Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-08, 12:38 PM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: Is anyone else uncomfortable with the GTA and GTA-like games?

i would never do anything that i do in GTA in real life. i understand the difference between reality and a videogame.

that's probably why i dont have a problem with the game.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 12:42 PM   #14
methimpikehoses

I have a problem with children playing it, honestly. Much of it is tasteless. My kid won't be playing it.
Old 04-24-08, 12:45 PM   #15
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Will somebody explain the story of GTA a little better? So, for example, could I play the game as a "good" guy in that I avoid hookers and needlessly stealing and killing? In every other game I play there's a pretty clear good/bad story (even if it's a bad one). I understand it's a game and I'm hardly endorsing the position that it be banned or that you're a "thug" with a heart full of wickedness if you play it. I just simply find the material the game seems to endorse distastefull and have therefore avoided it.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 12:46 PM   #16
Zelda_fan

Mr Hunt, if you pitched a tent to the Hot Coffee mod, you deserve mockery and ridicule.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 12:47 PM   #17
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
Will somebody explain the story of GTA a little better? So, for example, could I play the game as a "good" guy in that I avoid hookers and needlessly stealing and killing? In every other game I play there's a pretty clear good/bad story (even if it's a bad one). I understand it's a game and I'm hardly endorsing the position that it be banned or that you're a "thug" with a heart full of wickedness if you play it. I just simply find the material the game seems to endorse distastefull and have therefore avoided it.
It's pretty simple. You're a gangsta-style thug who just got busted out of the clink. Crackers, ho's, and pigs, are all trying to cramp your gangsta style. As a result your objective is to pull your your AK and cap as many asses as possible.
Old 04-24-08, 12:58 PM   #18
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
I have a problem with children playing it, honestly. Much of it is tasteless. My kid won't be playing it.
you need to realise that if your kid (not sure how old he/she is) wants to play it, they will find a way. Is not like you gonna follow them 24/7. Go with them to their friends house.
Old 04-24-08, 12:59 PM   #19
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
It's pretty simple. You're a gangsta-style thug who just got busted out of the clink. Crackers, ho's, and pigs, are all trying to cramp your gangsta style. As a result your objective is to pull your your AK and cap as many asses as possible.
if your serious then that comment clearly shows that you never have played the series. Im not even a fan of the series and have given them a shot. I dislike them because the story is too lose for me. I don't mind the violence rather I get side tracked and then bored.

You can go through a GTA game without killing innocent people if you are good at the game, Hookers are 100% optional most of the time aswell.

Take San Andreas, the premise was that you were a gansta thug but were trying to turn your life around when you get approached in the beginning by crooked cops who try to drag you back into the problems. It then turns into a downward spiral that you try to pull yourself out of.

Vice City is about revange, you had money stolen and a friend killed so you want to get back at the bastards and have to jump through hoops to get to the person responsible.

Imagine the GTA series being about an anti-hero. Someone who is trying to do good (in some form or another) but in the process bad things happen so he can accomplish his ultimate goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
you need to realise that if your kid (not sure how old he/she is) wants to play it, they will find a way. Is not like you gonna follow them 24/7. Go with them to their friends house.
Not if your a good parent and your kid respects your decisions and rules. I know when I was 10 or so my parents didn't like me playing Doom and Mortal Kombat. My dad actually bought it for me and my mother made him return it. I didn't go behind my parents back because I knew that if I was caught doing so I would be grounded and get my ass beat for disrespecting them.
Old 04-24-08, 01:03 PM   #20
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
You don't have to kill pedestrians or jack cars. I didn't even know you could pick up hookers until I read about it in a faq. No one is saying its not about crime but its just a game just like a movie is just a movie. And the best way I can easy describe the story is that of say Scarface or even The Godfather. You are a criminal on a escalator going up in rank.

Also if anything the body count is less in this game than say a Call of Duty or a Medal of Honor because you are not just killing and killing and killing for 12 hours straight.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-08, 01:05 PM   #21
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
if your serious then that comment clearly shows that you never have played the series. Im not even a fan of the series and have given them a shot. I dislike them because the story is too lose for me. I don't mind the violence rather I get side tracked and then bored.
I played GTA III on my roomate's PS2 when I was in college. I think I remember it starting out with me getting out of prison. I stole someone gun, and shot a ho in the face. Was pretty sweet. All the game needs is a streetball mini-game, and it would be the greatest of all time.
Old 04-24-08, 01:06 PM   #22
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Not if your a good parent and your kid respects your decisions and rules. I know when I was 10 or so my parents didn't like me playing Doom and Mortal Kombat. My dad actually bought it for me and my mother made him return it. I didn't go behind my parents back because I knew that if I was caught doing so I would be grounded and get my ass beat for disrespecting them.
times change, back in the day kids generally had more respect
Old 04-24-08, 01:07 PM   #23
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I played GTA III on my roomate's PS2 when I was in college. I think I remember it starting out with me getting out of prison. I stole someone gun, and shot a ho in the face. Was pretty sweet. All the game needs is a streetball mini-game, and it would be the greatest of all time.
You should have done less crack in college and you might have remembered the game properly...
Old 04-24-08, 01:08 PM   #24
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
times change, back in the day kids generally had more respect
And the parents should be blamed...