Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-08, 11:14 AM   #73
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

Default Re: Is anyone else uncomfortable with the GTA and GTA-like games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
It's not violence that turns me off, it's the culture that I percieve is being endorsed.

I simply think there is a dinstinction between the sort of killing one does in COD4 and the sort that one does in GTA. COD4 certainly has more killing but I'd hardly classify the sort of killing one does in a war game as murder. On the other hand, it sounds to me like the sort of killing that goes on in GTA is murder.

On my part, I'm pretty consistent about this across all the media I choose to entertain myself with with very few exceptions. For example I've never seen the Godfather or similar shows or movies for just about the same reasons I don't like GTA and related games. Obviously my distaste is not only with media, I dislike the entire "gang" and to a certain degree "hip hop" culture in general.

If you are afraid of "the culture being endorsed" then you should not want to play games where one is a roided up ex-super soldier that obliterates his foes with a flak cannon or a miniature nuclear warhead launcher.

Or games that promote war that trains kids to become soldiers.
Old 04-25-08, 11:30 AM   #74
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Oh please. You have absolutely zero reason to believe I "have too much time [on my] hands" and "all [i] think about is feeling 'uncomfortable' about" GTA. If you can say that about my thread then the same can be said of just about every thread in every forum in the internets. I'm a philosophy major, chemistry and biology minor, applying to med-school while working nights in an ER.

I hardly sit around all day churning my noodle about GTA and what it is or is not doing to society or how much I dislike it. I post on the forum when I can to get a break from everything else I'm doing. I can start a thread about something I've thought about for 1 fraction of a second just as easily as I can about something I've been thinking about for years and the fact that I've started a thread hardly indicates the length or degree with which I've considered the topic I'm posting on unless I were to explicitly state it. Maybe you should spend a little more time thinking about what you post before you do it to avoid making such obviously absurd comments.
On a more serious note.

I'm with brady on this one. While i will say that I don't mind GTA and it does not make me personally feel uncomfortable. It is ENTIRELY different from a game like CoD4. Sure, both are killing people. Even killing more people in CoD4. But its not about that. Its how you are killing the people and more importantly WHY. CoD4 you are killing people to defend your country. GTA you are killing people for nothing other than watching your victim die.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 11:30 AM   #75
ViN86

Quote:
It's not violence that turns me off, it's the culture that I percieve is being endorsed.
well if it's the culture you dont approve of then boycott a bunch of other things too. boycott Hollywood for endorsing a care-free lifestyle with no responsibility or consequences for their actions. boycott MTV and other bull**** channels that tell everyone they can be a star and can do whatever they want to be happy. boycott the rap industry for promoting drugs and violence (along with butchering the English language).

Quote:
I'm a philosophy major, chemistry and biology minor, applying to med-school while working nights in an ER.
pfft. i do all that plus charity work.

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 11:33 AM   #76
methimpikehoses

Not all video games are suitable for children. Adults can decide for themselves.

/thread
Old 04-25-08, 11:44 AM   #77
Camp0rz
*BANNED*

i wuz be hoping dere gunna be liek a rape moad in gta cuatrizzle.

er maybe evend liek sum kidz er sumthin, dere aint neveer no kidz to shoot iz makin me sad
Camp0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 11:48 AM   #78
|MaguS|

www.ghettotranslator.com
Old 04-25-08, 11:50 AM   #79
Camp0rz
*BANNED*

get yer fuukin viruz urls out my fase!
Camp0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 12:22 PM   #80
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
well if it's the culture you dont approve of then boycott a bunch of other things too. boycott Hollywood for endorsing a care-free lifestyle with no responsibility or consequences for their actions. boycott MTV and other bull**** channels that tell everyone they can be a star and can do whatever they want to be happy. boycott the rap industry for promoting drugs and violence (along with butchering the English language).

pfft. i do all that plus charity work.

This is getting taken way too far. First, for what it's worth I don't watch MTV because I don't like the culture and attitude I perceive it endorsing. The same goes for most rap. Nevertheless, that's beyond what this thread was about. It's simply about how I discriminate between the sorts of games I enjoy and the sorts of games I don't. Sure, some of those discriminations can be taken beyond video games but there's hardly what could be called a formal entailment. To be clear one more time, I'm not trying to assert that you ought not play GTA or that GTA is destroying society. The point of the thread was to find out if others didn't like GTA and for the same reasons I don't.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-08, 12:29 PM   #81
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 01:16 PM   #82
ViN86

Quote:
This is getting taken way too far. First, for what it's worth I don't watch MTV because I don't like the culture and attitude I perceive it endorsing. The same goes for most rap. Nevertheless, that's beyond what this thread was about. It's simply about how I discriminate between the sorts of games I enjoy and the sorts of games I don't. Sure, some of those discriminations can be taken beyond video games but there's hardly what could be called a formal entailment. To be clear one more time, I'm not trying to assert that you ought not play GTA or that GTA is destroying society. The point of the thread was to find out if others didn't like GTA and for the same reasons I don't.
i was just pointing out the other things, but it looks like youve already considered them.

that's all i was really saying, not really trying to poke holes in your argument.

also brady ygpm regarding nothing to do with GTA.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 08:27 PM   #83
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp0rz
i wuz be hoping dere gunna be liek a rape moad in gta cuatrizzle.

er maybe evend liek sum kidz er sumthin, dere aint neveer no kidz to shoot iz makin me sad
If you were allowed to rape pedestrians instead of steal their cars, I would agree with IGNs 10 rating because that would make me feel like a tru gangster.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 08:28 PM   #84
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
I feel sorry for the people that have too much time on their hands that all they can think about is feeling "uncomfortable" about some game and taking the time to post about it rather than just not caring about the game at all if it doesn't interest them.
I feel sorry for losers that spend 30+ hours a week playing GTA.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote