Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-08, 09:16 AM   #1
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Connecting to Access Point

I am pretty savvy when it comes to wireless networks and, as many members know, i manage an entire 200 person company's IT stuff, so when i get stumped.. i am really stumped.

What i am tryint to do is connect to an access point where i live. Let me explain.

I live in the country, and my community has an access point for satelite internet where i live. the way it works, for example, with a new pc, i connect to the unsecure wireless network then i go to firefox and my home page tries to load and i am sent to a page where i type in a username and password. once that login is done, it knows my MAC address and from then on out, i just go straight to the internetz.

What i am trying to do is connect to this thing with a device that will let my internet connection to more than 1 device, like my Wii and other tablet pc.

i just cant seem to figure out how to connect to that access poiint and have the username and password inputted.

you guys got any ideas?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 10:25 AM   #2
Revs

Default Re: Connecting to Access Point

How far is it letting you get? Is it connecting but not transceiving anything or just not connecting at all?
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 10:29 AM   #3
zoomy942

For me, i dont know how to make a router connect to another router. i have never done that before. and once i figure that out, i wont know how to make the router login and tell the access point its mac address
Old 04-24-08, 10:44 AM   #4
Revs

Are you wanting the routers to connect to each other wirelessly and then one of than to run as a DHCP access point aswell? Or both as DHCP access points that share one internet connection?
Old 04-24-08, 10:51 AM   #5
zoomy942

what i would like...

that DHCP router they have, i want to connect to it with my own wirelessly, then have my router DHCP to my devices in my house.

just as a side note, i tried connecting my Wii to it. It connected to theirs but wouldnt get to the web becasue the Wii didnt load their login page.

so you understand hwo it is setup... the owner of the only restaurant where i live has satelite internet, and Nomad ISP gave him a wireless router (its got really long range) so people in the area can connect. My company pays the $39 for access.
Old 04-24-08, 10:56 AM   #6
glObalist
working as intended

Try to do this via Internet Connection Sharing?

Access Point -> Your Machine (ICS) --> router with DHCP --> your other devices
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 10:57 AM   #7
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
Try to do this via Internet Connection Sharing?

Access Point -> Your Machine (ICS) --> router with DHCP --> your other devices

i thought of that, but i am trying to find a way to do it without that first, becaseu i dont have a desktop PC at my house, so I'm trying to avoid that. But if i have to, thatd be okay
Old 04-24-08, 11:26 AM   #8
Revs

I think the only way to do that is to have your wireless router as non-DHCP and have some port redirections setup in the router, which is beyond my understanding to set up. My house mate, Badoo (Infusion2k7), might know how to do this though. I'll ask him tonight when I get home. We have a similar setup at our house which he set up.

Old 04-24-08, 11:59 AM   #9
zoomy942

that would be excellent.

if i have to do the ICS, i guess i could, but i feel so proud of myself that i dont have a PC at home
Old 04-24-08, 03:01 PM   #10
Infusion2k7

Alrighty then... The way I would set this up is to get a wireless repeater or a router that has bridging capabilities. The way this works is by pairing the MAC address of both wireless access points, so that any devices connection will only see 1 access point, but can in actual fact connect to either.
Actually, thinking about it, all you will achieve is a wider internal range, because ou'll still need to get an IP address from somewhere.. hmmm...
OK, you could get around that by using a wireless switch or using a wireless router as a switch, i.e. ignore the routing part, because the satelitte connection handles the internet gateway. This will still leave the problem of logging in to log your MAC address.
(You may have guessed I'm just thinking out of my fingers)
Right.. The only feasable way of doing this is to log into the gateway router and manually add the MAC address of your wireless switch. This will route the internet to any device connecting to it. Make sure DHCP is turned off and manually set the IP address on your wireless devices so they are on the same IP range and subnet as the gateway, for example
Wii

I would set them below 192.168.1.100 as routers generally puke out addresses above 100, thus ruling out any IP conflicts with the rest of the people in your village.

To be honest this is a total bodge way around doing it and it allhinges on you having access to the gateway router and it's control panel letting you manually enter MAC addresses, and it not requiring authentication with your username and password first.

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet, find a crappy old PC from the broom cupboard at our work and using that with RCS. It's a sure fire solution to a funked up problem
Infusion2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote