Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-03-03, 08:29 PM   #1
fuzydice

Default redhat9 quake3 console drop down issue

Hi-

am running redhat 9, an nvidia gf3 ti200 card, and am using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349 for drivers.

quake3 runs great... however, i have this problem: when i bring down the console with ` key, sometimes the mouse appears in the center of the screen and i cannot make the console go back up.... if i move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, the screen scrolls and i can see my desktop underneath the quake3 "window" . however, its not a window, and i cannot click it. I cannot get back into quake3. the only way i can get rid of quake3 at this point is to open a terminal, become root and # killall quake3.x86 VERY annoying, as i bring down the console anytime i want to play (/ready) for example. It happens randomly, there is no pattern that i can tell. It will do it sometimes everytime i bring the console, other times i can go an hour of brirnging down the console and putting it back up with no problems.

Ive talked to some people about it and they say its an nvidia driver problem and that i need to talk to nvidia.... hmmmmmmm

also, should note that when i window quake3 (alt+enter), and it becomes a window, when i bring the console down it does the same thing..... however, when i click on the q3 window, it becomes active, and i can close the console and continue gaming. This problem only occurs when the game is maximized.

So is there a fix? is it a resolution issue? My desktop runs at 1600x1200 (21" monitor) and i have quake running at 1024x768.

please help, quake3 is about the only game that has a linux client

-fuzy
fuzydice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-03, 10:10 PM   #2
bwkaz

Well I'm not at all sure how that could possibly be a driver issue; it sounds like the Q3 binary is just losing focus. Or something else is trying to grab the mouse and the X protocol is letting it (I'm not sure how mousegrabs work, so I don't know if this is possible or not) for some reason.

But as far as this goes:

Quote:
quake3 is about the only game that has a linux client
Well, no, not really.

RtCW has one, Q1 and Q2 have one, UT2k3 has one, Rune and Descent 3 have one (though you have to buy those specifically -- unfortunately, since Loki went bankrupt, the supply of all their games have started getting scarce...), UT the original has an installer, and Unreal Gold also does. Check out www.icculus.org
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 01:11 AM   #3
Andy Mecham
l33t master

You can still find most of the Loki games about, but there are lots of other games around, too. As bwkaz suggested, check out icculus.org.

--andy, ex-loki
Old 05-04-03, 06:55 PM   #4
fuzydice

um

so no one has any idea why this is happening? this isnt happening to anyone else???

wow

guess i better go back to windows.
Old 05-04-03, 07:27 PM   #5
Andy Mecham
l33t master

What Q3A point release are you on? This doesn't sound like an NVIDIA driver issue at all.

--andy
Old 05-05-03, 04:09 AM   #6
fuzydice

q3 1.32b <-- current point release that im using. i updated the nvidia driver to the latest today (1.0-4363) but the problem still remains.

ive also tried playing q3 with 1600x1200 as my res, but the bug still occurs and when it does, i cant scroll down the screen and open a terminal to killall quake3.x86 ... have to cntrl+alt+backspace to kill x

-fuzy
Old 05-05-03, 04:26 PM   #7
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Focus problems are the domain of your window manager. Does this happen with other window managers?

--andy
Old 05-07-03, 04:12 AM   #8
fuzydice

just installed enlightenment, and yep! same problem is occuring.

i see that its occuring now when the current map is changed on a server. As soon as the map changes, if i bring down the console, it for sure happens. It also happens randomly if the map is never changed, but at least there's a scenario where i can get it to happen w/o fail. btw, it does this on both window managers..... this isnt a new development since i installed and am using enlightenment.

any other idea's?

Old 05-07-03, 02:41 PM   #9
Andy Mecham
l33t master

It's not clear what's causing your problem, but it's not related to the NVIDIA driver.

--andy
Old 05-07-03, 04:14 PM   #10
fuzydice

i guess i will try going back to an older point release and seeing if the problem still exists.

i had quake3 running on redhat 7.3 with no problems, though i believe it was an older point release (1.31, not a/b).

-fuzy
Old 05-07-03, 07:30 PM   #11
fuzydice

i installed point release 1.32 for linux ... the console bug is not present, however my mouse does not work at all lol.

so i went and looked for point release 1.32b again, and after seeing the massive 75 minute waits at the popular places (and id software's site only had 1.32 tho i might have missed 1.32b somewhere on their page) i found a quite download from a russian website... installed it again like normal, and the console bug is gone. I cannot get it to lose focus at all while q3 is maximixed (which is how it should be). and yes, the mouse works too amazingly.

perhaps there are different versions of 1.32b floating around? or is there a specific order that these point releases must be installed? I would say the latter is the answer.

thanks for the help, though guys.
Old 08-11-03, 11:54 AM   #12
SiliconSlick

I've noticed the same problem with RTCW.

WOLF 1.41MP Linux-i386
RedHat 9 - fully updated
GeForce4 Ti4200
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run

If I run in fullscreen, occasionally when
the console is down, I'll lose focus.
The in-game cursor quits working and
all I get is X's cursor (a smaller arrow).

I can't seem to <Alt>-<Tab> back to it.
The only solution is to kill it and start
again.

SiliconSlick
SiliconSlick is offline   Reply With Quote