Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: World of Warcraft, Guild Wars or something else?
World of Warcraft. 11 50.00%
Guild Wars. 3 13.64%
Something else. 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-08, 03:37 AM   #1
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR
Question World of Warcraft or Guild Wars?

Having played a load of first person shooters over the years(BF series, COD series ect) & having never played a MMORPG ... EVER! .... Im looking for a new type of game, somthing different to the FPS im used to, i have decided to give MMORPGs a blast, basically i dont know what to start with! WOW, GW or something else(please state), keep in mind that i have never played a MMORPG before!

Feel free to voice opinions & views ect!
Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 03:44 AM   #2
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR
Default Re: World of Warcraft or Guild Wars?

I hear people speaking of "a party\joining a party" ... what is this about?
Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 03:47 AM   #3
Badboy_12345

If you never played then WoW is the easiest to get into
GW is not an mmorpg and is almost nothing like a mmorpg

But I would also recommend Age of Conan. Its coming out this month and is awesome

It depends on what style of games you like. Cellshaded fluffy graphics or adult dark graphics with violence, blood and story.

I quit WoW because of the graphics the gameplay in itself is awesome but I like more darker tone on my game. Im in AoC beta now and can say its the next big MMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR
I hear people speaking of "a party\joining a party" ... what is this about?
well mmo's are all about grouping up with people and playing/chatting with them. Some quests you must join and have help from others to complete. So you create a party or join someone else who wants to do the same quests as you
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 07:58 AM   #4
Yaboze

Yeah, Wow is much more polished and established, I recommend that.

Conan is nice and all, but it's very buggy, laggy and just runs poorly. It feels unfinished and it's coming out in 2 weeks. I hope they can turn it out, but I dunno.

Guild Wars isn't a MMO, it kinda plays like one, but you are only together with other people when in the cities or PvPing. If you go out to do a quest, you are alone and it's kinda like a single player game.

Some quests or foes need a group to complete or take down, you simply can't do it alone, so you form a temporary party so your combined strength, healing, etc can complete it. Everyone in the party gets credit for the success of the task. Without a party, if you were to attack a big boss guy alone and people helped you, you would get credit for the kill but they wouldn't.

It's kinda like playing Co-op but with 5+ people. Groups of 5 can be combined in WoW to form a raid, for a max of 40 (8 groups of 5 people).
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 11:20 AM   #5
Sgt_Pitt

Warhammer ftw
Old 05-05-08, 11:23 AM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze
Conan is nice and all, but it's very buggy, laggy and just runs poorly. It feels unfinished and it's coming out in 2 weeks. I hope they can turn it out, but I dunno.
it feels laggy because its beta that still runs in debug mode.

i agree with Badboy_12345, i'm playing the Age of Conan beta right now, its quite good, also would recommend it.

i used to like GW, but lost intrest once i hit level 20
Old 05-05-08, 11:43 AM   #7
7oPd4wG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze
Don't let post's like these change your mind about a game, Yes no lies there is a very tiny bit of lag, but it's beta and they are stressing the servers to make sure they can handle it. Not to mention the debugger running in the background. Also it isn't using dual cores or quads or sli or Dx10. Age of Conan for me has run smooth and is very excellent so far it will crush wow and guildwars.
E8400@ 4.05 AC freezer pro 7| EVGA 780i | 2X EVGA 260 FTW SLI | 4GB PC8500 @1066 5-5-5-15-2t 2.1v| 2 250GB WD SATA HARD DRIVES RAID 0 | FATALITY X-FI PROFESSIONAL | Asus VW266H Monitor | Corsair 750 Watt | Windows 7 x64 build 7100 RC
7oPd4wG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 12:18 PM   #8
nrdstrm

Age of Conan

This game is pretty damn amazing, and has the best visuals in an MMO to date IMO. The voice acting is outstanding for an MMO, as are the quests. I've not PVP'd yet, only solo (the PVP in the beta is pretty limited). Also, a thing of note. The "Closed" beta testers (most are in "Open") are using a much newer client that is **supposedly** alot better...Time will tell, but so far this game is amazing...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-08, 05:59 PM   #9
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

WoW is very polished and has lots of content. However starting out, I suggest you try and find the newest server up, that way you know you have alot of people who are also leveling up that you can group with.

Guild Wars is like a MMO, except only cities are persistant. Youll be fighting in a group with NPCs, or a group you formed before hand. Its spell system is a little harder to get used to because many spells uses are not always apparent. In WoW, a spells use is pretty black and white.

My guide to choose between both is,

Guild Wars; Better PvP (the best class palance for pvp), death penalties are temporary and entering a city resets it, so dieing is OK. Ability to instantly port from outpost to outpost (once you have discovered it) allows you to quickly get into the game, and getting out just as fast. Guild Wars has alot of people on 24 hours a day, so if you play at odd hours of the morning, youll still find people to group with. No monthly fees. The majority of content can be done solo (with computer controled henchment and heros to help you). You wont get much of a deal on buying the expansions though unless you find a store clearing out its old stock.

WoW; Better PvE (you vs monsters), better quest over all, persistent world, far more variety of armors and weapons. ENDGAME, once you hit the highest level there are still better armors and weapons to obtain, epic encounters to take part in. Part of Guild Wars balance is the lack of super powered armor and weapons that would destroy other players. This is also why I don't like WoWs PvP. WoW is very group oriented. You can solo your way to 70 and complete most quest, but dungeons with the rare and epic armors require groups. If you find a fledgling server you are more likely to find people who are at the same levels as you to do dungeons with. A common problem today is due to fast leveling and lack of people leveling characters, pre expansion dungeons are a ghost town.
Old 05-06-08, 09:10 PM   #10
Tr1cK
not coming back

Anything but Korean MMOs, which includes Guild Wars. They all suck....bad. The only decent game NCSoft has going is Dungeon Runners, which is free if that tells you anything.

WoW has had its run with me since 2004. I'm just wasting time until Conan is released to give it a go. It is supposed to be out around May 20th. I'd wait for it instead of playing anything else right now.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 03:18 PM   #11
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

and tr1ck obviously has no idea what a good rpg is. ^^

Guild wars level 1-20 is quite excellent, and I had plenty of fun doing the other expansions at level 20. Its just that onces youve gone through everything once..or a couple times.. theres not a whole lot to do after. Theres no factions to grind, items to collect for epics. No raid dungions. Also guild wars actually dosnt take to traditional raiding very well. It can be quite difficult to get the npc's to do what you want them to do.

Dungeon runners...looked like crap and no one plays it..done.