Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-03-03, 01:03 PM   #1
syd

Default Nvidia and Debian

Hi, I have trouble to run driver installer (.run) on my Knoppix (Debian) release.
I had no problem with Mandrake 9.1, in Knoppix the Kernel does not support the Nvidia card. What NVIDIA_kernel I can install that is compatible with my RivaTnt2 64 ?
Can I still use the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run after the kernel installer?
Thanks
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 02:30 PM   #2
bwkaz

Default Re: Nvidia and Debian

Quote:
Originally posted by syd
Can I still use the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run after the kernel installer?
Huh? The nVidia installer (the .run file) will install the kernel module for you...

What are the problems you're having with it? Oh, and BTW -- try 4363, too. 4349 had a few bugs in it; most of them have been fixed in 4363 (AFAIK anyway).

Post /var/log/nvidia-installer.log, too.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 05:18 PM   #3
syd

The installer cannot proceed with the installation of the driver because the kernel not support the card nvidia . ..and give me an error to find the kernel to install in automatic (on the site nvidia). Now I am using Mandrake, as soon as possible I will put the log on this forum. L' X server works well however, KDE is visualized correctly but I have not all the quality of my card. Thanks
Old 05-03-03, 06:40 PM   #4
bwkaz

Oh -- you're getting the "could not find sources for your kernel" generic-type message? It's not that the kernel doesn't support your card, it's that there is no precompiled kernel interface for Knoppix's kernel. No big deal, you just have to build it yourself.

To do that, you need to install Knoppix's kernel-source package. Since Knoppix is based on Debian, it might be named kernel-headers instead. Make sure you install the right version (the version of kernel-headers has to match what uname -r prints).
Old 05-04-03, 02:55 AM   #5
syd

Thank you very much
Old 05-04-03, 03:03 AM   #6
syd

...therefore I use only the Installer .run and not also NVIDIA_GLX and NVIDIA_kernel?
Sorry, but I'm newbie in linux
Old 05-04-03, 07:44 AM   #7
bwkaz

Yes, you only need the .run file. In the future, this is all that will (supposedly) be provided.
Old 05-05-03, 04:23 AM   #8
syd

Ok, this is my installer.log
Quote:
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' creation time: Sat May 3 16:24:19 2003 option status: license pre-accepted : false update : false force update : false expert : false uninstall : false driver info : false no precompiled interface: false no ncurses color : false query latest driver ver : false no OpenGL header files : false no questions : false silent : false XFree86 install prefix : /usr/X11R6 OpenGL install prefix : /usr Installer install prefix: /usr kernel include path : (not specified) kernel install path : (not specified) proc mount point : /proc ui : (not specified) tmpdir : /tmp ftp site : ftp://download.nvidia.com Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface -> License accepted. -> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you li ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel f rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes) -> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site; this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for your kernel. -> Kernel include path: '/lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/build/include' -> Cleaning kernel module build directory. executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make clean'... rm -f nv.o os-agp.o os-interface.o os-registry.o nv-linux.o nv_compiler.h * .d NVdriver nvidia.o -> Building kernel module: executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make nvidia.o SYSINCLUDE=/lib/modules/2.4.20-xf s/build/include'... You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with a compiler different from the one that was used to compile the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and system crashes. If you know what you are doing and want to override this check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH. In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel. [1;31m*** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! *** [0mmake: *** [gcc-check] Error 1 -> Error. ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module. ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
My uname -r is:
2.4.20-xfs

I get :
apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.20-xfs kernel-source-2.4.20

but this is the massage:
couldn't find package kernel-headers-2.4.20-xfs

Thanks

Old 05-05-03, 07:55 AM   #9
bwkaz

Doesn't that log file have returns in it?!?!

Anyway, it looks like the problem is a compiler version mismatch. What do cat /proc/version and cc -dumpversion tell you?

You do seem to have some kernel source package installed, though.
Old 05-05-03, 08:58 AM   #10
Des

For any Debian based distribution what you need to do is:
apt-get install kernel-headers-'uname -r'
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run --kernel-include-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/
But I think that Knoppix kernel headers may not be available...
The thing is that Debian store kernel headers at /usr/src/kernel-headers-VERSION
Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 05:19 PM   #11
syd

Hi, this is cat /proc/version :
Linux version 2.4.20-xfs (root@Knoppix) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 SMP Mit Mär 26 15:37:36 CET 2003

and this cc -dumpversion

I try apt-get install 2.4.20 without -xfs and it runs !! But it is correct? I do not use the Filesystem Xfs ...
However later having downloaded and installed the Headers for the Kernel 4.2.20, Nvidia.run gives me the same mistakes.
Old 05-05-03, 05:28 PM   #12
bwkaz

Read the README. Using gcc 2 on your kernel (in your case, 2.95.3) and gcc 3 on your nVidia driver WILL fail (even if you force it). That is why it complains and quits -- because if it didn't, there'd be ten thousand people trying to do exactly what you're doing, and they'd all have problems with ioremap() failing (along with countless other things) inside the driver.

You need to recompile your kernel using your system compiler.