Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-03-03, 10:05 AM   #1
Fra

Question Video in feature

Hello guys!
I'm about to purchase an ASUS V9180 Video Suite card which is based on Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 8x chipset.
This card has also a video in input plug that is able to capture movies (under windows).
Anyone knows if it is possible to use this feauture under linux?
Thank you very much
Francesco
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 07:39 PM   #2
bbarnett

RivaTV supposedly works with these cards. I haven't tried it myself, but that's the word.

Visit the mailing list, and checking things out. However, I'm going to give you a different suggestion.

Buy a cheap ATI TV Wonder SE. This card can be had for under $50 CDN, uses a spare PCI slot, and works well and stable under Linux. Mplayer can be used to easily record in any manner you please. This card uses the bttv drivers, part of the kernel and is very popular.

Furthermore, you can keep this card through multiple video card upgrades. I've gone from a geforceI, to a Geforce 2 and now a Geforce4, all using this same video card as my input.

It will save you much $$$ to do it this way. Instead of paying for that video in technology on every video card you buy, you only have to do it once.
bbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 10:46 PM   #3
bwkaz

Out of curiosity, is the TV Wonder VE about the same as the SE model?

I'm looking for a card, sort of, and all I can find (at Newegg or Pricewatch) is the VE model. Do you know what the difference is, offhand?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 10:58 PM   #4
bbarnett

bttv0: detected: ATI TV Wonder/VE [card=64], PCI subsystem ID is 1002:0003
bttv0: using: BT878(ATI TV-Wonder VE) [card=64,insmod option]
bttv0: i2c attach [client=EEPROM chip,ok]

Sorry, VE is what I mean.. Value Edition....

By the way, what CPU do you have? Recording to hard disk is easy, but using mplayer you can record directly to divx! You just need a CPU fast enough to keep up with the compression real time.. which seems to be about a PIII 800 or better....

If you don't have this speed, you can still record, just not direct to divx.
Old 05-04-03, 07:39 AM   #5
bwkaz

Oh, OK, I thought it might have been like the Radeon 7500's -- there was the 7500, then the 7500SE (which had a few features gone, but was still OK), then the 7500VE (which had dual-VGA capability, but the rendering pipeline was about half the speed, IIRC). Guess it's not, that's good.

And I've got an Athlon XP 1800+ in the machine I plan on putting it in, so that's even cooler. Better to not have to take up tons of space on the drive for my hour-long Star Trek fixes next week. (sad, isn't it? )

Did yours come with a coax cable? If not, no big deal, I can get one, but if so, it'd be a little easier. I can't tell from the picture that Newegg has -- they just show the box it comes in.
Old 05-04-03, 10:03 AM   #6
bbarnett

Nope, no coax cable (or if it did, it was so short I just threw it into my cable box ;P)
Old 05-04-03, 12:05 PM   #7
bwkaz

OK. Like I said, no big deal.

Thanks a lot!