Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-06-08, 11:11 AM   #1
wichne

Default Quadro FX550 gives garbled screen

Hi, I'm having a problem with a Quadro FX550 running on SUSE Linux SLES 10.1.

Upon booting, the initial text screen showing bios and hardware info has garbled text. Some characters are rendered incorrectly ('o's showing up as 'u's, etc), some characters are in color, and some are in reverse video. In addition, the screen is 'speckled': pixels are turned on or off incorrectly.

The speckling problem persists to the splash screen and any xwindows session I can get running.

The next problem is with video settings. I can get my monitor (a Dell 2407 WFP) to function using the default setting provided by installation, however the resolution isn't the native 1920x1200, the refresh is very poor, and the speckling problem gets worse when you move windows around.

So I've tried installing the latest nvidia driver (as per the instructions found on the nvidia and suse websites) and when I test the video settings, the screen goes wacky. Sometimes I can successfully kill the test with ctrl-alt-backspace, sometimes I can't. In such cases, I've tried switching to the console (via ctrl-alt-F1) to kill the xserver, but the screen is still not properly rendered in the console.

I've also tried manually setting the modeline in the xorg.conf to settings suggested by the nvidia-bug-report.log file and it still will only work under the xorg.conf.install conditions.

bug report file attached.

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (38.4 KB, 87 views)
wichne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 11:29 AM   #2
wichne

Default Re: Quadro FX550 gives garbled screen

Can anyone at least tell me if they think my card is going bad? Or can I solve this with correct drivers and settings?

The video bios or the connector must be funky if I'm seeing these weird characters on start-up, right?
wichne is offline   Reply With Quote