sound-blaster 16.

Thanks in advance!
targatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 05:13 PM   #19
ctaggart

Talking RH7.3 -> Mandrake 9.0rc1

After struggeling with the installation of Redhat 7.3 for a couple of days, I put it aside and downloaded Mandrake Linux 9.0 release candidate 1. It detected all my nVidia hardware and I was up and running X windows right away with sound!
Old 09-12-02, 10:40 PM   #20
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
Has anybody had any issues getting the integrated sound to work on RH7.3? I am really struggling...I got the ethernet card and video card working, but I keep getting "unresolved symbols" error when I try to install nvaudio or load it up using "modprobe". Any ideas? I'm really desperate here. I'm about 1 step away from trashing this whole idea and buying a sound-blaster 16.
Targatop: you shouldn't need to use the nvaudio.o driver. The i810_audio driver supports the nforce audio chip. Can you try insmod'ing i810_audio and see if that works for you? Also, you'll want to update to the latest nforce drivers (1.0-0241).

Thanks!

--andy

Old 09-14-02, 09:44 PM   #21
doom

Send a message via Yahoo to doom

try to set the partitions using fdisk. It seems to work better. And set Format type to ext3 for all except the swap partition.

Then maybe Grub would show linux. But make sure u understand all the fdisk commands, or just the ones your gonna use. My bootloader is set to grub and it shows Linux, without your "28" error.
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 11:57 AM   #22
knchee

Hi! I think I got all the difficult situations as discribed in your postings.

(1) I down loaded the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh72.i386.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm and installed as per README. I am fine with the kernel installation. But, error message with thye GLX installation. However, when I tried to reinstall the GLX package again, it says GLX package is already installed?! I then double confirm kernel and GLX package installed. I editted the XFree86Config-4 file as recommended in README. I "startx", error message "
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screens found, but none have a useable configuration

Fatal screens error:
no screens found"

No way out, I tried the following!

(2) I downloaded the tarballs - NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz and NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz. Make install went well with the GLX but error message for the kernel "
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather header from an appropriate kernel-source package
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change -I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: # error - I/lib/modules/$ (uname -r)/build/include
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the currently-running kernel.
make: *** [nv.o] Error 1"

What went wrong??!!

My notebook is Acer TravelMate 630 with Intel 1.6G, NVIDIA GForce 2 Go card, and LCD that can support 1024x768.

I appreciate for your help and guild.

Thanks
knchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 06:26 PM   #23
doom

Send a message via Yahoo to doom

what version of redhat are you using? 7.2?
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 10:26 PM   #24
t00bad

Quote:
Originally posted by knchee
Hi! I think I got all the difficult situations as discribed in your postings.

(1) I down loaded the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh72.i386.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm and installed as per README. I am fine with the kernel installation. But, error message with thye GLX installation. However, when I tried to reinstall the GLX package again, it says GLX package is already installed?! I then double confirm kernel and GLX package installed. I editted the XFree86Config-4 file as recommended in README. I "startx", error message "
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screens found, but none have a useable configuration

Fatal screens error:
no screens found"

No way out, I tried the following!

(2) I downloaded the tarballs - NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz and NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz. Make install went well with the GLX but error message for the kernel "
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather header from an appropriate kernel-source package
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change -I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: # error - I/lib/modules/$ (uname -r)/build/include
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the currently-running kernel.
make: *** [nv.o] Error 1"

What went wrong??!!

My notebook is Acer TravelMate 630 with Intel 1.6G, NVIDIA GForce 2 Go card, and LCD that can support 1024x768.

I appreciate for your help and guild.

Thanks
t00bad is offline   Reply With Quote