Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-21-08, 02:13 PM   #13
Bman212121

Default Re: Help me configure this storage server!

I don't think he was asking how to do it, he just wanted suggestions on what other partitions to make.

Personally I still like the 1 giant partition idea. Making one partition for the OS and then one other for the rest is okay, but it becomes a PITA really quickly because everytime you install something you have to change the driver letter of it, and if you start putting things on your desktop you can fill that OS partition really quickly. You are correct though it is easier to reformat the OS should it take a dump and not have to worry about losing your data.

Another thing to consider is this, if you want to do shares then you need to make another share for every partition, aka music, video, games, etc. If you ever need to move stuff around anytime you move a file on the same partition it is a move so it just updates the drive table accordingly. If you partition the heck of it then when you move a file from one partition to another it is a copy, then delete. This takes 1000x longer anytime you want to move files around. Then once you fill up your partitions you'll have to spend a lot more time resizing them.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 02:42 PM   #14
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
I don't think he was asking how to do it, he just wanted suggestions on what other partitions to make.
Thanks for explaining it in a way I could not.

Quote:
Personally I still like the 1 giant partition idea. Making one partition for the OS and then one other for the rest is okay, but it becomes a PITA really quickly because everytime you install something you have to change the driver letter of it, and if you start putting things on your desktop you can fill that OS partition really quickly. You are correct though it is easier to reformat the OS should it take a dump and not have to worry about losing your data.
True...but I have over a 1.5 Tb of space, and if I have some corruption with my os, I don't want to have to reinstall that and destroy the info that I'm using as backup.

I've decided to do three (3) partitions:
  • OS
  • Applications
  • Storage and backups
This way, I can have the best performance out of this server.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is this, if you want to do shares then you need to make another share for every partition, aka music, video, games, etc. If you ever need to move stuff around anytime you move a file on the same partition it is a move so it just updates the drive table accordingly. If you partition the heck of it then when you move a file from one partition to another it is a copy, then delete. This takes 1000x longer anytime you want to move files around. Then once you fill up your partitions you'll have to spend a lot more time resizing them.
If I do it the way I'm planning on doing it, I will be able to share out the last partition.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I am still open for more plans if you see a problem with the one I'm going with...
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 03:32 PM   #15
einstein_314
w00t!!

Personally I would just do 2. OS/Applications and Storage/Backups. Putting your applications on a separate partition won't improve performance (since it's all the same array anyways). If they were on a totally different hard drive then maybe there would be minor improvements. And if you lose the OS partition (crash or corruption) you'll still have to reinstall all the programs. Well...unless you figure out how to backup all the registry entries each program installs and then just restore them....I've heard of it working for games. But I think it would be way too much of a hassle to do it for every program.

So yeah, 2 partitions gets my vote. Oh and I'm curious....why 93GB for OS? Why not...100GB? Or 95GB?
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 03:47 PM   #16
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314
Personally I would just do 2. OS/Applications and Storage/Backups. Putting your applications on a separate partition won't improve performance (since it's all the same array anyways). If they were on a totally different hard drive then maybe there would be minor improvements. And if you lose the OS partition (crash or corruption) you'll still have to reinstall all the programs. Well...unless you figure out how to backup all the registry entries each program installs and then just restore them....I've heard of it working for games. But I think it would be way too much of a hassle to do it for every program.

So yeah, 2 partitions gets my vote. Oh and I'm curious....why 93GB for OS? Why not...100GB? Or 95GB?
I really don't know...93 just sounded like a good number for me.
Old 04-21-08, 06:02 PM   #17
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
OHHHH!

::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 11:01 AM   #18
DiscipleDOC

I just got approved to get another server just like that. I'm going to use the newer server for disk-to-disk backups as well as media backups.