Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-08, 05:30 PM   #61
JigenD

Default Re: Is WiiFit 4 sets of electronic bathroom scales glued together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
And if their previous idea of working out was sitting on the couch eating chips? Nobody's saying that Wii fit is going to turn you into an Olympic-caliber athlete or that it replaces running, biking, lifting weights, or whatever else you might do for exercise. But for a lot of people it's a big step up from what they're doing right now and IMHO that makes it worthwhile. Exercise doesn't have to be strenuous for it to be beneficial.
Here's the thing, it may NOT improve their health, and like I pointed out before, it may actually make it worse. The Wiimote itself is more strenuous than beneficial, just the strain it puts on joints and such. WiiFit was designed by game makers, not fitness experts. That alone suggests to me it too may be more harmful than good.

Scenario :

Out of shape person buys WiiFit believing it will help them out at least somewhat, like you suggest. They play a lot the first day and get really worn out and then :

A). They're so worn out from day or week one that they think they did a good job so they eat 2 sundaes, or don't work as hard in their day to day life for the next 2 weeks (because they ache

B). They step on the Wii scale and see they GAINED 5 POUNDS (water weight, muscle, or whatever), and they get so flustered they eat 5 cheeseburgers.

C). They grow tired of WiiFit because of the gameplay and go back to their regular sedentary activities.

These are typical attitudes of people in even half respectable regiments when they're not used to it. Not only that, but the body does have a tendency to want to regress. Failed attempts are sometimes worse than not at all.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:09 PM   #62
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigenD
H
C). They grow tired of WiiFit because of the gameplay and go back to their regular sedentary activities.
This is what will happen to near 100% within 4 months of purchase
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:19 PM   #63
nemecb

Quote:
Here's the thing, it may NOT improve their health, and like I pointed out before, it may actually make it worse. The Wiimote itself is more strenuous than beneficial, just the strain it puts on joints and such. WiiFit was designed by game makers, not fitness experts. That alone suggests to me it too may be more harmful than good.

Scenario :

Out of shape person buys WiiFit believing it will help them out at least somewhat, like you suggest. They play a lot the first day and get really worn out and then :

A). They're so worn out from day or week one that they think they did a good job so they eat 2 sundaes, or don't work as hard in their day to day life for the next 2 weeks (because they ache

B). They step on the Wii scale and see they GAINED 5 POUNDS (water weight, muscle, or whatever), and they get so flustered they eat 5 cheeseburgers.

These are typical attitudes of people in even half respectable regiments when they're not used to it. Not only that, but the body does have a tendency to want to regress. Failed attempts are sometimes worse than not at all.
Everything you said applies to any kind of exercise, so essentially you're saying nobody should ever try to do anything because they might fail and get discouraged.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:27 PM   #64
JigenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Everything you said applies to any kind of exercise, so essentially you're saying nobody should ever try to do anything because they might fail and get discouraged.
It applies to all unguided, improperly followed exercise. There's a big benefit to joining a gym or getting a personal trainer because then you have someone to talk to and to keep you motivated. People buy all sorts of equipment to fill that gap, but it's not very effective.

Basically people shouldn't buy WiiFit.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:46 PM   #65
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Basically people shouldn't buy WiiFit.
I disagree

I think all the NVNews members defending Wiifit should buy it and post videos of them "working out".
Old 05-15-08, 06:58 PM   #66
XDanger
Whaaat?

If it encourages them to get off their fat arses and move about a bit for longer than 5 minutes then it cant be all bad

My GF is test subject 1, I'll see how she does and report back.
Old 05-15-08, 07:08 PM   #67
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
My GF is test subject 1, I'll see how she does and report back.
please tell me you aren't introducing that poor girl to this thing....
Old 05-16-08, 07:13 AM   #68
ralinn
Masters

Seems everyone that doesn't like it hasn't played it and are basing all of their opinions on assumptions.

JigenD, not everyone can afford a personal trainer or a membership at a gym. Heck, even a lot of people don't feel comfy with exercising with an audience and would rather do it in private. Wii Fit does explain a lot about the exercises you do, shows you how to do them correctly, encourages you to keep doing it and even creates a schedule, deadline and goals to reach. But of course you wouldn't know that would you... because you've not actually _played_ it.

A lot of people need or like things like this and that's why it's selling so well. It IS helpful and fits in with a lot of people life styles.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-08, 07:20 AM   #69
ralinn
Masters

Quote:

Scenario :

All that crap is based off of what you ASSUME Wii Fit is. Same for Tygerwoody.

Old 05-16-08, 08:52 AM   #70
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralinn
Seems everyone that doesn't like it hasn't played it and are basing all of their opinions on assumptions.

JigenD, not everyone can afford a personal trainer or a membership at a gym. Heck, even a lot of people don't feel comfy with exercising with an audience and would rather do it in private. Wii Fit does explain a lot about the exercises you do, shows you how to do them correctly, encourages you to keep doing it and even creates a schedule, deadline and goals to reach. But of course you wouldn't know that would you... because you've not actually _played_ it.

A lot of people need or like things like this and that's why it's selling so well. It IS helpful and fits in with a lot of people life styles.
lol you are still defending the bathroom scale as a legit training device? LOL!!! Give it up already. Its a gimmick. Accept you are wrong for actually believing its anything more and move on.
Old 05-16-08, 10:06 AM   #71
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos
Apparently people in the US seem to want this thing pretty badly.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/06/wi...-every-minute/
a lot more people in USA need it compared to Europe
Old 05-16-08, 02:02 PM   #72
ralinn
Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
lol you are still defending the bathroom scale as a legit training device? LOL!!! Give it up already. Its a gimmick. Accept you are wrong for actually believing its anything more and move on.
Are you that determined to troll? I think I'm going to use a quote that's quite popular lately:

"Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I think you should accept that you don't actually have a clue what you're on about and only joined in this thread for another opportunity to slag off the Wii and maybe pimp your old thread (Which was funny actually). Anyway, yawn.