Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-08, 01:27 PM   #25
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Is anyone else uncomfortable with the GTA and GTA-like games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
You should have done less crack in college and you might have remembered the game properly...
it's not my fault. GTA taught me how to deal crack and I got addicted to my own supply
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 01:31 PM   #26
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Take San Andreas, the premise was that you were a gansta thug but were trying to turn your life around when you get approached in the beginning by crooked cops who try to drag you back into the problems. It then turns into a downward spiral that you try to pull yourself out of.
I hear you bro. I'm just a simple thug trying to live a thug life. But those crooked pigs and ho's are trying to cramp my style. That's why it's best to just bust a cap in their ass and make sum bacon.
Old 04-24-08, 01:33 PM   #27
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Hookers are 100% optional most of the time aswell.
Trust me G, if you are a tru gangsta, ho's are NOT optional.
Old 04-24-08, 01:48 PM   #28
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Trust me G, if you are a tru gangsta, ho's are NOT optional.
When has GTA ever been about crap like that? Because GTA: SA featured a black protagonist? It also happens to be the most light-hearted of all the games. It only plays on that boys in the hood crap you are making fun of for maybe 3 hours of the entire 18 or so hours of game.

And hell your favorite game is a elf in green tights which you happened to have named your self after and chosen an avatar from. So who here has been more influenced by a games?
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 01:58 PM   #29
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
You don't have to kill pedestrians or jack cars. I didn't even know you could pick up hookers until I read about it in a faq. No one is saying its not about crime but its just a game just like a movie is just a movie. And the best way I can easy describe the story is that of say Scarface or even The Godfather. You are a criminal on a escalator going up in rank.

Also if anything the body count is less in this game than say a Call of Duty or a Medal of Honor because you are not just killing and killing and killing for 12 hours straight.
Thanks for the explanations. I may even try it, if for no other reason than to be able to give a clearer explanation as to why I have avoided it. With respect to body count, there seems to be a clear distinction between the killing that one does in COD4 and the sort that often occurs in GTA.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 02:21 PM   #30
nrdstrm

I actually like the GTA games...But I get bored of them easily (like Magus)....I usually only play for a few hours, then I'm done...That is why I rent them instead of buying them...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 02:40 PM   #31
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
Thanks for the explanations. I may even try it, if for no other reason than to be able to give a clearer explanation as to why I have avoided it. With respect to body count, there seems to be a clear distinction between the killing that one does in COD4 and the sort that often occurs in GTA.
Yes the distinction is clear in that you are killing the "evil Nazis" but I think it does more to desensitize the user than GTA. In a COD and MOH you kill and kill, the only joy anyone gets from these games is killing over and over except for the intermission for the next level. In GTA one minute you are in car race, then a dance contest and next helping some hippie burn is weed so the aliens and government doesn't get it.

Regardless I can respect your opinion on not liking the games I just hate the fact some try to make the games out to be murder simulators or make us feel bad for liking them.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 02:46 PM   #32
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

GTA4 is going to rock, I don't see anything wrong with it AS LONG as you don't take it to heart.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-08, 02:56 PM   #33
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I've only ever screwed around with the GTA games, wreaking havoc and blowing stuff up. They never kept my interest enough for me to play through the missions.

They don't bother me the least bit though. I don't think children should play them, but other than that, I don't think there is anything that bad in these or most other games.

I draw the line at games focused on school shootings or simulations\parodies of real tragedies.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 04:35 PM   #34
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

The humour in the GTA games is brilliant, that's what seperates it from just being mindless violence. It has an almost Tom and Jerry feel to it all. Way too comical to be considered anything other than pointless but fun entertainment.

They are games that don't take themselves too seriously and that is how they have managed to succeed.

Once you could say it thrived off the back of controversy perhaps, but twice... a third.... fourth time? .... I don't think so.

The touch of genius with this series of game is simple. You don't actually have to run around shooting pedestrians, running them over etc ... that choice is down to the player, they aren't fundementals of the game. That's also the difference, you have choice.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 07:37 PM   #35
Thingding
Cakes > Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
I've only ever screwed around with the GTA games, wreaking havoc and blowing stuff up. They never kept my interest enough for me to play through the missions.;
i was exactly the same until i played san andreas, which surprised me with a reasonably strong narrative. like they say, killing pedestrians is a small and, frankly, rare element of the game. blowing up cars is more prevalent but then how many games are there that do that these days? a good game is a good game. so what if it has the occasional bad taste?

(it's not exactly How To Be A Complete B*stard!)
Old 04-24-08, 10:59 PM   #36
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

nothing against a particular set of people, but I have to pass thru a particularly seedy area for work each day. And when some of them walk on the streets like they own them with their knickers round their knees, you just wish you could run them over and not have to worry about cops or jail...lol