Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-08, 12:36 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: linux makes me masochistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
LOl, Ok.

From one Linux user to another..this thread was posted as a vent only. No major business decisions or build or troubleshooting issues are being covered here. I was keeping it light in an attempt to keep the peace.

You are obviously above all that.

Peace, and have a nice life.
BLASPHEMY!!!!

pull my finger.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 12:49 PM   #26
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
BLASPHEMY!!!!

pull my finger.
No.
Old 06-10-08, 07:16 PM   #27
Redeemed

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 07:23 PM   #28
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Windows does suck, but not nearly as much as know-it-all Linux users.

The ONLY place I ever see the term "RTFM" is in Linux circles.
probably cause it's the only place where you actually have to be computer literate to use a computer.

i started using linux with slacware 9.1 and the learning curve was a little steep (dont ask why i didnt try a little easier distro like ubuntu or something). anyways, i actually did have to read the manual. many times lol. especially when i compiled my own kernel for the first time, heh.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 07:41 PM   #29
bacon12

No I think he was saying so many elitist linux users will say that as a response to many noobs instead of answering their questions and being helpful. I know it is irritating that you answer the same question over and over, and a simple forum search will answer the question, but some like being asshats instead.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:19 PM   #30
davcefai

Weird thread.

The Original Poster should try installing binaries. I use Debian Unstable, update daily and rarely need to compile anything.

except:
Currently compiling a kernel on one of my PCs 'cos the stock Debian kernel has XEN enabled and NVidia won't install.
davcefai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 10:32 AM   #31
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
Every security update, every patch where you need to recompile. Every kernel update (biggest thing). Incompatibilities on kernels, on libraries. Libraries not being found even though I just compiled the files (nfnetlink_queue). ./configure failing, make failing, libtool not adding the library files correctly.

General nuances: updating apache? well, you may as well update php too, well your updating php, probably should update mysql for the new libraries. there goes 45 minutes. I wouldn't test RPM files with my life. Don't get me started with selinux.

The main reason for linux imo is a stable server environment. This is very true, it is indeed stable, but jeesh, I think I'll change to windows next time i order a dedicated box.

Oh ya, its redhat rhel 5 - meh. I think im going to go ritualistically cut myself. . . . ^_^

I'm sure if you have physical access, its a lot easier than just using ssh to do everything.
You are lookng at this all wrong, don't think of it as time wasted, think of it as time billing the customer. Besides, if you go with windows, all that time you will save with configures will be time spent formating and reinstalling the OS due to some script kiddie hacking into your box.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 07:48 AM   #32
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

More fuel into flames.

Quote:
Every security update, every patch where you need to recompile. Every kernel update (biggest thing). Incompatibilities on kernels, on libraries. Libraries not being found even though I just compiled the files (nfnetlink_queue). ./configure failing, make failing, libtool not adding the library files correctly.

General nuances: updating apache? well, you may as well update php too, well your updating php, probably should update mysql for the new libraries. there goes 45 minutes.
Switch to Debian and learn to run "aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade". Done. If you need to compile stuff yourself for whatever reason, there are two things you can blame. Customer and the distribution.

Quote:
I'm sure if you have physical access, its a lot easier than just using ssh to do everything.
Physical access changes very little. You can do virtually everything over SSH with very little fuzz.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-08, 01:57 AM   #33
jdhore

I'm going to :gasp: actually respond to the OP.

I'll put this simply: RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) is crap, CentOS is decent, but still crap and SLED/SLES is crap. If you want a good server OS, go with Debian or FreeBSD. I use both in a server environment and i use Debian as my Desktop OS and i have to say...I couldn't be happier...I never have upgrade issues, it's stable and fast as hell, simply, it kicks RHEL's ASS...and yes, for the record, i HAVE used RHEL and i have used CentOS so i'm speaking from experience, i'm not just talking out my ass.
jdhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 09:24 PM   #34
Bearclaw

Linux sucks.
Old 08-04-08, 09:29 PM   #35
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

mole people suck
Old 08-05-08, 12:46 AM   #36
Fackamato