Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-08, 07:24 AM   #37
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Why go Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX

so you see me paying 1625 for a retail ultimate with 32 and 64 in the same dvd is not so bad as the retail si almost 5000SEK
retail doesn't come with both 32 and 64bit on same disc, pirated versions do, but retail has two seperate disc
Old 04-23-08, 07:54 AM   #38
911medic
Is it football season yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
...those who use XP still are...noobs or newer members who don't know jack but what someone or what magazine tells them like that funny looking geek with the long hair who things Linux is the be all end all.

Its those who are tech savy who will use Vista now and those whi use XP are still noobs who don't much beyond building a rig but loading os and drivers.
Please. Some of the dumbest stuff you've ever posted, and that's saying a lot.
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 07:59 AM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2
Think twice. Every game I own is slower in DX10. I run them all in DX9, cause yes they are faster
untrue, bioshock and lost planet are faster in DX10 when used the same settings as in DX9 mode. AssCreed is same speed in DX10
Old 04-23-08, 08:47 AM   #40
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
untrue, bioshock and lost planet are faster in DX10 when used the same settings as in DX9 mode. AssCreed is same speed in DX10
And they look better

I'll never get tired of little things like the behavior of water in Bioshock when you move through it
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:21 AM   #41
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
I've extensively tested DX9 vs DX10 since coming to Vista recently. All tests are run at 1680x1050.

Assassin's Creed is actually about 20 frames per second slower on average in DX10 using a 9800 GX2. I get 85 - 90 in DX9 in Vista 32. DX10 gives me 60 - 70 frames per second. Its noticable too. Maybe the new patch that is coming will increase AC though. I know it's removing DX10.1 features as they cause problems.

Crysis is withing 6 FPS, DX10 is still slower. Very close though!

Lost Planet is the only game that is faster that I've found now.

Bioshock I haven't played in awhile, but I will check it out and see with this card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:32 AM   #42
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
...those who use XP still are...noobs or newer members who don't know jack but what someone or what magazine tells them like that funny looking geek with the long hair who things Linux is the be all end all.

Its those who are tech savy who will use Vista now and those whi use XP are still noobs who don't much beyond building a rig but loading os and drivers..
Wha? People are still using XP because their older hardware still works with it. The magazines are pimping Vista not XP, I believe MS has something to do with that though, tech savy people run linux not windows lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 04:51 AM   #43
dxx

Hmm, and I've just discovered that Ultimate 64 and 32 can be bought direct from Microsoft for kr1641, from here.

In future, it really would be a good idea to shop and ask around a little before blowing a wad of cash on something that now might not even come.
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 04:26 AM   #44
ASUSEN7900GTX

yeah well that is about what i gave for this

well anyway
a question this alchemy for X-Fi cards in vista is it still neede or is there a working driver for vista? 64bit?

btw anyone know what the latest INtel Inf for P965 chipset is for Vista?
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-08, 05:57 AM   #45
S.SubZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX
yeah well that is about what i gave for this

well anyway
a question this alchemy for X-Fi cards in vista is it still neede or is there a working driver for vista? 64bit?

btw anyone know what the latest INtel Inf for P965 chipset is for Vista?
There appears to be little point using a Creative card in Vista. Neutering the hardware acceleration took away it's big selling point, and the Alchemy thing seems like a hokey solution which requires too much effort on Creative's part.

For INFs just go to Intel's site and get the chipset utility. It's not been updated in a while.
S.SubZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 06:10 AM   #46
K007

Quote:
You will find that alot of the senior members here such as jakup, Doc, Redeemed, and to name a few are on Vista such as myself cuz we know Vista in and out now.

MikeC has a chart of XP vs Vista users up somewhere on here but those who use XP still are the majority here but if you find out who they are, you will find them to be noobs or newer members who don't know jack but what someone or what magazine tells them like that funny looking geek with the long hair who things Linux is the be all end all.

Its those who are tech savy who will use Vista now and those whi use XP are still noobs who don't much beyond building a rig but loading os and drivers.

Remembe the OS works as good as the users rig and the users ability to tweaking it.
The people you named probably have alot of time to switch out drivers/etc and play around, also most of them would probably have the XP as well with dual boot. If you have a Single GPU i think Vista is pretty solid, you would still have to keep visiting the site and keep testing every new driver that come out, because performance in some games are on par..while on others..its below. For SLI..its even more difficult as drivers tend to be very pick with it on Vista.

If you want to go to Vista, make sure to visit the Vista Forceware section and dig through all the drivers that have come out recently, check which ones are good and which ones are bad.

4GB/64Bit will probably be a better choice as well. Again...as far as advantages go..if your XP does everything you need..then stick to it..If you want DX10/etc...then use Vista as you have no choice in that..but expect ****ty fps in all your games...if you are happy with that..then i say go for it..if you don't have the time..then stick to XP because your not missing out on much...

If your a gamer..stick to XP.

2c.

PS:Yea i have tried Vista...SLI was a pain which is why i switched back....drivers may have improved by now..but like i said..if you want to go Vista, check the drivers section and read through them all, and also check out the guru3d forum as well. Get all the info from not just one place, but as much as you can before you decide to do it...

Alternatively you can dual boot. Also Ultimate too

I am gonna be giving Vista a shot when i get my next Single GPU upgrade, i was gonna get the 9800gtx, but decided i will wait to see how 9900 series go. Single GPU should have a lot less problems with Vista ><. I really cant wait to check out that dreamscene thing or w/e...looks awesome lol
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 06:21 AM   #47
K007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiuOl...eature=related

man so awesome lol
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 07:34 AM   #48
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf
Grey, why do you think i bought yours and Gib's copies? It goes for like $500 AUD here, and that's just home premium.

I've been using Vista for over a year now, and i haven't looked back since. I seriously love it so much more than XP, because i've had to fix Vista far less than XP, even with all the broken drivers in the early stages of it's life.
I guess it just doesn't really hit what some of you have to pay for software and hardware until I get punched in the eye with another price quote like his.

That's just....wrong.