Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-04, 02:11 AM   #1
SimFox3

Default GTK2 + NVIDIA Modules ( Please Help )

HI Everyone,
For the last month, I have been through hell and then
straight into the frying pan and then back to hell.

And I beg you people to save me,... have mercy..

ProbleM;
Any ... I repeat ANY GTK2 application causes the X server to commit a
hard crash. I have tried Xorg 6.7.0, Xorg HEAD CVS, XFree86 4.4, XFree86

I have tried GTK 2.4... then back to GTK 2.2... I have tried NVIDIA
modules from the 4 series 4xxx to 5 5xxx to the newest 5341.

I got so frustrated, that I COMPLETELY reinstalled my BELFS system....
TOOK HOURS OF WORK.

Guess what? Same problem... I then again tried various combinations of
the above applications to no success.

For testing, I use the Hello World example... I recompile it every time
I start the X server and then try running it.. EVERY time the X server
crashes saying: Fatal Server Error. Caught Signal 11. If unresolved symbols were reported above... they might be the reason why the server crashed. However there is no symbols above.. just informational messages on how the mouse was sucessfully configured.

I tried with 'start -- -logverbose 5' ... not a single more beep of
message concerning this error (even in the XFree86.0.log).

My BELFS System:
Linux 2.6.5
Gcc 3.4.0
Glibc 2.3.4 (cvs branch) (TLS)

I know its not a hardware problem, because my backup parition with
Slackware 9.1, has the 2.6.5 kernel with XFree86 4.3 running
NVIDIA-5336 perfectly.

ALso its only with GTK 2 applications (GTK 1 are fine). ALso all GL
applications run fine. I just ran UT 2004 with 50 fps average on this
LAPTOP.. ... Just need GTK 2 to work PLEASE!..

Also the open source nv drivers work fine for GTk2 applications... (I
can't test OPENGL on them because closed-source nvidia installed its own
libraries).

I hope you can help me.

Saad.
SimFox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 02:28 AM   #2
hppnq

Default Re: GTK2 + NVIDIA Modules ( Please Help )

Before digging really deep into it: have you checked whether your kernel uses 4K stacks? Turning this feature on will result in segmentation faults when using the nvidia driver, which is what you see.

(Please search this forum a bit to find out more about this problem, there's plenty of information -- alas. ;-)
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 06:20 PM   #3
SimFox3

Unhappy Re: GTK2 + NVIDIA Modules ( Please Help )

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq
Before digging really deep into it: have you checked whether your kernel uses 4K stacks?
Thanks for the Reply. I have the Stock KERNEL 2.6.5, and don't have an option to use the 4k Stacks. In anycase, I got the diff for the 2.66-rc3 and compiled the kernel.

I do see the option now for CONFIG_4KSTACK, but it is already disabled by default.

Same problem though.

Any other hints or suggestions greatly appreciated.. Thanks
Old 05-06-04, 12:02 AM   #4
SimFox3

I tried building the 2.4 kernel series, but there is no way its going to work. The gcc compiler 3.4.0 won't even get past the first line of code... sigh

Anyone have any ideas I can try out? (short of reinstalling LFS instead of BELFS)

Thanks.
Old 05-06-04, 01:40 AM   #5
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Kernel 2.4.x should be built with a gcc 3.2.x or earlier compiler only, preferrably with 2.95-3 (this is still the lowest common denominator... therefore the expected to work compiler).

Compiling X, the kernel, or even gtk apps on 3.4 is likely to show some bugs in the compiler... have you tried using a 3.3.x version of gcc yet? I highly recommend you check this. What you describe should not be causing the X server to crash in an otherwise healthy system.

Do you have CONFIG_REGPARM enabled in the kernel?
Old 05-06-04, 01:46 AM   #6
hppnq

Please post your XF86Config, the XFree86 log and the last (relevant) bit of /var/log/messages.

Can you also pick a small Gtk2 application and run it through strace and ltrace (and post the output ;-)?

Unfortunately gcc 3.4 doesn't seem to sit well with the 2.4 kernel, maybe you should try 2.95 or 3.0 if you want to give the 2.4 kernel a spin.
Old 05-06-04, 12:10 PM   #7
SimFox3

Thanks for the Replies guys.

I will definitely downgrade to 3.2 series when I come back from School. What should I reinstall? The kernel only or XFree86 also?

Also I don't know how to do an strace or ltrace... Could someone teach me please.. yeah I know.. i'm

Last but not least: Attached are tails of the log files you requested.

XFree86.0.log
[root@FireFox ~]# cat XFree86.0.log
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Kernel Input Handler" (type: Other)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

*** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
*** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

kern.log
[root@FireFox ~]# cat kern.log
May 6 09:51:52 localhost kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
May 6 09:51:52 localhost kernel: 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-5336 Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
May 6 09:52:19 localhost kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
May 6 09:52:19 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
May 6 09:52:19 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
May 6 09:52:19 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
May 6 09:52:19 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
May 6 09:52:19 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
May 6 09:52:19 localhost kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.

The atkbd.c errors also occur with the vesa and nv modules.. Also I have tried compiling agpgart and intel-agp as modules, but still no luck. I have also tried disabling agp.

I have attached my XF86Config instead of Posting it. (The attachment has a txt extension because it wouldn't allow just XF86Config).

Thanks so much for your help. Really Appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (2.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-06-04, 04:22 PM   #8
SimFox3

I'm So Screwed!

I can't even compile gcc 3.2.1 or gcc 3.3.1.. It goes compiling happily for sometime, but then it gives error at different places. I don't even wanna try 2.95.3.

I googled around, but no one else had this problem (but they weren't using the gcc 3.4.0) compiler.

I'm thinking about dropping belfs, format the partition, get stable lfs and upgrading kernel to 2.6.... but before I do that, does anyone have any other ideas on how I can fix my initial problem (nvidia + gtk2) for future reference to other poor belfs souls? Is there a way to increase logging of the XFree86 to show which libraries are being called?

Thanks.
Saad.

Old 05-06-04, 08:22 PM   #9
tamran

I had this very problem on the weekend and I believe it has something to do with either installing the new gnome stuff, or gtk? Anyway, what was happening was while using evolution I'd click on a link in an email an *poof* "sig 11". Opening a directory in xmms would also cause it, along with changing font colors in any gdesklets display. I couldn't seem to fix it and no one else had a solution ... however a fresh re-install from scratch seemed to fix it. I sense it's a configuration issue and my googling has turned up some insight.

This has happend to certain people with bad or corrupted fonts. I couldn't find a solution that way either, but if someone knows how to solve this, I'll buy them a beer

Tamran
tamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 01:29 AM   #10
hppnq

@SimFox3: if you can it might be best to start all over again with a fresh install indeed. Your problem does look an awful lot like it's really a GTK2 problem, possibly related to X. It's less likely to be an Nvidia problem.

Try reinstalling GTK2, or the whole distribution if necessary, but also check whether your firmware/bios is up to date (can't hurt, can it? ;-).

By the way, strace and ltrace are programs that allow you to see what system or library calls are made when running a program. You simply invoke them like "strace <program>" (man strace for more information). Given the nature of your problem, it is quite unlikely that this will turn up anything useful -- but if you can run a strace and ltrace for me, that wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-07-04, 02:21 AM   #11
chrisdupre
chrisdupre

Sim Fox,
Try gentoo linux if you reinstall. I got a AMD64 and I use gnome 2.4, everything works great. As far as the Xfree86 I thought that you had the module as "nv" at first but I found out you had the "nvidia" module (which is the correct module) installed instead. The driver should also be named "nvidia". If you need any help with installing gentoo let me know. Gentoo also has a great forum where you could ask questions.
I use GTK 2.2 works like a charm.
Good Luck,
Chris Dupre
chrisdupre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 05:02 AM   #12
Thunderbird

In the past there have been Gtk2 issues too and in those cases it was related to bugs in the Render extension. Try disabling hw acceleration of it using: Option "NoRenderAccel" ("1", but this last thing isn't needed).
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote