Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-02, 10:30 PM   #25
t00bad

Default woops the above boo boo

edit FF86Config-4 add or change "Option NvAGP" "1"
under the device section, thats all i did,

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screens found, but none have a useable configuration

Fatal screens error:
no screens found"
t00bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 11:14 PM   #26
doom

Send a message via Yahoo to doom

so you could not get it working either?
can u give me some system info, and what distro & version you are running?
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 10:35 AM   #27
knchee

Hi! My Linux version is 7.2. I entered "Option NvAGP" "1" i the Device Section and the error message "unknown keyward in line...." when I tried to startx . I need more help.

Thanks.
knchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 10:40 AM   #28
knchee

Sorry, my Linux installed is RedHat 7.2.
knchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 12:12 PM   #29
t00bad

Default try one of these

Option "NvAgp" "0" ... disables AGP support
Option "NvAgp" "1" ... use NVAGP, if possible
Option "NvAgp" "2" ... use AGPGART, if possible
Option "NvAGP" "3" ... try AGPGART; if that fails, try NVAGP

ok, i shoulda ask this before but is your card agp? if it is one of the above might work. the device section, wich was hard to choose, the layout of the file can be confusing did not have any options to start agp wich i needed. the above is from the readme text on nvidias site: http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-3123/README this is out of appendix f. i also used the forum at www.mandrakeuser.org wich had a lot of configs posted, i used them to determine were to put the line. they also have some posts wich tell you how to check to see if agp or any other modules are loaded or not and what files to check for clues, you have to look at the posts regarding failed nvidia installs. mandrake and redhat are very similar, ive loaded both. in regards to lines, sometimes it will tell you were the error is by line number, just count each line, blank or not and youll find the offending error. and i did not try to compile on this load, i started fresh giving a clean install to start with. i installed about 6 times before cuz i kept crashing the system. i hate to tell you to do this cuz it made me want to throw all of my pcs away but you got a lot of reading ahead of you keep at it. i also made a lot of stupid mistakes and overlooked or did not notice something really stupid=bad news.
generally the people in the forums are others like you, including me so be careful.....good luck!!!!!
t00bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 11:49 AM   #30
gOLeM

Default nforce !!!!!!

ok guys ,
it did not work for me !
this is what i did

uninstalled all the previously installed NVIDIA rpms and then installed the older rpms . not the 1.03 or whatever . i installed the 1.029 ..

and still the same problem
xserver freezes and hangs
all i see is a damn NVIDIA logo.

i dont think that i will get an answer for this but
just telling you guys that NVIDIA sucksssssssssss
Old 10-25-02, 10:56 AM   #31
jdsotack

It has been a while since I installed with RHAT 7.3 but I think when I did, I chose a non graphical logon. In this case, you log in after the RH 7.3 at a command line and do the NVIDIA install before you ever use A.

You type "startx" to get x going. Having in the past had problems with X starting automatically, I now always use this option.

John
jdsotack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-02, 04:22 AM   #32
krunk

i have an ASUS A7N266-VM and just got the graphics card working today on RH7.3. thanks for the help from all of you. had no idea where the headers and kernel source was, but apparently that was the problem.

anyway, i can't seem to get the nic to work. it detects it as "nvnet" as eth0. i'm going through a SMC Router (ip: 192.168.2.1) and don't know how to configure it. i tried activitating it but only got an error (cannot activate network device eth0)

when i click properties, it says: IRQ: unknown and the rest were blank. also i tried selecting an IRQ and all says fail to initialize.

i was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem or know how to fix this. thanks! ^_^x

Old 11-02-02, 12:52 PM   #33
jdsotack

I have an nforce based chip set. I believe that for the sound card and nic you need to get to traverse the download tree as follows to get the chipset (excluding video) as well.
Platform \Nforce->Unified Driver Package->Linux.

I had success with Red Hat 7.3 on my HP Pavilion and now am using the sound support and network card although I think I may have some issues with the sound both on Windows and Linux. On Windows one of my kids games has garbled sound. Also I think the sound has issues with some Linux applications.

I recently purchased a $20 sound card and will see if this helps when I get around to it.

John
Old 11-02-02, 06:54 PM   #34
krunk

thanks for your reply. but i've already installed the nforce drivers before i installed the GLX drivers. when i do autoconfig internet connection, it detected the nvnet as my ethernet card, but i just cant seem to use it.
Old 11-03-02, 07:02 AM   #35
jdsotack

Check the documenation for the install package if you have not already. As I recall the install may involve some hand editing of config file.
Old 11-11-02, 11:48 AM   #36
RefreshRate

Hi

I have MSI K7N 420 Pro w/ nforce chipset. I didnt have any problem configuring the network interface (nvnet) when I was using RHL 7.3

Now I'm on RHL 8.0 and so far I cant seem to install nvnet using the src.rpm file from nvidia site.

The tar file did give an nvnet.o module but it says the module was compiled w/ a gcc version 2, while RHL 8.0 was compiled w/ gcc version 3. No go there...

Does anyone have similar probs too w/ the new RHL 8.0 and the nforce src.rpm file?

Here's my original post

Thanx.
RefreshRate is offline   Reply With Quote