Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-28-08, 11:27 PM   #1
gavron

Default "nvidia" fails but "nv" works for presentation expanding-circle on 8400. 7300 ok.

I'll try to put as much detail as I can. I know I have few posts, but I'm no newbie.

Symptom: With the Nvidia drivers the expanding circle effect is very jerky, halty, and slow. With the open-source nv driver, it's smooth the way it's supposed to be. This is on an 8400.

This has manifested since 2.6.23 and manifests on 2.6.24 and 2.6.25. The former was a Fedora build and the latter two a vanilla kernel and a wireless-testing kernel respectively.

This has manifested with versions of drivers from 2006 through the latest 173.08 beta.

IT MANIFESTS on a GeForce 8400GS rev a1 (Dell XPS) and does not manifest on a GeForce Go 7300 rev ai (Dell D620).

The powerpoint presentation effect did not work on the XPS. It did work on the D620 with Desktop Effects working. I then experimented on a virgin XPS, eventually giving up and trying Knoppix. Knoppix with "nv" worked.

I then copied xorg.conf, and it worked on Fedora with 2.6.25.
Changing nv -> nvidia loaded the nvidia driver but the bad stuff was back. Changing it back to nv fixed it again.

So... on an 8400GS, "nvidia" is a driver that has performance issues. "nv" is fine. On a 7300 "nvidia" is just fine (and I haven't used "nv" on it in ages).

If providing the ODP or PPT will help, let me know and I'll get the (C) owner permission to share his presentation.

If other information I can provide will help to diagnose or narrow this down. I've no issues with building kernels, git bisects, etc.

Ehud
gavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 04:31 PM   #2
gavron

Default Re: "nvidia" fails but "nv" works for presentation expanding-circle on 8400. 7300 o

Maybe I didn't phrase it well enough. When viewing a PowerPoint or Open Document presentation, there is an effect you can select to make the next slide open as a circle in the center of the screen that rapidly expands showing the next slide.

On a 7300 that effect works great using any of the drivers I've used and any kernels all the way back from 2006.

On an 8400GS using any driver including the very latest 173.08 that supports it, the nvidia driver is JERKY and SLOW and takes FOREVER for the circle to grow. It grows a bit. Then a bit more. Then a bit more. Finally the corners remain. Then they too are replaced.

This does not occur with the open-source "nv" driver using the exact same configuration.

In other words I have a full working nvidia-driver configuration with Compiz, wobbly windows, etc. etc. and all is great. EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE ITEM. Substituting "nv" for "nvidia" in the driver (of course makes all the AIGLX fail but) fixes the circle problem and makes it display perfectly.

Other than submitting a video showing this... what other information can I collect to demonstrate the problem?

Hardware is a Dell XPS 1300.
Kernel is various 2.6.23(Fedora), 2.6.24(Fedora), 2.6.25(Vanilla), and 2.6.25(Wireless-testing).

Again: "nv" works, "nvidia" doesn't.

Any help or hints would be appreciated. I've read the README and I've searched the forums and I've googled and I've even read all the "2D stuff sucks on 88xx" threads... but nothing helpful was gleaned.

Thanks in advance,

Ehud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavron
I'll try to put as much detail as I can. I know I have few posts, but I'm no newbie.

Symptom: With the Nvidia drivers the expanding circle effect is very jerky, halty, and slow. With the open-source nv driver, it's smooth the way it's supposed to be. This is on an 8400.

This has manifested since 2.6.23 and manifests on 2.6.24 and 2.6.25. The former was a Fedora build and the latter two a vanilla kernel and a wireless-testing kernel respectively.

This has manifested with versions of drivers from 2006 through the latest 173.08 beta.

IT MANIFESTS on a GeForce 8400GS rev a1 (Dell XPS) and does not manifest on a GeForce Go 7300 rev ai (Dell D620).

The powerpoint presentation effect did not work on the XPS. It did work on the D620 with Desktop Effects working. I then experimented on a virgin XPS, eventually giving up and trying Knoppix. Knoppix with "nv" worked.

I then copied xorg.conf, and it worked on Fedora with 2.6.25.
Changing nv -> nvidia loaded the nvidia driver but the bad stuff was back. Changing it back to nv fixed it again.

So... on an 8400GS, "nvidia" is a driver that has performance issues. "nv" is fine. On a 7300 "nvidia" is just fine (and I haven't used "nv" on it in ages).

If providing the ODP or PPT will help, let me know and I'll get the (C) owner permission to share his presentation.

If other information I can provide will help to diagnose or narrow this down. I've no issues with building kernels, git bisects, etc.

Ehud
Old 04-29-08, 04:55 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: "nvidia" fails but "nv" works for presentation expanding-circle on 8400. 7300 o

Hi gavron,

Does this problem reproduce with 169.12? Also, does it go away if you disable compiz?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 12:28 AM   #4
FuturePilot

Default Re: "nvidia" fails but "nv" works for presentation expanding-circle on 8400. 7300 ok.

I've noticed the same type of poor performance from Impress's transitions. The new OpenGL ones work great, but the regular ones are really slow and choppy. I'd have to imagine it's some 2D rendering performance issue.
I'm using a GeForce 2 Go with the 96.43.05 driver. I'm not using Compiz either.
FuturePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 10:21 PM   #5
gavron

Aaron, the problem reproduces with 169.12.
The problem does not go away if compiz is disabled.

The only way I've gotten it to go away is use "nv" (and of course compiz won't run that way).

Thanks for looking into this, please let me know what I can do to help diagnostics (including sending you the laptop).

Ehud
PS Sorry for top-posting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Hi gavron,

Does this problem reproduce with 169.12? Also, does it go away if you disable compiz?
Old 05-01-08, 02:28 AM   #6
weltall

Default Re: "nvidia" fails but "nv" works for presentation expanding-circle on 8400. 7300 ok.

i noticed low performance too, not so bad but like not very fluid animations.
It seems also that in no xinerama dual x screen setups with presentation made in a different screen from where impress editor is makes animations go at about 1fps which is quite slow... enabling xinerama and doing still the presentation on the different screen makes impress perform like on single screen (or on same screen setup). But i'm unsure if it's really nvidia driver fault or impress fault (after all openoffice isn't known to have the best performance out there) so for now i've just opened an issue in openoffice bugzilla http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=88555
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 06:14 AM   #7
gavron

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltall
i noticed low performance too, not so bad but like not very fluid animations.
It seems also that in no xinerama dual x screen setups with presentation made in a different screen from where impress editor is makes animations go at about 1fps which is quite slow... enabling xinerama and doing still the presentation on the different screen makes impress perform like on single screen (or on same screen setup). But i'm unsure if it's really nvidia driver fault or impress fault (after all openoffice isn't known to have the best performance out there) so for now i've just opened an issue in openoffice bugzilla http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=88555
Yes, that is why it took me a while to post here. I assumed an application error.

Still, switch "nv" in for "nvidia" (or boot knoppix and it all works fine. Use "nvidia" and the slow choppy performance remains.

Nvidia: let me know if you want me to ship you the laptop so you can see it first hand. This is specific to the driver...

Ehud
Old 05-06-08, 04:18 PM   #8
gavron

This is the option that makes NV work, but does not work with NVIDIA:
Code:
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
With that option and nothing else other than "driver nv" the rendering of the 2D effects in Presentation are smooth, fast, and great on the 8400.

Without that option "nv" behaves exactly like "nvidia". Clunky. Slow. Etc.

I hope that helps diagnose the issue.

Ehud