Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-08, 02:12 AM   #1
Xinef

Default Debate on "An Open Letter" by Spline32

Spline32 seems to be trying to evaluate the opinion of the forum's population in the following thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112520

He expressed sensible and moderate views about the situation of Nvidia's Linux drivers and asked the rest of us to undersign if we agreed or pass our way if we didn't.
I personally believe this is a positive idea, but since the debate is so difficult to avoid, I suggest we leave the original thread intact and for signature purpose only, and move all the talk and arguing here.
Spline32, would you be kind enough to edit your original post in order to redirect the people who cannot help but comment to come to this thread ?
Regards
Xinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 02:17 AM   #2
Spline32

Default Re: Debate on "An Open Letter" by Spline32

Will do =)
Spline32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 02:19 AM   #3
Spline32

Default Repost from original thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
a)
Please do not use 'we'.

b)
Suspend-to-ram works for me from the nvidia-driver POV. The one thing that breaks is usb - no matter if I use the nvidia driver or not. So if YOU have suspend problems, try to reproduce them without the driver - and spam your distribution about it when they don't go away.

c)
>There has been a sort of break down of communication between the community and yourselves.

really? zander&co still surf the forum. They don't answer every post (especially the more whiney or agressive ones). But they never did. Because - well, they do have to do stuff besides surfing the forum, like working on the driver. There aren't many devs for the linux drivers and with all the problems nvidia faces, we all should be glad that they are still investing man power into the linux drivers instead of shoving everything to the windows side.

One problem is the lack of GOOD bug reports. What we have is a lot of finger pointing and whining. That really does not help.
a) Sorry about that, i figured it was more grammatically correct after a single person replied in support.

b) many distros consider suspend to be broken on nvidia drivers. This is not limited to nvidia entirely but it is not random either. Ignoring a problem does not make it go away, nor does it hurt to ask. I was trying to use a supportive and calm tone.

c) many questions do seem to go unanswered. this was mostly a personal observation, and it seems some people agree. Again, I am not trying to point fingers and have pointed out that we as a community are far from perfect here too.

I wish you had brought this up with me less publicly as I dont wish to detract from things here. I want nvidia to know I, and others too it seems, think they are doing their best and we just want a little more feedback. It seems there is some feedback here and there but its not very visible because its often buried deep in threads. This was a mistake I made when writing this. I apologize.

Again, if this came off as whiny or aggressive it was not intended as such. I would, in fact, prefer the thread removed if that is the case. I was hoping to contribute to part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Old 05-01-08, 03:13 AM   #4
pawels133

Quote:
we all should be glad that they are still investing man power into the linux drivers instead of shoving everything to the windows side.
They're doing this not because of good will, but it's in their interest. If they stop just CU nvidia. Linux no longer can be treated worse than windows. I'm not glad, because my card sucks a lot under Linux.
Old 05-02-08, 12:08 AM   #5
Gregor A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
What we have is a lot of finger pointing and whining. That really does not help.
But it helps to prioritize ...

I don't know why but energyman76b never criticize nvidia.

Simply ignore his comments...
I think, he will not really help.

What he means is:
The customers have to shut up, after pay for the products.
The customers have to search the problems everywhere but not on nvidia.

My GF8800GTS loses more than the half of their price on waiting for a better driver.

I feel deceived. The card was from the beginning officially and without restrictions supported.
Nobody from NVIDIA wrote something about problems with speed.
Gregor A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 09:19 AM   #6
pawels133

Quote:
This thread is turning into a flame war, so I'm closing it.
Heh, it's very comfortable for nvidia. Moderator closed thread, because of stupid troll. IMHO he should delete troll message etc. I wonder if someone will attempt to start trolling over windows forum moderators will be closing threads?
Old 05-02-08, 09:39 AM   #7
_Inferno_

I hope this isn't an attempt by Nvidia to cover up their driver issues...

It's a lot easier to delete forum threads then to solve development issues isn't it?

Dave
_Inferno_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 11:24 AM   #8
Spline32

I don't wish to cause the folks here some kind of controversy. Let us at least for the moment work under the assumption that this was just a poor decision made by a lone moderator with no pressure from above. Until evidence to the contrary presents itself, we should do our best to leave our speculations at the door.

Jason

Old 05-03-08, 09:15 AM   #9
Xinef

This is indeed a very disappointing decision.
On the other hand, feeding the troll with answers just gave the moderator one (contestable) reason to his reaction. The very reason of the debate thread was to keep the original one clean and act as a firewall.
Anyways, I feel very sorry to see how little rewarding being polite and correct can be, even on this forum.

EDIT: replaced "nVidia's" by "this", which doesn't change the meaning of my sentence.
I am not trying to accuse nVidia of anything, I am just pointing out how sorry I am to see how the most constructive attempts can be wiped out so easily.
Xinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 11:25 AM   #10
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Xinef,

I have to remind you that these forums are not run by NVIDIA and while some of the moderators, such as myself, do work for NVIDIA, others do not. NVIDIA does not set policy for or control the actions of the moderators and administrators here.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 03:35 PM   #11
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

It is very disappointing to see thread closing used so freely, with a page full of legitimate discussion and only 3 posts starting an argument. Having moderated high volume forums in the past I understand the tendency to do that... its much faster to close a thread than to edit, move, or split posts; but its also highly destructive to the community.

In any case, the issues brought up by Spline have been long-standing and I would hope eventually get some attention. The development process of the linux driver seems to be critically flawed in that the community sees very few updates and even fewer chances to try beta drivers and provide quality feedback.

The linux user base is a group of people willing and accustomed to providing feedback on things that don't work well... yet what we see from a user's perspective is that the Windows drivers have many betas released, allowing the windows users to provide that critical feedback on new hardware. How anyone can expect the linux drivers to result in the same quality as the windows side when months go by between releases, and one beta driver appears rarely, is truly astounding. This is even more frustrating when considering that the windows system changes very infrequently while the development pace in the linux world is extremely rapid and dynamic.

NVIDIA developers have an enormous resource in the linux user base that is not being utilized to help make the drivers better right now. More frequent beta driver releases would be a huge step forward.
Old 05-03-08, 05:31 PM   #12
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
NVIDIA developers have an enormous resource in the linux user base that is not being utilized to help make the drivers better right now. More frequent beta driver releases would be a huge step forward.
Indeed.

However I would like to point out that the windows driver team is significantly larger and better funded that the linux team, but personally I wouldn't mind beta driver breakages if they were more frequent.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote