Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-03, 05:57 AM   #1
Ilkkal

Default Problem with Mandrake 9.1 and nvidia drivers

Hi,

I yesterday installed the nvidia graphics driveres (version 4363) for my Mandrake 9.1 system with an ELSA Gladiac 511 Geforce MX 400 grphics card. Since then I haven't been abled to boot directly to X. If I boot in failsafe mode and then choose X and networking, everything seems ok and X starts. Also, if I manually load the nvidia module by typing "insmod nvidia", the module is loaded with the following messages:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Module nvidia loaded, with warnings

After starting in failsafe mode or manualy loading the module, everything seems to work and I can run OpenGL appliacations like tucracer.

Any hints of how to proceed? A copy of my XFree86.0.log is attached. This log is the one recorded when I try to boot directly to X.
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (13.9 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Ilkkal; 05-04-03 at 07:55 AM.
Ilkkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 05:58 AM   #2
Ilkkal

Here is my XF86Config-4.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (2.7 KB, 167 views)
Old 05-04-03, 04:22 PM   #3
djembeman

Default Same here

Another poster had helped me get off the ground, but now I am in the same situation you are.

If I try to boot right into X i get the same message. However, if I boot failsafe and manually modprobe (error here) and then startx I get X with OpenGL-- and can play tuxracer!

What does 'modprobe' do? and does it stick??
djembeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 06:15 PM   #4
bwkaz

Are you BOTH using Mandrake? To get the module to load automatically at boot, you just add "nvidia" to /etc/modules in Mandrake.

The "tainted" message has NO influence whatsoever on anything, unless you try to submit a bugreport to the kernel mailinglist. Since the kernel developers can't see the source for everything, they can't try to track down bugs unless you can reproduce them with no tainting. Click on your own link for the explanation. This is NOT an error; the module loads just fine.

djembeman -- if you're using a different distro, you have to do something different.

You also asked what modprobe does -- it loads a kernel module into memory. Since it loads it into memory, it is not permanent; you have to get the system to reload it on every boot.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 03:18 AM   #5
Ilkkal

I got it to work. I booted my system in failsafe mode when I originally installed the module, which apparently is not the way to do it. When I booted in normal mode, switched to runlevel 3 and reinstalled the module, it started to load automatically on startup. Everything seems to be working right now.