Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-03, 11:16 AM   #1
digitalwanderer

Exclamation I'm taking the plunge again...XP, take 4.

Yeah, so I decided to give XP another go again....I never bothered re-installing it since me last 98se re-install and I haven't really missed it. But Rightmark3D won't run on XP, so I'm going back to a dual-boot 98se/XP.

I HATE XP!

Sorry, had to get that out. 98se makes sense to me and it fits me well, too many years of playing with it probably helped. XP isn't as intuitive to me to tweak, so I still get some headaches with it. (Actually, I generally end up tweaking it "one step over the line" and abandoning the install. )

Any advice/tips for a fresh XP install? Should I do SP1 or not? Which dets are good for XP right now?

Any input appreciated. I'm not a noob with XP anymore since I've been thru this a few times now, but I ain't an oldhand at it by any means. I just figured that I've never whined about me XP experiences here so I thought it might be a change-o-pace.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 02:11 PM   #2
The Baron

Always clean install.

SP1 is your friend if you use the speed patch (I'll find the URL later).

43.51s seem to work fine for me.

XP is a much superior OS if for no other reason than its ease of tweaking and repair compared to 98SE. You can actually tell what's going on in XP (event viewer, Administrative Tools, etc. al), where in 98SE you're kinda left in the dark.
Old 05-04-03, 08:44 PM   #3
StealthHawk

What's this speed patch you're talking about?
Old 05-04-03, 09:15 PM   #4
netviper13
Treehugger

There's a bug in SP1 that can cause programs to take up to 20 times longer than normal to start up. Microsoft released a patch to fix it.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 09:39 PM   #5
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Instead of XP install 2000, I love win2k
Old 05-04-03, 11:50 PM   #6
digitalwanderer

Default XP=YUCK!

Man, I just picked up 2K too and was thinking of giving it a go!

XP is doing ok, but I'm having severe difficulty with the brightness control in "Enclave"...which is sort of why I re-installed it. It's just too bloody dark and the brightness control doesn't have any effect!

I tried 43.51, 41.09, & 30.86 and they all did the same thing whether I adjusted the levels thru control panel or rivatuner, low-level or driver level.

What did I miss, how'd I screw up? More importantly, how do I get the gamma control to work in D3D games in XP?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 08:33 AM   #7
Mojo
Suck my balls

speed patch?

im using SP1 but know of no such a patch...

a link would be thuper ^_^

Mojo
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 03:50 PM   #8
The Baron

Because I'm everyone's buddy:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=9274

Old 05-05-03, 04:19 PM   #9
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Instead of XP install 2000, I love win2k
I concur, 2k > xp.
Old 05-05-03, 05:34 PM   #10
Riptide

Regarding the speed issue aforementioned, take a look at the controversy around hotfix (sp2) Q811493. I would suggest NOT installing this if you have.

It caused my girlfriend's Dell 4550 Dimension to get pauses after you try and open programs up. Remove this "fix" and the problem went away. Her PC is not the only one out there having problems with this stupid security patch.

My P4PE, on the other hand, has no problem with that patch. I removed it anyway, just in case.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 10:07 PM   #11
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Because I'm everyone's buddy:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=9274
yer such a nice guy
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 10:56 PM   #12
The Baron

To quote The JuiceZ (who, once again, is LooseZ):

Quote:
MikeC bat phone
I cannot tell you how much that made my day. Now get him to reply to my emails, and I'll send you $20.