Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-08, 09:25 AM   #37
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: linux makes me masochistic

This thread was on the brink of death . . . until BearFAIL came in!

Linux is great, but my problem is that I tinker with it too much. I always install the latest stuff and of course, it breaks it 4 out of 5 times lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 02:01 PM   #38
Absolution
AbsoUI

I can't believe this thread is still up ha.
Since this thread, I've been running Windows 2003 Standard and do not regret doing so. The only thing I miss is users being able to run standard shell commands (like unzipping files, moving folders around, etc). I suppose I kinda miss running my eggdrop bot, but I can get past that.

Also, I'd love to bill the customer in the end, but no one is paying for it other than me. I administer the server by myself and let 20-30 people use it for their own personal sites. They pay me nothing.

Windows updates? Eh, the server was up for a month before I installed winscp (why that requires a restart I have no idea).

Also, installing linux binaries for a production server is like playing russian roulette (unless they are from the official updates). Also, a lot of exploits don't work on software you've compiled yourself due to the fact that your build is then unique. Also, I need day to day updates because people love to hack my server (I run around with a rough crowd. . . ).

I'll try debian on my next server upgrade though (then again, server 2008 looks very interesting too).
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 03:20 PM   #39
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
I'll try debian on my next server upgrade though
As it's going to be a server, be sure to use stable. Not testing or unstable, but stable. And subscribe to debian-security-announce!

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote